Reply to this topicStart new topic
MEX VMC - Back on, and online!
djellison
post Nov 30 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #181

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Handel wrote the Hallelujah Chorus for this exact moment.

smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 30 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #182

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

LOVE the movies. blink.gif

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 1 2009, 04:56 AM
Post #183

Member No.: 1345

I made an LRGB image to try to enhance contrast in the Valles Marineris image.

To make the luminance layer, I used the "Emily" channel mix and looked at a bright region and a dark region to try to find the optimum combination for the black and white conversion. A bright region "box" was defined around Candor Mensa and the median and standard deviations of the pixel values selected. A dark region box was also selected, as well as a good variance box.

Attached Image

Examining the pixel values, the standard deviation inside the bright or dark boxes is about the same in all the channels (good!)
The standard deviation is the highest in the Variation box in the red channel.

The red channel has also the largest difference between bright and dark pixel values, followed by the green channel.

From all this, it looks like the most information is in the red channel, followed closely by the green, and the blue channel is kinda worthless in the chasms.

So the black and white conversion weighs heavily on the yellow and green, followed by the red. (Ideally, more red should be used, but fiddling revealed that the center regions would blow out quickly).

So the Black and white conversion layer settings to create the luminance layer are:
Red +60%
Yellow +70%
Green +70%
Cyan +20%
Blue +50%
Magenta +50% [not much in the image at all]

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 1 2009, 05:06 AM
Post #184

Here is the RGB image compared with the HiPass Superresolution LRGB image in the area near Candor Mensa.
(HiPass 30 pixel, color layer gaussian blurred 5 pixels)

Attached Image

The color is less "speckly" in the LRGB image, probably due to the Gaussian blur of the color image.

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 2 2009, 02:01 AM
Post #185

Using the filenames, it seems images less than 116 seconds apart can be reasonably overlaid.

Attached Image

For images greater than 232 seconds, the spacecraft motion (at this altitude) causes enough of a perspective change that manual warping is necessary to overlay similar images. For example, images No.2 and No.6 were significantly different.

Here's an attempt at a super-resolution combination using only Image No. 2 and a manually warped Image No. 6:
Attached Image

The subtle differences even due to my limited warping capability are enough to make the lower dark patch blurry.

Bottom line: group files that are within a max range of 120 seconds.

[On a really close pass, it might be interesting to have a rapid fire cycle of 3 or 4 exposures of the same duration, then a second set of 3 or 4 at a different exposures of longer/shorter duration. Then a super-resolution image might could get made.]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 2 2009, 05:45 AM
Post #186

Final mosaic of Valles Marineris prepared from MEX VMC images:

Attached Image

Much higher resolution (2 km/pixel) TIFF image here [5.5 Mb at highest resolution]: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/4152369836/

-Mike

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Dec 2 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #187

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Nice work! All this is making me miss the days when I had time to process images smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 3 2009, 12:19 AM
Post #188

Here's a blink comparison between a Viking 1&2 mosaic (PIA00422) and the MEX-VMC HDR Super-res HiPassLRGB composite. Features as small as 20 km can be discerned in the MEX-VMC composite.

Attached Image

(Animated GIF - click to animate)

Static view:
Attached Image

-Mike

[EDIT: Added an annotated version of MEX VMC composite with 26 features added as notes on flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/4153691165/]

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 3 2009, 02:46 AM
Post #189

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (helvick @ Nov 30 2009, 03:01 PM) *
CODE
for %f in (c:\temp\*.raw) do vmc2rgb.exe %f

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 30 2009, 03:04 PM) *
Handel wrote the Hallelujah Chorus for this exact moment.
My lateness to this particular party does not make my agreement with this statement any less hearty.

Though I think right now it's that massive C major chord from Handel's "Creation" blasting in my head!! and there was....LIGHT!!!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 8 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #190

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

And...there....were..... FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILES!

(I always resented the bass-part going down on that cadence rather than up)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 8 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #191

Administrator

I've gone silent on this topic because I'm in the middle of a big project with it -- I methodically downloaded all the RAWs, then used Helvick's trick and Gordan's executable to convert them all and now I'm inspecting every set and taking notes on which ones are worth processing. I'm about halfway through that process. Ask me very nicely once I'm done and I may zip up the "worth processing" ones into a single downloadable file smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ormstont
post Dec 15 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #192

Group: Members
Member No.: 4320

Hi all!

Still very much looking forward to seeing the results of the processing efforts going on but just wanted to give you a heads up on some images dumped this morning. We got an opportunity to do a low-altitude limb pass so caught quite a few shots of the planet limb and there appear to be some very interesting clouds on these images. You can take a look here:

http://webservices.esa.int/blog/post/6/932

Enjoy!

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Dec 15 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #193

Group: Members
Member No.: 4057

Nice!
Three sets in one day (14.12.2009), I think, this is new record!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Dec 16 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #194

Member No.: 98

Looks like Emily finished her project. Awesome poster!

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 16 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #195

Administrator

Thanks! For some reason I didn't notice until just now that I'd managed to post a version with the space not yet adjusted to be black. I've fixed the version posted in the blog, am working on the Cafepress version now.

--------------------

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:33 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.