9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
JunoCam "Marble Movie", July 10 through October 14
Gerald
post Sep 14 2016, 04:12 AM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

Parts 8 and 9 of Marble Movie level-2-processed, stills and AVI animation, including a synopsis of the 40 first Marble Movie images after PJ1.
Youtube version covering parts 7 to 9, pre-, and post-PJ1.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 15 2016, 10:11 PM
Post #92

Re-rendered level 1 "Marble Movie" images around PJ1, as zips, and as online browsable version. Some of those images have been cropped in previous renditions.
Part 7 images have been supersampled about 4-fold, part 8 supersampled about twice.

+Quote Post
Brian Burns
post Sep 15 2016, 10:55 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 7991

QUOTE (Gerald @ Sep 13 2016, 11:12 PM) *
Parts 8 and 9 of Marble Movie level-2-processed, stills and AVI animation, including a synopsis of the 40 first Marble Movie images after PJ1.
Youtube version covering parts 7 to 9, pre-, and post-PJ1.

These are cool. smile.gif

Would it be possible to have them slow down near closest approach also, so you could see the details (as in the earlier animation you made)?

I've been using ffmpeg to assemble movies, and had to adjust the frame rate by adding duplicate frames - the number of copies of a frame is based on the size of the target times a constant, with some limit, which seemed to work fairly well. It's less realistic of course, but it lets you see the detail in the images, and speeds past the more distant images. I had to use mklink (on Windows) to make symbolic links so I didn't run out of space on my hard drive with thousands of copies...

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 15 2016, 11:34 PM
Post #94

I've already done so with a few Marble Movie images close to PJ1, also with ffmpeg (see a few posts above, post #84), and I'm currently working on the second external 2TB HD drive.
But I've not yet included Jupiter's oblateness and axis obliquity. Trajectory data are in J2000 like Earth's axis, and Earth is almost spherical, so these two effects didn't need to be considered for Earth. I'm working on both effects, first axis obliquity.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 19 2016, 12:51 PM
Post #95

The method I'm using to retrieve axis obliquity seems to return reasonable results now:
Attached File  mable_pre_pj1_c6157_c6159_51_out.avi ( 610.38K ) Number of downloads: 202

It uses pointing vectors from Jupiter to Earth and Sun in JUPITER_IAU and J2000 frames of SPICE trajectory data as obtained via spy.exe to calculate the change of base transformation, which has been missing before. I'm using two vector pairs for a fixed instant to calculate Jupiter's axis. Jupiter's assumed angular velocity is some estimate near 2pi / 9h50m expressed in units of JunoCam's interframe delay of about 0.38s.

Jupiter's yet unconsidered oblateness is likely to contribute most of the remaining inaccuracy. I'm working on fixing this.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 19 2016, 07:13 PM
Post #96

JunoCam Marble Movie, part 10, level 1 stills, and level 2 AVI.
Part 10 covers September 4 to September 10, 2016.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 20 2016, 05:38 PM
Post #97

John Rogers at the British Astronomical Association provides an enhanced and annotated version of the immediate pre- and post- PJ1 Marble Movie images.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 23 2016, 09:37 PM
Post #98

Level 1 stills of Marble Movie part 11 are available.
The sequence starting at image #7913 required some parameter adjustment, therefore I've split part 11 in two zip files with a slightly different naming convention (substrings '11', resp. '11a').

Rendering of level 2 images for AVI update is running.
I'll add the video update to the same URL later today, I'd think less than an hour from now, and edit this post accordingly.

Edit: The AVIs are uploaded. Part 11 is split into two fragments, and I've provided the full sequence from parts 1 to part 11.
Part 11 covers September 11 to 17, 2016.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 26 2016, 02:18 PM
Post #99

For a seamless animation of rendered JunoCam images near PJs, to be able to look for, or to measure changes, or to create good map products, I'll need to model Jupiter as a spheroid. Thus far I've implemented only a sphere.
One of the core capabilities is intersecting a line with the target object. Until recently, I didn't find the time to write up these geometric basics as a pdf document. But now, as things are going to get more complex, it became necessary to do so.
Attached File  junocam08_basic_geometry_I.pdf ( 565.69K ) Number of downloads: 737

I'm now going to implement the spheroid part.

+Quote Post
FOV
post Sep 26 2016, 08:56 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 5800

I just watched the marble movie with headline banner "Citizen Science: Juno Fan Creates Movie of Spacecraft's Approach to Jupiter" on the NASA web site home page. I really enjoyed it. Great stuff.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 27 2016, 07:55 PM
Post #101

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (Gerald @ Sep 23 2016, 01:37 PM) *

These are, belatedly, posted on my marble movie page.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 27 2016, 09:47 PM
Post #102

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Gerald @ Sep 26 2016, 06:18 AM) *
I'm now going to implement the spheroid part.

See SPICE toolkit function surfpt for the triaxial ellipsoid implementation.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 28 2016, 04:55 PM
Post #103

Thanks! I thought, I've seen it somewhere in SPICE.
But I'm expecting the need to extend it to a model of a dynamical cloud top (and possibly some rudimentary extension towards polytropes) to improve the predictive capabilities, and I might require the derivatives for approximation methods.
So I think, I'd better understand the inside of the black box.

+Quote Post
xflare
post Sep 30 2016, 09:44 AM
Post #104

Member No.: 84

I haven't been able to find the Dates and Times of the upcoming Perijove close approaches, does anyone have them?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 30 2016, 12:09 PM
Post #105

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Not times, but dates:

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakda...om-junocam.html

(just go to the Planetary Society website and enter 'juno' in the search box)

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:40 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.