18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Future Venus Missions
JRehling
post Oct 16 2020, 08:01 PM
Post #256

Group: Members
Member No.: 321

One also needs to know if "high" and "relatively high" are referring to the same altitudes or if there's some important difference there. I would guess that anything above the clouds, encountering direct solar UV, qualifies equally well as "high" for these purposes, but I never received a paycheck for studying Venus.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Oct 17 2020, 03:10 AM
Post #257

Group: Members
Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (Xerxes @ Oct 16 2020, 12:34 PM) *
I suppose one would need a great deal more expertise to know whose argument is stronger.

Expertise, maybe. But as humans, we can also employ our heuristic tools of caricature, profiling and prejudice.

Therese Encrenaz has been in *planetary* spectroscopy a long time. I think (and my Planetary Climate book gives many examples) in planetary science there are many instances of spectroscopic detections being disproved by in-situ or other data, which make some people (like her) cautious. In stellar astronomy (which seems to be where the Cardiff group has more pedigree), I could imagine there are fewer disproved 'discoveries' just because there are fewer ways to confirm or refute initial announcements.

So, IMHO, if Therese says it isnt in her data, then it isnt in her data... (and knowing her, she wouldnt say it wasnt there on Venus, only that there wasnt evidence for it in her data).

It may be non-PC to consider such meta-factors, but at the hairy edge of detectability, one is obliged - Bayeswise - to weigh all the information.

There are sadly a lot of incentives in the journals and the media to talking up anything that could bear on life in the universe - indeed Nature Astronomy even had an editorial congratulating itself on how much press the paper had generated and how this was only possible because of their media embargo policy. Cui bono....

All this said, Venus deserved the attention.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2020 - 10:56 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.