mer photos
djellison
post Jun 15 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #61

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Just drop the cash straight into it.

Wish I could help more with ref. material - but with the KSC website you've got all there is really.

These may help - images taken by the rovers themselves :
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...HEP1152L0M1.JPG

http://pancam.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_ins...lse_color6.html ( left column, half way down)

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Jun 15 2007, 09:59 PM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 1097

djellison, first pic doesn't help at all. shows the bottom part of the mer arm which I have already modeled. what I am having trouble sorting out is the base of the instrument deployment device (idd - I sometimes surprise myself because of the things I learned researching stuff), which is the part that keeps the idd attached on the mer's body.

2nd link also provides same info. these photos would have helped me a lot earlier when I was studying crappy material to make things out. I'll keep them anyway smile.gif a great THANKS! smile.gif

if anyone is able to get the rear of the mer or the base of idd, please do so smile.gif for the idd I even emailed the original designers of the thing (alliance spacesystems) to provide me with material but didn't even reply. I guess they were afraid I might steal their patent! tongue.gif

--------------------
Highly Detailed3D Models on my site:

http://www.nicksotiriadis.gr

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Jun 27 2007, 08:50 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 678

Gargle blink.gif
The 3D model looks very spectacular. I'm amazed blink.gif

I have a question : is it possible that one day we can acceed to the model files (.3ds, .WRL or more for me : .blend (Blender files))

And I have an other question : how do you proceed to make the model : object by object or...?

--------------------

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Jun 27 2007, 08:54 AM
Post #64

well, as for you ppl accessing the files, prolly not smile.gif sorry!

as for the modeling process, yes, part by part (like exporting/texturing) and if i am tired and have no reference for one part i proceed to the next till i get reference! wink.gif more pics to come soon!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 27 2007, 02:52 PM
Post #65

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (scooterlord @ Jun 27 2007, 12:54 AM) *
well, as for you ppl accessing the files, prolly not smile.gif sorry!

I must say that comes as a bit of a disappointment Scooterlord. I've been watching your project all along was envisioning all the creative things that could be accomplished with the final product. Is this being created for commercial purposes?

You have obviously put in many dozens of hours of hard work and certainly have earned the right to do whatever you want with your product. If you've spent much time browsing UMSF however, you may have noticed the fantastic things the people here have accomplished through collaboration. Have you considered perhaps sharing a smaller dataset of lesser quality so that you are the one retaining the best part of your hard work? That's what I do with some of the photographic products I spend hours creating.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Jun 27 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #66

well, sorry if some of you guys are dissapointed, but can't promise you anything till the model is finished. I am doing it mainly for challenging my modeling and perception skills but I wouldn't mind earning some money for it maybe from a company interested in using this for commercial use :/

but, hey, hm.. maybe i could provide you guys with a less detailed model of the mer. just wait the estimated 6motnhs to have it done (modeling ONLY that is) and then we'll see smile.gif

I just rendered this test (head of mer remodeled from scratch) and thought I'd share smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 27 2007, 03:06 PM
Post #67

Founder

QUOTE (scooterlord @ Jun 27 2007, 04:01 PM) *
for commercial use

Realistically, any and all commercial requirement for such a model has been well and truely covered by Dan Maas's work for the pre-launch Animation, the two Nova documentaries (for which he was Emmy nominated) and the Imax movie.

Your model is just stunning - but I can't imagine a 'market' for it.

Doug

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Jun 27 2007, 03:09 PM
Post #68

well, thought it would be nice didn't say it would happen tongue.gif anyway, I am not negative with the whole story, we'll see. just be patient till I am done!

--------------------

+Quote Post
remcook
post Jun 27 2007, 03:48 PM
Post #69

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

How detailed is the Dan Maas model anyway?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 27 2007, 03:58 PM
Post #70

Founder

Not as good as Scooters, lots of it is done with good texturing, but it's good enough to stand up to the 4k res of Imax. The Imax version is a step up from the version in the usual EDL anim - for instance the arrays are 'glassy' only on the cells themselves, not on the whole panel.

Doug

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jun 27 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #71

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Well, Scooter's work I would put in the semi-pro/pro category, so I kinda expected he would want some money for it. Scooter, would you be willing to release your model for sale for a time period, and after that time let us pass the hat around for a UMSF license?

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Jun 28 2007, 08:02 AM
Post #72

as I said, once I am done anything is possible smile.gif it's still a long way ahead and am already lacking important pieces of reference! wait and see! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Leither
post Jul 15 2007, 06:48 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 1002

QUOTE (scooterlord @ Dec 28 2006, 12:10 AM) *
Moreover as you can see there's no dust cover in the following reference as well. in 8 out of 10 pics there's no dust cover depicted thats why I chose not to model it.

Scooterlord these images clearly show the MI transparent dust cover in action.

Closed/Open:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/na...CMP1936L0M1.JPG
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/na...CMP1936L0M1.JPG

I think your model is only missing the arm bit of the cover which connects it to the motor. Your model is ultra impressive. Great work.

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Aug 3 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #74

hey there...

I have a new render for ppl interested in the project, this was the most difficult part to do - the connectors between the top part of the mer. at first look they might all look the same, but in closer inspection they are far from being the same. anyway, here it is, hope you enjoy it, I still have a lot of things to do, but it's coming out really nicely and I have studied thoroughly the reference I have and looks like I have enough material to finish a few important stuff.

enough said, here it is:

comments welcome as always!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Aug 3 2007, 10:45 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 678

Incredible! Absolutely incredible! I'm always fascinating about the high detailled-level of your model. Very good job.

--------------------

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:41 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.