2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Panorama Stitching, Rick Szeliski's Work Is the Best
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Sep 26 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 26 2006, 08:03 AM) *
My understanding was that the public release of daily raw images was forced on the imaging team by JPL against their wishes.

Be that as it may, this doesn't give Porco the right to harass private, taxpaying citizens who take advantage of the public releases. I wonder if she sends similar emails to Elachi or Griffin.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Sep 26 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 384

QUOTE (Malmer @ Sep 25 2006, 08:27 PM) *
Then I got an email from Carolyn Porco...
...and Im not going to publish anything i have done from any ongoing missions anymore.
/M

mad.gif WoW!!! mad.gif
So that is the untold story about that image...
I have just GOOGLED UP this
Carolyn is the CEO of Diamond Sky Productions,a small company devoted
to the scientific,as well as artful,use of planetary images and computer
graphics for the presentation of science to the public.

She is angry becase you are doing her job... mad.gif
wink.gif Surprise!!! wink.gif

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Sep 26 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 384

...and some more bad news...
She also is the lead imaging scientist on the New Horizons Pluto/Kui-
per Belt mission,launched in early 2006,which will take the first look
at Pluto and other bodies in the so-called Kuiper Belt past the planet
Neptune.

So guys no stitching of that Jupiter/Pluto/KBO/etc objects...
Maybe that is the reason why we still haven't seen first Jupiter photos from NH...
There ain't no NH Raw Images site???
...weeel we could buy a poster from Diamond Sky Productions for some $$$...

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 26 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #19

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

We HAVE seen the first Jupiter image - and we are a LONG way from worrying about the NH Pluto encounter - and being an encounter over a period of a few weeks, it's not analogous to MER or Cassini.

There are reasons to be upset over some things, but NH imagery is not one.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 26 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #20

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Malmer @ Sep 25 2006, 10:27 AM) *
Thanx!
Then I got an email from Carolyn Porco...

...and Im not going to publish anything i have done from any ongoing missions anymore.

Mattias, can you send me via private messaging a copy of this email? I'm not going to get in a political discussion here, but I have the ability investigate NASA/JPL policy and how it came to be and where it's going -- from the top down. One thing is certain, the MER model has been a tremendouos success and a positive PR triumph for NASA specifically and space sciences in general. I will leave your name out of it.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Sep 27 2006, 08:59 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 468

Easy now!

Dont you all go on a rampage over this. I will still do work for every other mission i can lay my hands on. (I might even do some cassini stuff when no one is watching)

Personally i think that all space data should be "For All Mankind". I think that we as a species need to look outward to solve our local problems. We need to drop our egos. Thats why i had my pictures in full resolution in my little webfolder. (currently offline due to server reconfiguration) I want anyone to be able to print them and put them on ther wall or in their classrooms or whatever so that everyone could see the immense beauty.

I do however take a small fee if its supposed to go into a publication because I need to make sure that my wife thinks its worthwile having me infront of my computer all the time.

Im sorry for hijacking this thread. Can we return to the issue off which panorama stitcher is the most useful?

/Mattias

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Sep 27 2006, 09:53 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 174

Actually, the most useful panorama stitcher is a good straight-edge and non-yellowing tape....

If I cut up a rover panorama into printout sized segments with a few pixels overlap.. I can get nearly seamless looking strip mosaics from my $300 color laser printer.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 27 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #23

Founder

When the shed-office is finished, I have two plans for 'decorating'. One is the victoria pan on the wall behind the desk - and the other is to print all the individual pathfinder colour frames, trim them out and stick it all on the wall frame by frame smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Sep 27 2006, 06:56 PM
Post #24

Guests

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 26 2006, 11:59 PM) *
When the shed-office is finished, I have two plans for 'decorating'. One is the victoria pan on the wall behind the desk - and the other is to print all the individual pathfinder colour frames, trim them out and stick it all on the wall frame by frame smile.gif

Be careful, Doug. You shed could end up looking like the shed in the movie A Beautiful Mind. You know, the scene where Alicia Nash (Jennifer Connelly) goes to the woods behind the house, walks in to the old abandoned storage shed, and discovers what John Nash (Russell Crowe) has really been doing during his "recovery." tongue.gif

See http://www.freehomepages.com/iam27paul/bea..._mind_room.jpeg.

This post has been edited by AlexBlackwell: Sep 27 2006, 07:03 PM

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 27 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #25

Founder

Oops - cunning remote image link blocking...but I know the scene you mean.....yes, a little bit like that smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 27 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #26

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

There is one thing that needs to be taken into account when comparing the apparent 'attitude' of the Cassini imaging team (or at least its PI) to that of the MER team:

Public realtime (or near-realtime) release of the MER imagery was the plan right from the start. Also of significance is that the MER project was started years after the WWW started.

Cassini is a totally different beast. It was started as a project before the WWW even existed. The realtime release of Cassini images was applied 'retroactively', it was never planned. I'm not trying to justify anything some of the Cassini people may have said or done but I still think this is a significant factor.

That said I think Cassini may be the last mission where this is a problem. The last US mission that is - ESA still has a lot to learn. Because of this, Malmer's decision to not publish anything from ongoing missions sounds drastic if I'm correct - this is not a problem with MER images and apparently not MRO either (hopefully we'll soon know).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:47 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.