IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Going to Grissom Hill and a very impressive crater, ... is it possible?
Ant103
post Feb 28 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 678

Good Evening!

In looking images who show Grissom Hill on the horizon, I've asked me a question : "Is it possible for Spirit to roving to Grissom Hill?"
To make me sure, I went on Marsrovers JPL site and searched for an MGS satellite image showing the landing site.

I've calculated approximately the distance : 8 or 9 kms. It's far but this could be a very interesting place ... more than Columbia Hill!
Western from Grissom Hill, I'd seen a very big crater (1 or 2 kms diameter...). This one is certainly interesting for "areologist" who want to study the past of Gusev...

Spirit is in good health. Why not?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ToSeek
post Feb 28 2006, 06:22 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 74

Intriguing crater, but could they even get into it?

+Quote Post
Marcel
post Feb 28 2006, 06:53 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 65

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Feb 28 2006, 06:55 PM) *
Good Evening!

In looking images who show Grissom Hill on the horizon, I've asked me a question : "Is it possible for Spirit to roving to Grissom Hill?"
To make me sure, I went on Marsrovers JPL site and searched for an MGS satellite image showing the landing site.
I've calculated approximately the distance : 8 or 9 kms. It's far but this could be a very interesting place ... more than Columbia Hill!
Western from Grissom Hill, I'd seen a very big crater (1 or 2 kms diameter...). This one is certainly interesting for "areologist" who want to study the past of Gusev...

Spirit is in good health. Why not?

Two years ago i would have laughed ot loud....now i'm not sure if it's impossible, but it's close to impossible i'd say. That would mean a work load to the non (never) maintained moving parts of roughly two times the odometry allready "under the belt". Not to speak about the dust, that finally will get to her. But when will that be ? unsure.gif unsure.gif

Oops, sorry for not removing the image..

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 28 2006, 07:44 PM
Post #4

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I'd think things that distant ( 4 or 5 times more distance that we've covered so far ) would simply be too far to worth considering, it'd be a waste of time setting off to explore them knowing that the chances of reaching them are so very very small when there might be something less interesting, but a lot more achievable.

To paraphrase Steve, they will die eventually, I'm sure of that.

Doug

+Quote Post
imipak
post Feb 28 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 617

Hello Doug,

QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 28 2006, 07:44 PM) *
To paraphrase Steve, they will die eventually, I'm sure of that.

I started reading this thread with no recollection at all of hills Grisson, Chaffee and White, and with about as much expectation that Spirit could get that far. Then I started thinking about probabilities. Granted that (as you say) they'll both die one day, but taking into account also the much longer than expected lifespan so far, the cleaning events and so on... surely there is a finite (but small) chance that Spirit could live long enough to reach Grissom. Just to pick a random number, let's say there's a 1% probability. Is that enough to warrant torturing ourselves dreaming of the unattainable? Engineering decisions are surely driven by probabilities. To pull another random example... bridges are built to withstand 100, 200, 400 year storms, (assuming that figure's been correctly calculated by the people with the pulsating frontal lobes and access to the the data & tools needed to work it out...) My local suspension bridge* has a design limit of (IIRC) 100mph winds. Well, 120mph winds are not inconceivable here... but very unlikely;once every four hundred years, IIRC. 80mph, OTOH, happens every other year. So, given that faster enough winds will result in it falling into the river smile.gif that's probably a risk worth addressing, either reducing the probability of it happening, or reducing the consequences of it happening.

Looking at the rovers' lifespans from the inverse point of view... if there's a 1 in 400 chance of Spirit reaching Grissom, and assuming she survives the winter and finishes surveying HP,.. is that a high enough probability to merit spending time thinking about consequences? If OTOH JPL decide to continue puttering around the Columbia Hills, and then we find she's still alive after travelling a distance equivalent to Grissom... there's an opportunity cost.

Anyway... I'm happy that, to me, this is purely idle speculation rather than a decision I have to take smile.gif

* http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=...rch&sa=N&tab=wi

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Feb 28 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #6

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Feb 28 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 190

Just to the right off of your image is another crater SSE of the hills (see it in this msss image) we're currently headed toward, its only about half as far as the BIG crater to the left on your image and its only about 2/3ds the size but I'd say thats a much more attractive/reasonable target. It looks like there's virtually nothing else between the hills and that crater interesting looking besids one Bonnevilleish loking crater to the SSW (small and no stratification, or internal structure visible) and we know there was nothing there so.....

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Mar 1 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 429

Actually, the southern slopes of Columbia Hills may be more interesting than any recent craters in the lowland. I think all lowland was inundated by lava after Gusev was a lake.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 1 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #9

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Pavel @ Mar 1 2006, 12:37 AM) *
Actually, the southern slopes of Columbia Hills may be more interesting than any recent craters in the lowland. I think all lowland was inundated by lava after Gusev was a lake.

That depends. If there is a crater within range that penetrates to what is below the plains, then it is worth it. But that is hard to tell from MGS imagery. Perhaps MRO, with its multispectral capability, would be able to indentify such a crater.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Mar 1 2006, 05:24 AM
Post #10

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Ha! I say! Go for the gusto! Go for the delta at the mouth of Ma'adim Vallis! Columbia Hills are just crumbs compared to what's down there. :-)

But seriously, I think we've been very lucky with dust etc so far, and I think the next Martian year will be a hard one for both rovers...

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
Nix
post Mar 2 2006, 09:15 AM
Post #11

Chief Assistant

Member No.: 136

I think any big plans for the future -if Spirit keeps up, would be southward in the direction of the channel.
Grissom Hill would sure be interesting for sure, but Castril Crater -the dusty crater would not I think- just too much dust. The northeastern part of Castril's ejecta blanket and the boundaries in this area looks intriguing but fairly rough driving-ground probably.

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Mar 2 2006, 11:03 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 174

One thing that's clear. Spirit wants to stay within the dust-devil activity region. If she's not cleaned sporadically, she'll die.

The way to go is to work southward through and beside the hills after returning to homeplate and it's surroundings in the spring. There's a lot of varied geology along they way.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 2 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #13

Founder

Remember - it's not the dust devils that actually cleaned Spirit - these cleaning events often happened over night - no dust devils at night smile.gif

Hills, summits, valleys - that's what we need to keep Spirit clean - places with just strong wind.

Doug

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Mar 3 2006, 06:59 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 190

QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 2 2006, 11:17 AM) *
Remember - it's not the dust devils that actually cleaned Spirit - these cleaning events often happened over night - no dust devils at night smile.gif

Doug

How would one know? smile.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 3 2006, 08:16 AM
Post #15

Founder

How would one know what? That there's no dust devils at night? They are an afternoon phenom. kicked off by warming slopes by the sun. That the cleaning happened over night? Because solar array output was much higher than it ought to have been just after sunrise compared to the previous day.

Doug

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:01 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.