Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Aug 21 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1638

Here's a news snippet I wasn't aware of:

In a little-known footnote to space history, Voyager 1's Titan booster shut down prematurely after liftoff. The powerful Centaur upper stage was barely able to compensate, reaching escape velocity 3.4 seconds before running out of fuel. Luckily, Voyager 1 would still reach Jupiter and Saturn as planned.

However, had the underachieving Titan been used instead for Voyager 2, whose trajectory hinged on getting maximum performance from its booster, its eventual encounters with Uranus (in 1986) and Neptune (in 1989) would have been lost. By pure chance, Voyager 2 got the better rocket.

Seems like the Uranus and Neptune encounters hung by a thread in more ways than one...

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 21 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 523

Is there a reference for the booster underperformance? Didn't Voyager 1 actually put a higher demand on the launch vehicle as it was launched on a faster trajectory?
This quote also seems inaccurate to me:

Voyager 1's launch took place 16 days later, on September 5th, when the planetary alignment was better for reaching Jupiter and Saturn — but by which time the Uranus-Neptune trajectory "window" had closed.
Is it not the case of Vgr 1 not being able to reach Uranus and Neptune solely because the Titan flyby would severely bend the trajectory out of the ecliptic, making any further planetary encounters impossible? In case of Voyager 1's failure, 2 would have been retargetted to Titan and would also have lost Uranus and Neptune.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jmjawors
post Aug 22 2007, 02:46 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1376

Well, I don't know about any of these things, but since this is a birthday thread I'll give my thoughts along those lines.

Voyager occupies a really special place with me. I can remember back to what passed as NASA - TV back then, I think it was V2's flyby of Saturn. I had just become old enough to know what the Voyagers were and what they were doing and I sat for days in front of the TV... watching the images come in just as the mission scientists did back at JPL. It launched a deep interest in astronomy (and later spaceflight itself) that's lasted and defined me ever since.

Thank you Voyager.... here's to 30 MORE years!

*raises glass*

--------------------
- Matt

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Aug 22 2007, 07:58 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 21 2007, 05:03 PM) *
Is there a reference for the booster underperformance? Didn't Voyager 1 actually put a higher demand on the launch vehicle as it was launched on a faster trajectory?

A reference for this is Bruce Murray's "Journey into Space", page 147-148

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 30 2007, 01:04 AM
Post #6

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 21 2007, 03:03 PM) *
Is it not the case of Vgr 1 not being able to reach Uranus and Neptune solely because the Titan flyby would severely bend the trajectory out of the ecliptic, making any further planetary encounters impossible? In case of Voyager 1's failure, 2 would have been retargetted to Titan and would also have lost Uranus and Neptune.

Yes. Also, there were some funding battles (Voyager 2 nearly got turned off before Uranus).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Aug 30 2007, 01:12 AM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 21 2007, 05:03 AM) *
Is there a reference for the booster underperformance?

I believe it's also mentioned in Voyager Tales by David W. Swift. I mentioned this book and another interesting Voyager tidbit in this post.

+Quote Post
climber
post Aug 30 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 682

It can't be 30 years! My tee-shirt still shows 12 years.
I've got to ask TPS for replacement with an updated one.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 30 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #9

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Aug 29 2007, 06:04 PM) *
Yes. Also, there were some funding battles (Voyager 2 nearly got turned off before Uranus).

One of the most egregiously stupid examples of 'penny-wise, pound foolish' in history...thank God reason prevailed. mad.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Aug 31 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #10

Guests

Superb T-shirt... a real classic wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_John Flushing_*
post Sep 1 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (tedstryk @ August 29th, 2007, 09:04 PM) *

As many people may remember, there was also another shutdown proposal which came in 2005, before Voyager 1 passed the 100 Astronomical Unit mark in 2006.

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Sep 1 2007, 01:08 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 424

While I don't claim any expertise in the politics of NASA's relationship with Congress, it's hard to believe that the proposal to shut down the Voyager program in 2005 was anything but an attention-getting gesture. For one thing, assuming that NASA actually had made an irrevocable commitment to shut off all government money from the program, private funding could probably been raised in several hours.

TTT

+Quote Post
Guest_John Flushing_*
post Sep 1 2007, 12:13 PM
Post #13

Guests

In my opinion, Voyager is of the most successful missions mankind has ever launched, no question.

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Sep 1 2007, 12:40 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1638

QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Sep 1 2007, 02:08 AM) *
While I don't claim any expertise in the politics of NASA's relationship with Congress, it's hard to believe that the proposal to shut down the Voyager program in 2005 was anything but an attention-getting gesture.

The person who made the decision at NASA HQ never owned-up to it, so the true motivation was never revealed. It was a pretty slimy act to quietly remove funding from the forthcoming year's budget and not have the decency to tell the project that they were about to be canned.

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Sep 1 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 530

These sort of games are not unique to NASA. In fact, they remind me of school budgets. Well, you all voted down the budget... the first thing we cancel is high school sports and all elementary school field trips. Oh look at that, the re-vote passed.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:09 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.