IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
To the Cape! (part 2), For real this time!
edstrick
post Jul 10 2008, 09:01 AM
Post #166

Group: Members
Member No.: 174

"Could there be an advantage in being in shadow? ..."

Yes, but. If the camera lenses were spotlessly clean, diffuse illumination would indeed have advantages. Only with the sun close enough to the field of view to cause actual lens-flares that interfere with visibility in the diffusely illuminated shadow would there be a problem. Unfortunately, post-dust-storm, the lenses are very un-clean.

When all else fails, and you think youi're going blind...... CLEAN YOUR GLASSES.
Unfortunately, the rovers can't.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jul 10 2008, 09:30 AM
Post #167

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (edstrick @ Jul 10 2008, 10:01 AM) *
Yes, but. Unfortunately, post-dust-storm, the lenses are very un-clean.

Thanks for that reply, but can you clarify something for me. What is the main problem with the dust on the lenses when it comes to taking shots in the cliff shadow specifically? Is it:
1/ simple obscuration causing too-low light levels in the camera, or
2/ interference from light scattered by the lens dust washing out the darker parts of the scene?

If the former there's not much to be done I suppose. But if it's the latter? Presumably it's normal to arrange for the lenses not to be in direct sunlight, and presumably indirect illumination of the lens dust will decrease the closer in we get to the shadowed cliff, so maybe the shadow images will get progressively better for that reason??

Please correct me if I'm hopelessly off-track.

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jul 10 2008, 10:54 AM
Post #168

"...What is the main problem with the dust on the lenses when it comes to taking shots in the cliff shadow specifically? Is it:
1/ simple obscuration causing too-low light levels in the camera, or
2/ interference from light scattered by the lens dust washing out the darker parts of the scene? "

I presume it's mostly the latter, though when dust on lenses was recently recent additions, and the camera looked up at relatively featureless sky, you could actually see out of focus globs of dust on the optics as shadows. When it's thick enough, it obscures light, and diffusely transmits it like Titan's atmosphere. But mostly, it's like driving toward the sun 20 min from sunset with a dirty windshield. Unfortunately, with the sun on the north side of the sky, it's the worst case, and its scattered glare is hard to avoid except in early morning or late afternoon, not the best time of day power-wise <regardless of other operating constraints> of the rovers.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 10 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #169

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Camera in shadow, means rover in shadow, means a big hit on Whrs.

The recent 4.30pm dusk panorama though, is an example of what can happen to help.

Doug

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jul 10 2008, 11:01 AM
Post #170

"Camera in shadow, means rover in shadow, means a big hit on Whrs"

Bet you get cold, fast, too!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 10 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #171

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

You get cold at night anyway smile.gif

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 10 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #172

Member No.: 523

Would it really get that cold in the shadow and fast? I take it the rarefied martian air sucks at conduction and convection so the primary means of losing heat would be radiation. The rover's not that hot in the first place, so radiative cooling ought to be slow, no?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jul 10 2008, 12:15 PM
Post #173

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 10 2008, 11:55 AM) *
Camera in shadow, means rover in shadow

If it's within the cast shadow of the cliff, yes. But if the camera's pointed NW in the morning or NE in the afternoon it should be sufficiently far from the solar azimuth to keep direct sunlight off the lens, no? Your post suggests that something like this tactic is already being adopted.

I suppose as the sky fills a smaller and smaller solid angle as seen by the lens you get down to a limiting situation where most of the remaining illumination of the lens dust is coming from sunlit parts of the rover itself. I'm not familiar enough with the rover geometry to know how significant that would be.

Anyhow, the pictures so far have been truly spectacular. Congratulations to the rover team, and thanks too for all the great processed images posted here. What a party!

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 10 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #174

Member No.: 152

One additional problem to add to ngunn's list is ccd bleeding. If you're trying to image shadowed areas of the cliff, and there are adjacent sunlit areas or sky, you can get severe bleeding ruining the image if you expose for the shadowed areas.
QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 10 2008, 10:55 AM) *
The recent 4.30pm dusk panorama though, is an example of what can happen to help.

That reminds me: I assume you're talking about the sol 1579/80 L1 sequences. Using the rawid utility (which I found on these pages in the distant past), the 1579 sequence went from about 16:35 to 16:50 local time, and 1580 was about 15 minutes earlier.

But using Tman's filename decoder I get considerably later times: 17:45 to 18:00 on 1579 (and again 15 minutes earlier on 1580). My assumption is that rawid has gotten well out of synch, and that Tman's decoder is much closer to the truth. Can anyone clarify this?

If 18:00 is correct, that would definitely be after sunset for Oppy considering that she's in a hole, since even out on the plains the sun would set a bit before 18:00 local solar time near the winter solstice.

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Jul 10 2008, 04:18 PM
Post #175

Member No.: 678

Hi

It was hard, long, but I finally "succed" to make this huge panoramic view of Cape Verde (there already are some vignetign and flares, in spite of my efforts sad.gif).

Various resolution can be found at the end of this page (summer page because of impossibility to update my webstite):
http://www.db-prods.net/blog/?page_id=151

And I've made two desktops, one for 4:3 screens, and other for 16:9.

So, time to have a break biggrin.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Jul 10 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #176

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Jul 9 2008, 07:22 AM) *
I'm looking for a place to post the 19mb version. smile.gif

Here it is. smile.gif

James (on behalf of Astro0)

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Jul 10 2008, 09:30 PM
Post #177

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 10 2008, 05:42 PM) *
That reminds me: I assume you're talking about the sol 1579/80 L1 sequences. Using the rawid utility (which I found on these pages in the distant past), the 1579 sequence went from about 16:35 to 16:50 local time, and 1580 was about 15 minutes earlier.

But using Tman's filename decoder I get considerably later times: 17:45 to 18:00 on 1579 (and again 15 minutes earlier on 1580). My assumption is that rawid has gotten well out of synch, and that Tman's decoder is much closer to the truth. Can anyone clarify this?

From the pancam web I get 17:38 for the first picture in the 1579's sequence and 17:55 for the last one. huh.gif

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 10 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #178

Member No.: 152

Thanks, Tesheiner. So it seems Tman's filename decoder agrees with pancam web to 5 minutes or so, which is very good. Also, Tman says that his decoder agrees well with MER Analyst's Notebook and the Mars24 Sunclock.

So that really was a late sequence!

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jul 10 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #179

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Here it is. smile.gif James (on behalf of Astro0)

Thanks James.
I know you went to a lot of trouble to place that online for me.
Very much appreciated.
Cheers
Astro0

+Quote Post
Tman
post Jul 11 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #180

Member No.: 186

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jul 10 2008, 11:30 PM) *
From the pancam web I get 17:38 for the first picture in the 1579's sequence and 17:55 for the last one. huh.gif

Did you ever find out what "LST" there exactly means - is it LTST (Local true solar time)? According the differences to MER Analyst's Notebook until sol 1350 it could/should be. http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...8P2398R1M1.HTML from sol 1350 shows in the Notebook a difference of 2:45 minutes in the same direction.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:41 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.