32 Pages V  « < 28 29 30 31 32 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
mer photos
scooterlord
post Mar 14 2012, 01:37 PM
Post #436

Group: Members
Member No.: 1097

So, here is the new render.. click on the differences render for a full view as always...

on the left is the new version, removed the metallic parts from the top of the wheels, rerendered them with a black matte look, retouched the dirt layer a bit.

--------------------
Highly Detailed3D Models on my site:

http://www.nicksotiriadis.gr
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 14 2012, 01:56 PM
Post #437

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I can't really believe I'm saying this. They still look reflective. I can see the rocks in the soil infront of the wheels reflected in them.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Mar 14 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #438

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

I thought the same as Doug. I would suggest if you are going to apply dirt, you need to make to make it uniform -- like a fine puff of dust.

Right now you are using a random density pattern that looks like someone placed dirty hands on a wall. Look at Astro0's second and third images again.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
john_s
post Mar 14 2012, 02:40 PM
Post #439

Member No.: 117

Yes the blotches of dirt on the wheels still *look* like reflections of features in the scene, even though I now know that they're not. Even if you accept them as dirt blotches, they don't look realistic. Is there a dirt texture that can be applied that puts the dirt on more evenly, and preferentially in concavities, as in Astro0's examples, which look more realistically dusty in my opinion?

Interesting how getting the dirt to look right is trickier than getting the "showroom floor" rover to look right- not surprising I suppose.

John

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 14 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #440

Well, to be honest, I think now I got it. I used the shadow layer as a mask in order to dirty up the parts of the wheels that are shadowed (usually where dirt also collects) and voila! Everyone happy now??? smile.gif ...finally? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 14 2012, 04:07 PM
Post #441

Founder

Well - there's a couple of things I'd still tweak, and I'm still not convinced by the wheels - but yeah...

that's pretty awesome

smile.gif

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Mar 14 2012, 04:12 PM
Post #442

Member No.: 132

A wise man once warned about letting better become the enemy of good enough. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 14 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #443

Founder

And of course, that depends where you're definition of 'Enough' is.

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 14 2012, 05:36 PM
Post #444

QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 14 2012, 06:07 PM) *
Well - there's a couple of things I'd still tweak, and I'm still not convinced by the wheels - but yeah...that's pretty awesome

...well, that's good enough for me... but IS IT? Am I done with this? Can I go on? smile.gif

For last minute changes, now is your chance! tongue.gif

...I was wondering if I could use this project in some way to release, I don't know, posters or mugs or t-shirts or whatever, but I guess there would be right issues. Is there anyone else here that know who I should talk to? Would any of you be interested in something like this? :/ I know I am printing a huge poster for myself biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Mar 14 2012, 06:07 PM
Post #445

Member No.: 103

Astounding!

The only comment I have about the wheels is that they are sitting "on top" of the surface rather than interacting with it. I noticed the same thing with the MER in the lab rendering. It's as though they are perched on a single point at the bottom of each wheel, and so the MER looks like it lacks "weight", for lack of a better term. I know that the wheels don't deform much under the weight of the MER, but certainly in the Mars rendering, they would have penetrated at least a couple mm into the surface.

In airplane scale models, one trick you learn is to flatten the bottom of the tires (and ideally make them bulge out a bit) to mimic how they appear when supporting the weight of the airplane. Is there any such equivalent deformation with the MER wheels?

Again, just my $0.02. Your model is absolutely amazing.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 14 2012, 06:30 PM
Post #446

Founder

They don't appreciably deform (especially under Mars gravity where each wheel's loading is only about 10kg equiv) - but they do squish into the ground, you're right.

Scooter - as for rights issues.....that's your model, you made it and so own the rights to it, but I would drop JPL media relations a courtesy email just to make sure you're not stepping in any hot water if you try to profit from it, given Caltech's unique relationship between NASA and JPL, and the legal authority they have over the 'likeness' of the rover itself.

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 14 2012, 07:09 PM
Post #447

Once more, thanks for the valuable information. Will contact them. I was thinking something like a fair price for products, part of which would go to unicef - will also have to contact them to see how things work. Firstly though I'd like to know if there's any interest so that I don't mess with anything if it's not worth bothering.

As for the wheels comment, it's not hard to erase the bottom part of the wheels and make it look like it's in the sand, but as for the studio renders, the wheels sit properly on their bottomest mettalic surface. Can't do anything about that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Leither
post Mar 14 2012, 10:00 PM
Post #448

Member No.: 1002

Nick, that is just awesome, truly AWESOME - I'm running out of words of exaltation!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (scooterlord @ Mar 14 2012, 05:36 PM) *
For last minute changes, now is your chance! tongue.gif

There is one teeny weeny omission I've noticed - and unfortunately everytime I look at the image I'm drawn to it - you're missing the front locating pin on the left hand solar panel.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

- wish I'd spotted in earlier!! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 14 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #449

Well, I modeled this, it must have been lost somewhere with the hides, and deletes.. its difficult to manipulate 30.000 objects... something always gets lost :/

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Mar 15 2012, 03:56 AM
Post #450

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Nick,
I know I would be interested in a poster. I am thinking of creating a UMSF "exhibit booth" and would love to show off some of your work. I was downright appalled at how bad the presentation booths looked at my son's recent Science Fair. Not the kids, those were great; I mean the ones from local companies and non-profits. I thought to myself "I could make a booth 100x better than these with a couple of old computers from Discount Electronics and some posters from UMSF." I'm working on a photoshop mockup now to see how it would look.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 28 29 30 31 32 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:32 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.