Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voyager and Saturn satellites
Liss
post Jul 23 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 439

It is known that Pioneer 11 imaged 1979 S1 and barely impacted 1979 S2, both being the same oblect identified with 1980 S3 and now known as Epimetheus.
Then in October 1980 Collins and Carlson found 1980 S26 and 1980 S27 in the movie of Saturn rings made by Voyager 1 -- these are Pandora and Prometheus -- and in November Terrile found 1980 S28, now known as Atlas.
Voyager 2 would not found a new satellite of Saturn immediately in flyby. But on 01 Feb 1982 JPL announced ( http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/80s/release_1982_0985.html ) the discovery by Synnott of four and maybe even six new satellites apart from 17 known by then. But having read the release, I understood that none of the six was confirmed, maybe with the exception of one:

Another satellite was found by Synnott at point about 60 degrees ahead of the satellite Dione. That is the second found in that region. The first was discovered in Earth-based observations in 1980.

Of course one should substitute behind for ahead as it was Dione-B aka Helene, the leading Trojan satellite in the Dione orbit, that was discovered in 1980. But the question remains if Synnott indeed found in 1982 the trailing Trojan od Dione, re-discovered by the Cassini team in 2004 and now known as Polydeuces.

I still wonder what a treasure would be a full set of NASA releases since 1958 online. Unfortunately I know only of JSC releases before 1988 put online and of limited number from NASA HQ and JPL.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liss
post Jul 23 2009, 08:07 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (Liss @ Jul 23 2009, 11:15 PM) *
Of course one should substitute behind for ahead as it was Dione-B aka Helene, the leading Trojan satellite in the Dione orbit, that was discovered in 1980. But the question remains if Synnott indeed found in 1982 the trailing Trojan od Dione, re-discovered by the Cassini team in 2004 and now known as Polydeuces.

Well, I now understand that the 1981 S8 satellite described by Synnott in IAUC 3656 was indeed in the vicinity of Helene. So none of the six were confirmed.
Yet Showalter found Pan in 1990 and Synnott found Pallene in 1995 in the archive Voyager data.

+Quote Post
gwiz
post Jul 24 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4697

QUOTE (Liss @ Jul 23 2009, 08:15 PM) *
I still wonder what a treasure would be a full set of NASA releases since 1958 online. Unfortunately I know only of JSC releases before 1988 put online and of limited number from NASA HQ and JPL.

There's at least a partial collection here:
https://mira.hq.nasa.gov/history/

+Quote Post
Liss
post Jul 25 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (gwiz @ Jul 24 2009, 07:12 PM) *
There's at least a partial collection here:
https://mira.hq.nasa.gov/history/

I know, a great resource, but the set is indeed partial, and, as of today, I cannot even access the Press Releases URL on the site.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:25 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.