Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cassini Stargazing?
jmknapp
post Oct 25 2005, 11:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

An activity several days ago had the narrow angle camera pointing to the Pleiades (RA 56.871, dec 24.449). What's that all about? Here's the science plan entry:

BEGIN_TIME: 183256204.182416 (2005 OCT 22 12:29:00 UTC)

END_TIME: 183289624.182419 (2005 OCT 22 21:46:00 UTC)

PRIMARY_POINTING: ISS_NAC to 56.871/24.449

REQUEST_ID: VIMS_017OT_PLEIADES001_PRIME

REQUEST_TITLE: Pleiades

REQ_DESCRIPTION: Turn to Pleiades; Time: 30 min

Pleiades: multiple cubes w/64x64 FOV IR @ 640 ms, VIS @ 40000 ms; Time: 7.0 hr 47 min; Volume: 86.5 Mbits; CompRatio: 2.0

Turn to waypoint: 30 min

Primary: -y to Pleiades; Secondary: +z to TBD

Not time critical.

RWA REQUIRED.

SECONDARY_POINTING: POS_X to NSP

SEQUENCE: S15

SUBSYSTEM: VIMS

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Oct 25 2005, 12:01 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Oct 25 2005, 01:22 PM)
An activity several days ago had the narrow angle camera pointing to the Pleiades (RA 56.871, dec 24.449). What's that all about?

Instrument calibration purposes? Acquiring of stellar spectra for VIMS and PSF, flatfields for the cameras? AFAIK there are supposed to be regular calibration measurements made at least once per year to better understand the instrument performance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Richard Trigaux_*
post Oct 25 2005, 12:50 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (ugordan @ Oct 25 2005, 12:01 PM)
Instrument calibration purposes? Acquiring of stellar spectra for VIMS and PSF, flatfields for the cameras? AFAIK there are supposed to be regular calibration measurements made at least once per year to better understand the instrument performance.

This is understandable, aiming the instruments at known targets to compare their output. The Pleiades were selected perhaps because they offer a great number of stars of varied sizes ( ideal to plot the luminance response curve of the cameras) into only one frame, and also they are very close together (separation power of the cameras).

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Oct 25 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Richard Trigaux @ Oct 25 2005, 02:50 PM)
This is understandable, aiming the instruments at known targets to compare their output. The Pleiades were selected perhaps because they offer a great number of stars of varied sizes ( ideal to plot the luminance response curve of the cameras) into only one frame, and also they are very close together (separation power of the cameras).

The Pleiades seem to be a popular target for in-flight calibration purposes. I recall at least one other mission that used them for camera testing, OTOH it might have been Deep Impact or MESSENGER.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Oct 25 2005, 05:47 PM
Post #5

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Star clusters are great targets for calibration because their dense...clustering of stars at varied brightnesses allow for montioring of the PSF and the instrument response. HiRISE looked at Omega Centauri, for example, last month.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Oct 25 2005, 05:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Oct 25 2005, 12:47 PM)
Star clusters are great targets for calibration because their dense...clustering of stars at varied brightnesses allow for montioring of the PSF and the instrument response.  HiRISE looked at Omega Centauri, for example, last month.

Could Cassini conduct any significant stellar astronomy? It is about a billion miles closer to the rest of the galaxy than we are on Earth. tongue.gif

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 25 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #7

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Oct 25 2005, 05:52 PM)
Could Cassini conduct any significant stellar astronomy?  It is about a billion miles closer to the rest of the galaxy than we are on Earth.  tongue.gif

That's a bit like climbing up a step ladder to get a better look at the moon.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Oct 25 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #8

I think this is one of the Pleiades images, but can't really tell. The FOV of the narrow angle camera is much less than the width of the Pleiades, so maybe only one bright star is in the field (Alcyone?):

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...5/N00042058.jpg

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Oct 26 2005, 11:56 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 25 2005, 03:20 PM)
That's a bit like climbing up a step ladder to get a better look at the moon.

Well, technically, one would be closer to the Moon.

Repeating smiley here: rolleyes.gif

--------------------
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Oct 26 2005, 01:22 PM
Post #10

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Oct 25 2005, 05:52 PM)
Could Cassini conduct any significant stellar astronomy?  It is about a billion miles closer to the rest of the galaxy than we are on Earth.  tongue.gif

Seriously, I read a proposal for an astrometry mission which would be sent on an Interstellar Probe type trajectory. The purpose would be to get a longer baseline for parallax. However, the resolution of Cassini's cameras is not good enough to give it an advantage at Saturn.

--------------------

+Quote Post
odave
post Oct 26 2005, 05:07 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 209

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Oct 26 2005, 07:56 AM)
Well, technically, one would be closer to the Moon.

Repeating smiley here:  rolleyes.gif

And also quite necessary if one's view of the moon is blocked by one's neighbor's privacy fence wink.gif

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
pat
post Oct 26 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 532

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Oct 25 2005, 11:07 PM)
I think this is one of the Pleiades images, but can't really tell. The FOV of the narrow angle camera is much less than the width of the Pleiades, so maybe only one bright star is in the field (Alcyone?):

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...5/N00042058.jpg

nope, this is from ISS_017ST_MONITOR001_PRIME, the bright star is Vega

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Oct 26 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (pat @ Oct 26 2005, 02:39 PM)
nope, this is from ISS_017ST_MONITOR001_PRIME, the bright star is Vega

Should have known you'd track it down. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Oct 28 2005, 02:02 PM
Post #14

gr-qc/0510105 [abs, ps, pdf, other] :

Title: A comment on the possibility of testing the Dvali-Gabadadze-Porrati gravity model with the outer planets of the Solar System

Authors: Lorenzo Iorio

Comments: LaTex, 7 pages, 2 tables, 0 figures, 18 references

Subj-class: General Relativity and Quantum Cosmology; Space Physics

The multidimensional braneworld gravity model by Dvali, Gabadadze and Porrati was primarily put forth to explain the observed acceleration of the expansion of the Universe without resorting to dark energy. One of the most intriguing features of such a model is that it also predicts small effects on the orbital motion of test particles which could be tested in such a way that local measurements at Solar System scales would allow to get information on the global properties of the Universe. Lue and Starkman derived a secular extra-perihelion \omega precession of 5\times 10^-4 arcseconds per century, while Iorio showed that the mean longitude \lambda is affected by a secular precession of about 10^-3 arcseconds per century. Such effects depend only on the eccentricities e of the orbits via second-order terms: they are, instead, independent of their semimajor axes a. Up to now, the observational efforts focused on the dynamics of the inner planets of the Solar System whose orbits are the best known via radar ranging. Since the competing Newtonian and Einsteinian effects like the precessions due to the solar quadrupole mass moment J2, the gravitoelectric and gravitomagnetic part of the equations of motion reduce with increasing distances, it would be possible to argue that an analysis of the orbital dynamics of the outer planets of the Solar System, with particular emphasis on Saturn because of the ongoing Cassini mission with its precision ranging instrumentation, could be helpful in evidencing the predicted new features of motion. In this note we investigate this possibility in view of the latest results in the planetary ephemeris field. Unfortunately, the current level of accuracy rules out this appealing possibility and it appears unlikely that Cassini and GAIA will ameliorate the situation.

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0510105

gr-qc/0508012 [abs, ps, pdf, other] :

Title: On the impossibility of using certain existing spacecraft for the measurement of the Lense-Thirring effect in the terrestrial gravitational field

Authors: Lorenzo Iorio

Comments: LaTex2e, 13 pages, no figures, no tables, 31 references. Reference added, Section 2.4 added

Subj-class: General Relativity and Quantum Cosmology; Space Physics

In the context of the currently ongoing efforts to improve the accuracy and reliability of the measurement of the Lense-Thirring effect in the gravitational field of the Earth it has recently been proposed to use the data from the existing spacecraft endowed with some active mechanisms of compensation of the non-gravitational accelerations like GRACE. In this paper we critically discuss this interesting possibility. Unfortunately, it turns out to be unpracticable because of the impact of the uncancelled even zonal harmonic coefficients of the multipolar expansion of the terrestrial gravitational potential and of some time-dependent tidal perturbations which would resemble as superimposed linear trends over the necessarily limited observational time span of the analysis.

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0508012

--------------------

+Quote Post
SigurRosFan
post May 29 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 471

There is another Deep Sky image online.

Gasgiant Saturn and supergiant Rigel:

- PIA08187: Help from Orion

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:19 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.