Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mars calendar, mission sols in a standard calendar
Phil Stooke
post Apr 30 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #1

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

This file is something I put together to relate sols for all Mars lander missions to the standard Mars calendar devised by Clancy et al. and now widely used with orbital data. I'm posting it in case it might be useful to others.

It's an Excel file, so it can easily be extended if necessary. Each mission is given three columns, one for mission sols on the surface (some start with sol 0, some with sol 1, according to mission usage), one for the Mars year and one for the sol of that year.

Please note that there may be discrepancies of one sol here and there because I am simplifying things quite a lot here. For instance, MER-A and MER-B are half a planet apart, so their sols are half a sol out of phase, but I'm ignoring that in relating them to the planet-wide sol of the Clancy system. Details of the Mars calendar can be found on Emily's website at:

http://www.planetary.org/explore/space-top...s-calendar.html

(I have made independent lists of Mars historical dates in my forthcoming Mars atlas). And conversions to Earth dates can be made via this VERY useful website:

http://www-mars.lmd.jussieu.fr/mars/time/martian_time.html

Phil

Attached File  mars_calendars.xls ( 323.5K ) Number of downloads: 743

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tanjent
post Apr 30 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 628

Trying to figure what happened in 1955 to mark the base year. Must be so obvious that it doesn't get routine mention detectable in my brief attempt to Google it. Forgive me for asking rather than conducting a more thorough search. (In my personal planetary time zone, it's about time to head to the office.) My best WAG is that it's the publication year of something by Clarke, Bradbury or Heinlein.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Apr 30 2012, 11:00 PM
Post #3

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

It seems that most quote :

An intercomparison of ground-based millimeter, MGS
TES, and Viking atmospheric temperature
measurements' Seasonal and interannual variability of
temperatures and dust loading in the global Mars atmosphere
R. T. Clancy, • B. J. Sandor, 2 M. J. Wolff, • P. R. Christensen,
J. C. Pearl, 4 B. J. Conrath, 5 and R. J. Wilson

As the source for the 1955 date. In that paper, they simply say:

For the purpose of this comparison, we
use the solar longitude range 0ø-360 ø to define a Mars
year and adopt April 11, 1955 (L$=0 ø) as the beginning
of year 1. In this arbitrary convention, the Mariner 9,
Viking, Phobos, and Pathfinder missions occurred in
years 9-10, 12-15, 19-20, and 23, respectivel

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 1 2012, 12:16 AM
Post #4

The 1955 start date is designed to be just before the global dust storm of 1956, the first one to be investigated in detail. This calendar system was originally set up for atmospheric studies.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
mwolff
post May 3 2012, 02:43 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 646

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 30 2012, 07:16 PM) *
The 1955 start date is designed to be just before the global dust storm of 1956, the first one to be investigated in detail. This calendar system was originally set up for atmospheric studies.

Phil

As the citations indicates, it was an essentially arbitrary choice. However, the fact that 1956 was an International Geophysics Year and that it had the best Mars "opposition" for the previous 15 years led to a lot of attention for Mars (including the beautiful imagery in Slipher's book of 1962). So, it was a confluence of things including the dust storm...including the wish to avoid the need to large numbers at present. It was not Clancy's birthday (and he has expressed happiness of not having chosen that year...since he wasn't really thinking about how that would look).

There has been some debate (among a very small number of people) about what would have been a better choice. However, it boils down to the fact that this system is in use and it seems that many of the people who propose different zero-points don't actually use the system.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 3 2012, 02:56 PM
Post #6

In fact I have never seen any other system used beyond the person or group who devised it. This particular calendar is in widespread use in the literature and in PDS documentation.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:11 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.