6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
BepiColombo Launch & Cruise Phase
palebutdot
post Apr 18 2020, 08:05 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 8644

Here's another view of Earth and Moon from BepiColombo earlier during the mission (cam_raw_sc_cam3_image_20200304t233732_13_f__t0080 to cam_raw_sc_cam3_image_20200305t233453_28_f__t0100)

https://archives.esac.esa.int/psa/
Attached File(s)
Attached File  BCEM.mp4 ( 36.02K ) Number of downloads: 2116

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Oct 15 2020, 03:41 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 624

BepiColombo flew by Venus today and snapped this black and white shot with its instrumentation in the foreground.

https://sci.esa.int/web/bepicolombo/-/bepic...-close-approach

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Oct 15 2020, 07:11 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 7860

And flyby video , (and here )

Can anyone help me understand what this movement is (in the visible part of the probe - the Mercury Planetary Orbiter’s magnetometer boom)? Photo artifact? A play of light?

below gif's - fragments cut from the "video":
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Oct 15 2020, 11:56 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 321

My hypothesis would be that a small part of the spacecraft is blacked out in the darkness of shadow cast by another part of the spacecraft in some frames, and seems to "appear" when it is not in shadow.

+Quote Post
rhr
post Oct 16 2020, 03:25 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 4166

Or maybe a specular reflection of venus from a flat, shiny surface that's normally reflecting black? I don't really see any shadows moving near that part.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Oct 19 2020, 08:49 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 196

Similar to the Earth flyby sequence you can see a very thin line light up that part part of the magnetometer boom when lighting is right.
Can be seen much better in this model through camera #2.

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Oct 20 2020, 06:38 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 7860

Thanks for the suggestions and insights!

Here I found photos of the magnetometer boom (in the laboratory) with the sensor in question (there are actually two such sensors) - unfortunately without the Thermal Shielding.
This rectangular (in the shape of a cube or cuboid) Thermal Shielding is visible in these drawings and probably in this photo. I'm not sure, but maybe it is made of some translucent material (?)

Anyway, since no shadows are actually moving in the Venus flyby video, it seems likely to me that the two flashes seen in the video were caused by the reflection of the Venus disc from two consecutive parallel faces of this Thermal Shielding...

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 13 2021, 04:17 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 5221

A nice summary of Venus flyby 2's early results (along with near-simultaneous Solar Orbiter data)

https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Spa...f_a_Venus_flyby

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Sep 28 2021, 10:55 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 4270

Just dropping by to give this thread a little nudge ahead of the upcoming first flyby of Mercury this week on 23:34 UTC, 1 October (01:34 CEST, 2 October). Perhaps I'm not the only one for whom this flyby has kinda crept up on under the radar.

Mercury ahead!
https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Spa...ercury_ahead%21

During the flybys it is not possible to take high-resolution imagery with the main science camera because it is shielded by the transfer module while the spacecraft is in cruise configuration. However, two of BepiColombo’s three monitoring cameras (MCAMs) will be taking photos from about five minutes after the time of close approach and up to four hours later. Because BepiColombo is arriving on the planet’s nightside, conditions are not ideal to take images directly at the closest approach, thus the closest image will be captured from a distance of about 1000 km.
The first image to be downlinked will be from about 30 minutes after closest approach, and is expected to be available for public release at around 08:00 CEST on Saturday morning. The close approach and subsequent images will be downlinked one by one during Saturday morning.
Even though BepiColombo is in ‘stacked’ cruise configuration for the flybys, it will be possible to operate some of the science instruments on both planetary orbiters, allowing a first taste of the planet’s magnetic, plasma and particle environment.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Sep 29 2021, 10:59 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 9009

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Sep 28 2021, 11:55 AM) *
Just dropping by to give this thread a little nudge ahead of the upcoming first flyby of Mercury this week on 23:34 UTC, 1 October (01:34 CEST, 2 October). Perhaps I'm not the only one for whom this flyby has kinda crept up on under the radar.

Mercury ahead!
https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Spa...ercury_ahead%21

yeah... i didn't know about it today, until Antdoghalo said something on one of my servers on discord about it
it certainly did creep up under the radar for me too

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Sep 30 2021, 03:53 PM
Post #41

We have over four years to get ready for BC's actual science operations; this is a useful reminder of what it is that we have to look forward to.

https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2006epsc.......81L/abstract

At global resolution, Messenger has given us a complete map of Mercury that leaves little to improve upon. However, BepiColombo will nonetheless perform a great deal of original science.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Oct 2 2021, 10:02 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 4270

Hello Mercury
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Oct 2 2021, 01:36 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 9009

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Oct 2 2021, 10:02 AM) *

why is only a chunk of mercury seen in each frame and not the whole planet?

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Oct 2 2021, 04:48 PM
Post #44

The answer to that is in post #39.

+Quote Post
titanicrivers
post Oct 2 2021, 05:22 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 4081

The complete article from today referenced earlier by Hungry4info can be found here https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Spa...iews_of_Mercury

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:37 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.