SUPRISE......New Steve Q'n'A, Recorded Nov 6th 2006
djellison
post Nov 7 2006, 11:26 AM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Everyone likes suprises right....

At very short notice ( <36hrs ) - Steve and I managed to meet up in Milton Keynes yesterday evening and do another Q'n'A - this time an hour long talking about everything that's gone on in the last 12 months or so since the first Q'n'A last September.

http://www.rlproject.com/audio/ss_qna_071106.mp3
Approx 14 Meg, 1 hour 48 seconds long.

Sorry I didn't have time to do a call for questions - but with the time between knowing it was on and doing it being so short there just wasn't the time to call for them, plough through them and then pick them...I think I got through all the good stuff though. I tried to see any left over stuff mentioned here, things that might have been asked for a Pancam update but better suited to Steve rather than Jim - and I was able to ask my admin team if they could think of any as well ( thanks guys ).

This time it was on the lounge area on a hotel landing....no ducks or wind noise - but occasional passers by heading to and from their hotel rooms - I hope the quality's good enough (I think it is)

If someone wants to put down time markers for transcription and people do the same as last time, I'd be happy to put together another PDF like last time.

Enjoy!

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
lyford
post Nov 22 2006, 02:00 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 124

Ok, last installment and it was really nice to hear the Spirit moving again bit...
I blame Thanksgiving preparations and Alton Brown's Sweet Potato Pie for my tardiness, I had a slight tuber related knife injury, which is healing nicely.

So here it is, typed with one and 4/5 hands: biggrin.gif

Section 04 :: 00:16:54 to 00:22:25 :: Spirit- no more wind gusts expected, moving again, mid term plans

DE: Nothing that a good gust of wind wouldn't fix....

SS: Yeah, if we get some. I'm not counting on any more wind gusts for Spirit. The wind gusts that we got for Spirit, the bigs ones, were all ridge crests and summits - and that rover's never going to climb another mountain. So I don't know if we are going to see that again.

DE: The whole area is something of a large bowl...

SS: Where we are right now is pretty sheltered from the wind, I believe. Though we have been seeing changes. When you look at the images we have taken of the inner basin from Spirit, we have seen places where dust devils have come through and there have clearly been changes in the dust cover, so who knows? We could get lucky.

DE: Now, this morning, I got the images down, and I shouted out loud over my cornflakes - you've moved!

SS: Yes, yeah!

DE: Not a lot...

SS: Yes.

DE: But you have moved!

SS: Sol 1010 - this was planned last week. I think in my online notes on the Athena website I said "You're gonna see Spirit move pretty soon." But boy it was good to actually see it work... You know, you park your car in the driveway for seven months and you don't move it, the first time you put the key in and you hope the engine's going to turn over! I had every reason to believe the thing was going to work. We looked very, very hard at whether or not a period of extended no motion could cause anything to seize up or not move properly and there was just no credible failure mode that we could come up with. The kinds of motors and gear boxes and so forth that we use, you should be able to let them sit for a very long time and the first time you apply power - off they go! And so we all felt very confident that when we asked Spirit to move again, she was going to move just fine. But still it was nice to see the scenery change a little bit, yeah!

DE: Just a little.

SS: It's just been a small move, and the move was very successful. We got just the motion that we had anticipated. The tilt of the rover changed a little bit, the northward tilt, something that's important to us, dropped by about a little bit less than one degree, which is not an alarming amount. The reason that we waited until now to do this move rather than doing it before conjunction say, was that we wanted to have enough margin in our power, we wanted our power numbers to be high enough, that even if we got some very unexpected result, and the tilt dropped by five degrees or something, we'll still be in good shape. So we're fine with this tilt number, and yeah, the vehicle's moving again!

DE: So what's the medium term plan? There's a little piece of rock just over...

SS: Yeah, the medium term plan is do this turn to the right, which we've now initiated, and there's two things over to the right that particularly interest us. The one is that as the rover was dragging its wheels through the soil, the front right wheel, there was bright soil that was deposited in the wheel tracks or churned up from the wheel tracks. And we're very interested in looking at that. The other thing is that there's some wonderful finely layered rock a little bit to the right of our current location, and we're very interested in having a go at that as well. That target to me looks to be pretty dusty, so I'm not sure we'll be able to do too much with it geochemically, cause it's got this very complex geometry to its surface; it would not be an easy target to brush with the RAT. But certainly we can have a go at it with the MI and we'll see what we see. After we have got the power margin high enough that we are confident to move off of Low Ridge entirely, by which I mean having a power margin wide enough on flat ground, knowing that even if we totally go down on the flats that we'll have enough power, then we are going to be heading back towards Home Plate, but hitting a few targets along the way. In particular, there are a number of these vesicular basalts, basalts, rocks that have a sort of foamy texture to them..

DE: (unintelligible)

SS: Yeah, what happens, Gong Gong was a great example of that if you remember that one, that was fantastic set of pictures that we took of that rock, but what happens is that when volcanic materials are extruded to the surface, if they have some gases dissolved in them, then when the pressure gets low, when they get very close to the surface, that gas will come out of solution and will form bubbles that make these kind of swiss cheese like cavities in the rock. There have been a number of these rocks that we have seen. There are actually some fabulous ones just up the hill from us on Low Ridge but we don't think we can get to those, but there are several that are down on the flats between us and Home Plate. And I expect to single out one of those and give it a very thorough working over before we head off to Home Plate. What you're going to see next with Spirit is going to be very different from the situation when we were going to Home Plate the first time, because when we were going to Home Plate the first time, the power was getting worse and worse and worse everyday and we were rushing through everything. Now, with the power improving gradually, every single day it's going to be getting better and better and better, and it's going to do that for months, we can take our time and really do things right, and it's going to be nice!

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- djellison   SUPRISE......New Steve Q'n'A   Nov 7 2006, 11:26 AM
- - paxdan   w00t Great stuff Doug. I'm up for a transcrip...   Nov 7 2006, 11:44 AM
|- - imipak   QUOTE (paxdan @ Nov 7 2006, 11:44 AM) I h...   Nov 9 2006, 08:37 PM
- - odave   I'll have a listen today at lunch, then post a...   Nov 7 2006, 01:24 PM
- - akuo   A very big thanks to you and Steve for doing this....   Nov 7 2006, 02:01 PM
- - Aberdeenastro   So what was SS doing in Milton Keynes? Famous ...   Nov 7 2006, 03:46 PM
- - djellison   Primary reason was giving a keynote lecture at the...   Nov 7 2006, 03:57 PM
|- - ustrax   "I don't want to go into the crater until...   Nov 7 2006, 04:17 PM
- - Jeff7   Opportunity's RAT is still working. A way out ...   Nov 7 2006, 05:34 PM
- - MarkL   Sound was excellent. Good mic-ing on SS but you...   Nov 7 2006, 05:38 PM
|- - centsworth_II   QUOTE (MarkL @ Nov 7 2006, 12:38 PM) Good...   Nov 7 2006, 05:55 PM
- - mhoward   That is a really enjoyable interview. I found myse...   Nov 7 2006, 06:02 PM
- - Toma B   Thanks Doug! This Q'n'A was the best y...   Nov 7 2006, 07:13 PM
- - djellison   GongGong http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pr...   Nov 7 2006, 09:21 PM
- - jamescanvin   Fuzzy Smith, Sol 772, Seq 2595 - http://marsrovers...   Nov 7 2006, 09:29 PM
- - climber   Thanks for your truly full involvement on what you...   Nov 7 2006, 09:30 PM
- - djellison   Bingo http://pancam.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_ins.....   Nov 7 2006, 09:30 PM
- - Nix   Fuzzy Smith...well I look forward to more data on ...   Nov 8 2006, 06:28 PM
|- - centsworth_II   QUOTE (Nix @ Nov 8 2006, 01:28 PM) Fuzzy ...   Nov 8 2006, 08:28 PM
- - odave   OK, make that lunch today - my headphones were AFU...   Nov 8 2006, 07:56 PM
|- - Marz   I'll take chunk 9, if it's still open. QU...   Nov 11 2006, 07:52 PM
|- - Marz   QUOTE (Marz @ Nov 11 2006, 01:52 PM) I...   Nov 11 2006, 09:53 PM
- - MarkL   Post a Word template for the transcript and I...   Nov 8 2006, 08:02 PM
- - odave   We didn't use a template before, we just did o...   Nov 8 2006, 08:15 PM
- - djellison   Just pure straight forward text's good for me....   Nov 8 2006, 08:29 PM
- - MarkL   Part 11 (why not start at the end) D: Now you sa...   Nov 9 2006, 12:54 AM
|- - jamescanvin   QUOTE (MarkL @ Nov 9 2006, 11:54 AM) Midn...   Nov 9 2006, 01:25 AM
- - CosmicRocker   odave: Thanks for breaking it into chunks. I...   Nov 9 2006, 03:54 AM
- - paxdan   I'll take section 7.   Nov 9 2006, 10:50 AM
- - djellison   I said James OMG.... Michael - so so sorry ...   Nov 9 2006, 11:03 AM
|- - mhoward   The only thing that ticks me off about that is tha...   Nov 9 2006, 02:40 PM
||- - jamescanvin   QUOTE (mhoward @ Nov 10 2006, 01:40 AM) T...   Nov 10 2006, 12:05 AM
|- - climber   QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 9 2006, 12:03 PM) ...   Nov 9 2006, 07:45 PM
- - odave   Section 1: ======= DE: We'll, it's been j...   Nov 9 2006, 07:02 PM
- - CosmicRocker   QUOTE (climber @ Nov 9 2006, 01:45 PM) .....   Nov 10 2006, 05:13 AM
- - lyford   I will take Section 06 :: 00:26:39 to 00:31:43 :...   Nov 10 2006, 03:38 PM
- - imipak   Here's Chunk 5. I wasn't too sure about th...   Nov 10 2006, 08:41 PM
- - imipak   I got a bit carried away... here's chunk #8. S...   Nov 11 2006, 12:01 AM
- - CosmicRocker   Chunk #8 was a good one. I almost chose it initia...   Nov 11 2006, 06:45 AM
|- - imipak   QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Nov 11 2006, 06:45 ...   Nov 11 2006, 10:14 AM
- - diane   I've got it on my iPod to listen to on my morn...   Nov 13 2006, 11:53 AM
- - djellison   If I knew how....I tried for several evenings to m...   Nov 13 2006, 04:12 PM
|- - helvick   QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 13 2006, 04:12 PM)...   Nov 13 2006, 09:18 PM
- - Myran   Thank you for your effort, it was one interesting ...   Nov 13 2006, 08:12 PM
- - lyford   Did my best, but I am afraid I couldn't make o...   Nov 14 2006, 04:45 AM
- - odave   The transcription is coming along great guys - tha...   Nov 14 2006, 01:23 PM
- - NMRguy   Well, we're almost finished, so I'll go ah...   Nov 16 2006, 10:31 AM
- - NMRguy   OK. Here's Section 2. I must admit that I ha...   Nov 16 2006, 12:21 PM
- - lyford   I'll do section 04 - Moving Again Section 04...   Nov 16 2006, 04:10 PM
- - djellison   This all makes great reading It's odd - in ...   Nov 16 2006, 04:27 PM
|- - MarkL   QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 16 2006, 04:27 PM)...   Nov 20 2006, 08:38 PM
- - paxdan   Section 7. 31.44 DE: And once you got there? SS...   Nov 19 2006, 11:25 AM
- - odave   Section 3 (minus NMRguy's overlap at the begin...   Nov 20 2006, 07:19 PM
- - CosmicRocker   I thought I should check in to see if there were a...   Nov 21 2006, 05:02 AM
|- - lyford   QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Nov 20 2006, 09:02 ...   Nov 21 2006, 06:34 AM
- - lyford   Ok, last installment and it was really nice to hea...   Nov 22 2006, 02:00 AM
- - odave   That's a wrap! Thanks for the effort guys...   Nov 22 2006, 02:27 AM
- - CosmicRocker   Hehe. I never expected to find other Alton Brown ...   Nov 22 2006, 07:19 AM
- - djellison   It'll be a while until I can get round to this...   Nov 22 2006, 07:28 AM
- - odave   To assist readers in thread jumping, here are the ...   Nov 22 2006, 01:53 PM
- - phase4   A big THANK YOU to Doug/umsf for publishing this Q...   Jan 12 2007, 03:36 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:08 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.