Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn Mission, pre-launch disscusion
centsworth_II
post Jul 10 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 132

QUOTE (gpurcell @ Jul 10 2007, 10:01 AM) *
How does this slip change the mission profile...

According to Emily's article, all the mission objectives will be met and
"...the Earth-to-Vesta cruise duration is shortened by two months with
the two-month delay to a September launch, resulting in an arrival date
at Vesta that is the same -- October 2011 -- regardless of whether Dawn
launches in July or September."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gpurcell
post Jul 10 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #302

Member No.: 127

Thanks, missed that when I was reading the article.

+Quote Post
Jason W Barnes
post Jul 15 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #303

Member No.: 1086

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jul 10 2007, 07:39 AM) *
According to Emily's article, all the mission objectives will be met and
"...the Earth-to-Vesta cruise duration is shortened by two months with
the two-month delay to a September launch, resulting in an arrival date
at Vesta that is the same -- October 2011 -- regardless of whether Dawn
launches in July or September."

Great -- but how? What precisely is the mission design / trajectory change that allows this to happen? Will there still be a Mars flyby/gravity assist? Will they burn more fuel? Less? Will it hamper extended mission capabilities? Why isn't this information available somewhere -- I've looked and can find nothing.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 15 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #304

Member No.: 523

I think I read somewhere that the actual ion thrust period starts some 60-80 days after launch so there's plenty of margin there. Part of the additional margin might be supplied by the Delta II launch vehicle, too. Ion engines are weak but they sure provide greater flexibility than chemical ones.

--------------------

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jul 16 2007, 06:08 AM
Post #305

Member No.: 174

ONCE they have had operational experience in space, they will know the REAL flight power output levels of the solar panels and the REAL specific inpulse <pounds (force) of thrust for so many seconds per pound (mass) of propellant> of the ion rockets.

You HAVE to be able to fly the mission with an unfavorible launch during the worst part of the launch window, large launch errors, poor solar panel performance, and poor ion drive performance.

If everything is nominal, you are going to have flight reserve capability. or be able to handle 'Uh-oh"'s that develop during the mission.

If things work generally better than nominal, ooooh!

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 16 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #306

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

The fact that those solar panels and ion engines need to be tested out in flight to determine their actual performace margins is the reason that the timelines, post-launch, are somewhat vague. The basic plan will be the same -- Mars flyby followed by Vesta and then Ceres -- regardless of the launch date, but I've been told that the Vesta arrival date, for instance, can change by as much as a couple of months from the nominal one if the engines perform significantly better than their design requirements. They'll just have to wait and see how fast a ship they've got once it's set sail! This is also the reason they're being cagy about whether they'll be able to do any other asteroid flybys, however distant. Until they know how well their engines are performing, it's kind of hard to figure out which asteroids will get close enough to the trajectory, and when, for them to be observed.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 17 2007, 02:42 AM
Post #307

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

OT here, but I find it intriguing that the engines provide so much flexibility in terms of arrival times despite their incredibly small delta-v in comparison to chemical propellants. It seems that even minor improvements in this technology will reap serious benefits for UMSF.

Pity that Xe has the highest atomic weight of the stable noble gases. I know I'd be shot for asking this in some circles, but wouldn't it be nice to use radon with its big, fat average atomic weight of 86 vs. Xe's 54...? (That stuff has to be good for something, after all... rolleyes.gif )

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
kwp
post Jul 17 2007, 04:55 AM
Post #308

Member No.: 422

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 16 2007, 07:42 PM) *
wouldn't it be nice to use radon with its big, fat average atomic weight of 86 vs. Xe's 54...?

True. Pity, though, about that 3 day half-life...

Mercury (the element, not the planet) is nicely volatile, relatively easy to ionize and weights in
at a nice, fat 200 atomic mass units. Unfortunately, though, it's tendency to contaminate surfaces has
precluded its use in ion thrusters.

-Kevin

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jul 17 2007, 05:10 AM
Post #309

" incredibly small delta-v in comparison to chemical "

Ion rockets have enormously large delta-v capability because of their high specific impulse <bounce per ounce>. The killer is that they have horrendously low thrust... the force is small, but they difference is they keep going.. and going.. and going..........................

I wonder about the use <and cost per pound> of Krypton or even Argon. You get less bounce per ounce, but JIMO, for example, somebody said, was going to use more or less the entire world's supply of xenon. If simply lobbing something on an escape trajectory cost less, it might be cost effective to use more of a lower atomic weight ion. What are current tradeoffs on different gasses for ion rockets?

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jul 17 2007, 12:20 PM
Post #310

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (edstrick @ Jul 17 2007, 12:10 AM) *
You get less bounce per ounce, but JIMO, for example, somebody said, was going to use more or less the entire world's supply of xenon.

I think later on we found some more information that showed the magnitude was off by a factor of 10^4 or so. So there's plenty of Xenon gas for space exploration (at least for now).

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
The Messenger
post Jul 17 2007, 06:12 PM
Post #311

Member No.: 460

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 16 2007, 08:42 PM) *
Pity that Xe has the highest atomic weight of the stable noble gases. I know I'd be shot for asking this in some circles, but wouldn't it be nice to use radon with its big, fat average atomic weight of 86 vs. Xe's 54...? (That stuff has to be good for something, after all... rolleyes.gif )

I have been told hydrogen would actually be the most efficient ion fuel - If it could be stored more efficiently at high density. I think it has to do with the efficiency of acceleration mechanism - the amps per unit of thrust ratio. I'll try to find out more...

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 17 2007, 08:26 PM
Post #312

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (The Messenger @ Jul 17 2007, 07:12 PM) *
I have been told hydrogen would actually be the most efficient ion fuel
The way the rocket equation works, the most important thing in being efficient is the speed of the exhaust, not mass expelled per second. Just as chemical rockets try to achieve high temperatures and low molecular weight of their exhaust, the same would probably apply to ion engines. The trouble here would be as you say in the acceleration mechanism. Practical difficulties using a low molecular mass gas likely greatly offset the theoretical advantages it would have.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 18 2007, 12:28 AM
Post #313

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Hmm. Thanks for the enlightenment & corrections, all.

So, then, the ideal fuel would be an intermediate weight element that is particularly amenible to electromagnetic acceleration & magnetic vector control? Would something like Fe ions be the best (disregarding the horrendous difficulties of vaporizing the stuff)?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jul 18 2007, 04:02 AM
Post #314

Member No.: 590

All other things being equal, the specific impulse of an ion drive using Xenon is about 11.5 times worse than one using hydrogen, BUT the thrust is 11.5 times better. Since even with Xenon (worse Isp), such a thruster has 10x the Isp of a conventional rocket BUT even with Xenon (better thrust) the thrust is so low as to barely be usable, it seems clear why it's currently the fuel of choice for ion drives.

To work this out, note that for a given energy (and assuming just one charge on the ion), thrust varies with the square-root of the mass of the ion, while specific impulse varies inversely with the thrust. Xenon has an atomic mass of 132 (not 54 -- that's the atomic number), and sqrt(132) = 11.5.

Since the mass ratio varies EXPONENTIALLY with the specific impulse, and exp(11.5) = 100,000, this does say that we could do fantastic things if we could just get enough energy to make a hydrogen ion engine practical. (And solve some other technical problems, of course.) :-)

--Greg

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jul 18 2007, 06:20 AM
Post #315

"...I think later on we found some more information that showed the magnitude was off by a factor of 10^4 or so..."

What's 4 decimal places between friends...?

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:07 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.