Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hayabusa Post-Landing & Science Results
nprev
post Jan 25 2011, 01:41 AM
Post #241

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Thank you yet again for your terrific reporting & efforts, Pandaneko! smile.gif We wouldn't know ANYTHING about what was going on without you.

Sounds like a very rigorous analytical campaign is beginning. We should know positively whether at least some of the grains are from Itokawa in relatively short order, I'd imagine.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Feb 6 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #242

Group: Members
Member No.: 5323

What follows is the news provided by one female PhD student of the Tohoku University team who just finished analysis at the Photon Factory of KEK near Tokyo. My translation is;

4 Feb 2011

Analysis completed! Outstanding result!

Our beam time at the Factory came to an end in the morning of 4 February. Our one week at the Factory has been 24 hours a day operation. How actually experiments were conducted will be provided little by little from now on. Today, we packed everything and left the Factory to get back to our university in the far north.

Prof Tomoki Nakamura said, with a smile, that experiments went very well and that fantastic data were obtained. The findings will be made public at the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference (LPSC2011) in US starting on 7 March.

Here in Japan, it will be given at the PF Sympo starting on 14 March.

End of translation

P

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Feb 6 2011, 01:07 PM
Post #243

Oh, I forgot to mention that Dr Michael E Zolensky from NASA Johnson Space Centre was there all the time involved in the Phton Factory analysis along with the Tohoku University team members.

My apologies, due to the fact that his name did not appear in the main text, which I simply copied and pasted, but he was firmly a member of the team from supplemental information.

P

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Feb 6 2011, 01:25 PM
Post #244

Member No.: 1004

note that there are a few pictures of Hayabusa samples, plus an article and a scheme of how the two sample chambers work in issue 358 of ISAS News.
The issue also contains an article on IKAROS

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Feb 6 2011, 02:53 PM
Post #245

Paolo

I think I will also translate the ISAS pages, because it seems simpler to do as the whole thing is all text, it seems, and I can CPO on these.

However, I will not translate all of the text, it is just too much...

I will do that after translating the science pages of JAXA report on IKAROS.

As far as I am concerend simple and primitive text pages are nothing in terms of translation. I can do a few pages in 10 minutes, I think, but if files contain structures like tables and graphs, then I will have to handwrite my translation on pieces of paper and type them out again into the forum space, which takes up a lot of time.

However, I remain optimistic about ISAS pages. How you get this sort of information...I am amazed.

P

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Feb 6 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #246

pandaneko
I am just keeping track of all JAXA-related posts on the social networks (twitter "in primis") and on several forums.
anyway, I thank you a lot for the translations, but don't feel obliged to translate everything I post.
I believe that there are some documents that probably contain no additional informations to those already available. I really don't think it's worth the trouble translating, in these case

+Quote Post
PaulM
post Feb 25 2011, 08:41 PM
Post #247

Member No.: 3233

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere? According to this link, the upcoming Lunar And Planetary Conference from the 7th to 11th of March will include "early science results from a Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency mission, called Hayabusa, that returned the first particle samples from an asteroid":

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2011/feb/H...Lunar_Conf.html

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Mar 10 2011, 08:48 PM
Post #248

Member No.: 1083

Today was the Hayabusa team's day to shine as they presented their first science results. They recovered >1500 particles, most around 10 microns in diameter, but some as large as 180 microns.

The way they recovered most of the particles was hilarious. After trying subtler methods like the teflon spatula, they put a piece of quartz glass over the sample container, turned it upside down and BANGED ON IT with a screwdriver! laugh.gif biggrin.gif This actually caused the largest dust grains to be recovered!

I propose we call this "Hy-abusing" your samples cool.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 12 2011, 07:42 PM
Post #249

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Nice blog summary of early analysis of Itokawa grains presented at LPSC.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Aug 25 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #250

The latest issue of Science has lots of papers on the analysis of Hayabusa samples (requires access)

and notice the cover
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Aug 25 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #251

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (Paolo @ Aug 25 2011, 01:58 PM) *
The latest issue of Science has lots of papers on the analysis of Hayabusa samples (requires access)

Interesting conclusion in this abstract:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/333/6046/1128.abstract
Noble gas isotopes were measured in three rocky grains from asteroid Itokawa to elucidate a history of irradiation from cosmic rays and solar wind on its surface. Large amounts of solar helium (He), neon (Ne), and argon (Ar) trapped in various depths in the grains were observed, which can be explained by multiple implantations of solar wind particles into the grains, combined with preferential He loss caused by frictional wear of space-weathered rims on the grains. Short residence time of less than 8 million years was implied for the grains by an estimate on cosmic-ray–produced 21Ne. Our results suggest that Itokawa is continuously losing its surface materials into space at a rate of tens of centimeters per million years. The lifetime of Itokawa should be much shorter than the age of our solar system.

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Aug 25 2011, 08:50 PM
Post #252

Member No.: 557

Wow! Does the paper speculate as to what the erosional mechanism(s) is(are)? Likely micrometeoroid would be in the mix. Presumably not solar wind, at least very much.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Aug 26 2011, 12:20 AM
Post #253

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

I'm delighted to see that "It is quick the ぶ" really has delivered and is getting recognised for it. Congratulations (again) to the team.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Aug 26 2011, 07:49 PM
Post #254

QUOTE (Holder of the Two Leashes @ Aug 25 2011, 10:50 PM) *
Wow! Does the paper speculate as to what the erosional mechanism(s) is(are)?

just finished reading the paper. no explanation of the mechanism is given, but the weak gravity could easily help. the erosion is also given as an explanation for the relative lack of regolith on Itokawa. only 20 p.c. of its surface is covered with regolith

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Aug 27 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #255

the supporting material for one of the papers discusses the gas that was reportedly detected when the sample container was opened in near vacuum (0.01 Pa). It seems to have been a small amount of terrestrial air that had leaked through two O-rings in the preceding days

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:02 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.