Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Charon has Geysers too
SigurRosFan
post Jul 18 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 471

----------
The only mechanism that explained the data was cryovolcanism, the eruption of liquids and gases in an ultra-cold environment.

This action could be occurring on timescales as short as a few hours or days, and at levels that would recoat Charon to a depth of one millimeter every 100,000 years.
----------

- Charon: An Ice Machine in the Ultimate Deep Freeze

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Rob Pinnegar
post Jul 19 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 426

Hmm. This is interesting.

I wouldn't have thought that something as small as Charon could still have liquid water in its interior. This isn't like Enceladus or Miranda where a big gas-giant planet is available to power tidal heating.

Just to speculate: My understanding is that a lot of the Earth's uranium floated to the crustal layer during the planet's formation. You'd expect such a heavy element to sink, but uranium likes to combine chemically with oxygen, and that provides it with a lot of buoyancy.

On a body like Charon, though, the uranium would only be able to float to the top of the core -- where it would remain, insulated by a 500-km-deep layer of ice. So should we expect ice/rock bodies like Pluto, Charon and Triton to hold onto their radiothermal heat more efficiently than similarly-sized rocky bodies? (Assuming we could find any similarly sized rocky bodies, of course.)

+Quote Post
Littlebit
post Jul 23 2007, 05:54 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1041

QUOTE (Rob Pinnegar @ Jul 19 2007, 07:44 AM) *
Just to speculate: My understanding is that a lot of the Earth's uranium floated to the crustal layer during the planet's formation. You'd expect such a heavy element to sink, but uranium likes to combine chemically with oxygen, and that provides it with a lot of buoyancy.

There is also the chromographic soil effect: At a nuclear facility near Hanford, Washington, extremely low concentration radioactive wastes were dumped in an evaporative sludge pond. Over time (probably decades), elements were chomographically separated in the clay, and a layer of high energy waste was concentrated naturally near the surface to an unnatrual level - almost self sustaining.

I also have a questionable account about how the problem was discovered: rabbits managed to get through the fence and nibble on grasses growing in the pond. Routine radioactive measurements taken outside of the fence uncovered radioactive rabbit pellets...

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- SigurRosFan   Charon has Geysers too   Jul 18 2007, 04:08 PM
- - elakdawalla   ...I'm working on a story right now...type fas...   Jul 18 2007, 04:18 PM
- - volcanopele   Very interesting! Okay...so now I am confused...   Jul 18 2007, 05:42 PM
- - climber   We know there are Geysers on Triton, now Charon, s...   Jul 18 2007, 06:00 PM
- - David   This is annoying: QUOTE Charon is the companion w...   Jul 18 2007, 08:32 PM
- - nprev   From Emily's excellent article (way to fly tho...   Jul 19 2007, 09:48 AM
|- - djellison   QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 19 2007, 10:48 AM) nic...   Jul 19 2007, 10:26 AM
- - Rob Pinnegar   Hmm. This is interesting. I wouldn't have th...   Jul 19 2007, 01:44 PM
|- - Littlebit   QUOTE (Rob Pinnegar @ Jul 19 2007, 07:44 ...   Jul 23 2007, 05:54 PM
|- - Juramike   QUOTE (Littlebit @ Jul 23 2007, 01:54 PM)...   Jul 25 2007, 02:16 AM
- - Juramike   Wow. Would this then imply that we might expect a...   Jul 19 2007, 01:58 PM
- - remcook   If the surface is covered with fresh ice I can ima...   Jul 19 2007, 02:53 PM
- - marsbug   Apart from heat due to radioactive materials, are ...   Jul 19 2007, 03:06 PM
|- - Rob Pinnegar   QUOTE (marsbug @ Jul 19 2007, 09:06 AM) ....   Jul 21 2007, 07:24 PM
- - Littlebit   Charon - the ultimate in fresh powder skiing...or ...   Jul 19 2007, 03:07 PM
- - centsworth_II   Or would it be powder cross country, with few slop...   Jul 19 2007, 03:13 PM
- - Juramike   A current projected resurfacing rate of 1 mm/1E5 y...   Jul 19 2007, 03:18 PM
- - edstrick   So THAT'S where they filmed "Night of the...   Jul 24 2007, 06:58 AM
- - nprev   Only if the...er...evidence was the size of rugby ...   Jul 25 2007, 12:23 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:53 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.