Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 31 2010, 01:00 AM
Post #107

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Hmm. You know, final targeting doesn't really have to happen very long before launch (maybe even for a substantial period afterward?), so I don't see any urgency about selecting a site right now.

Heck, who knows; with MSL's precision landing capability, MRO might spot a really choice location that blows the others away literally any time between now & then.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 31 2010, 02:29 AM
Post #108

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Although the final choice doesn't need to be made before launch, if MER is any guide, then a latitude band will need to be chosen at launch, so a downselection will need to be made.

Anyway, the upcoming meeting is one for the Mars science community to make input. There'll be a straw poll held at the end of it I'm sure. But the final decision won't even be made by the mission. It'll be made by HQ, based on presentations on both engineering and science constraints made by the mission.

Nick, I doubt they'll be looking at any new sites. They have brought so many assets to bear on the current list of options, from HiRISE to CRISM to CTX stereo to THEMIS to god knows how many atmospheric models, that it's probably too late in the game for something new to come to the fore. Which isn't to say that there aren't any scientists who won't TRY to make a new suggestion. That'll be sort of fun to watch, but mostly just a waste of everyone's time.

I'll be going to at least some of this meeting, yay.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 31 2010, 02:33 AM
Post #109

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Looking forward to your dispatch from the front, Emily! smile.gif I imagine that these can be quite contentious.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Aug 31 2010, 05:56 AM
Post #110

Group: Members
Member No.: 1700

Think of Emily doing a live play-by-play ustream of the event, a la Monty Python's World Cup match between the Philosophers laugh.gif

+Quote Post
monty python
post Sep 1 2010, 06:08 AM
Post #111

Member No.: 692

For some reason the Python link didn't work for me so I did a

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...+monty+python=1

and chose the second option.

I hope it works or I shall taunt you a second time you son of a window dresser!

+Quote Post
Eluchil
post Sep 29 2010, 03:19 AM
Post #112

Member No.: 972

The 4th MSL landing site workshop is ongoing and Emily has a thorough and insightful write-up on her blog at http://planetary.org/blog/article/00002685/

Eluchil

+Quote Post
tharrison
post Sep 29 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #113

Member No.: 5163

QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 30 2010, 06:00 PM) *
Hmm. You know, final targeting doesn't really have to happen very long before launch (maybe even for a substantial period afterward?), so I don't see any urgency about selecting a site right now.

Most of the urgency comes from a need to focus the efforts of the scientific community. Right now there's so much that still needs to be done pertaining to all four landing sites. If the list were shortened to two sites, it would bring more focus to those two and hopefully encourage more people to work on them and tackle the outstanding questions. For example, most of what's been done at Mawrth has focused on the mineralogy of the area, leaving the geology and geomorphology side of things a bit neglected (and it's a complicated place!).

--------------------
Twitter: @tanyaofmars
Web: http://www.tanyaofmars.com

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Sep 29 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #114

Member No.: 156

And for those of us who can't get enough MSL landing site workshop news, Ryan Anderson's also blogging it at The Martian Chronicles.

+Quote Post
RonJones
post Jan 28 2011, 03:24 AM
Post #115

Member No.: 390

Are additional MSL landing site workshops (i.e, 5th, 6th) already scheduled for 2011?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 28 2011, 05:40 AM
Post #116

Administrator

Member No.: 454

The next (and final) one is in mid-May.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
RonJones
post Jan 29 2011, 05:51 PM
Post #117

Member No.: 390

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 28 2011, 12:40 AM) *
The next (and final) one is in mid-May.

Emily - Thanks for the update. Do you think the location of the methane "hot spots" or any other recent science findings will play a strong role in the final site selection, or will the safety of MSL be the overriding factor in picking among the remaining candidates?

By the way, why no daughter + daughter photo, or do you think the forum members would just go cross-eyed trying to view it as a stereoscopic pic?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 29 2011, 10:07 PM
Post #118

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Methane won't figure into it. The selection is mostly based on looking at ancient clays and other water-altered or -deposited materials, plus (of course) site safety and accessibility of the outcrops. The new landing site workshop will be about identifying specific outcrops for study at each site, traverses which give access to them, and maybe potential for extended missions. Methane needs to be much better characterized by future orbiters before it can be a factor in site selection. It might just possibly affect selection for the 2018 rovers.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tharrison
post Feb 3 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #119

Member No.: 5163

QUOTE (RonJones @ Jan 29 2011, 09:51 AM) *
Do you think the location of the methane "hot spots" or any other recent science findings will play a strong role in the final site selection, or will the safety of MSL be the overriding factor in picking among the remaining candidates?

The methane story (which may not even be real rolleyes.gif ) has nothing to do with any of the 4 candidate landing sites, and they aren't going to add any more to the list at this point.

With the extreme cost of the rover, I have a feeling that we'll end up going to a "safe" site rather than which of the 4 may be the most scientifically interesting/important site. Many folks are convinced we're going to Mawrth for this very reason (Mawrth also seems to have the most vocal advocates).

--------------------
Twitter: @tanyaofmars
Web: http://www.tanyaofmars.com

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Feb 3 2011, 02:47 PM
Post #120

Member No.: 5458

Just curious, which landing site do you see as the most scientificly rich?

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:10 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.