26 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The West Valley Route
Tesheiner
post Mar 18 2009, 12:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Here're the latest navcam pictures taken during sol 1850: http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/navcam/2009-03-18/

Spirit is no longer stuck, but I think the attempt to go on top of HP via the NE path is finished and we are going to the West Valley. A pancam mosaic of the western route is planned for tosol.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Mar 18 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 721

Wagons ho! Yee-haw! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Mar 18 2009, 01:21 PM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Mar 18 2009, 04:00 AM) *
t I think the attempt to go on top of HP via the NE path is finished and we are going to the West Valley. A pancam mosaic of the western route is planned for tosol.

That is correct. We are now trying to head west. Now, where's the on ramp for the I-40? ;-)

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
JayB
post Mar 20 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4611

A nice DD from the latest batch of images

http://sidfishes.wordpress.com/?attachment_id=73

edit: sorry should have posted in West valley thread --- moved (thx wink.gif

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 20 2009, 11:02 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 152

The weather at Gusev is looking a bit worse according to the latest update:
As of Sol 1851 (March 18, 2009), Spirit's solar array energy production has decreased to 230 watt-hours, down 18 percent from a week earlier. Atmospheric opacity (tau) has increased sharply, to 1.19.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Mar 21 2009, 05:59 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 615

Looks dusty out west. dd.gif
Sol 1851
Attached Image

+Quote Post
climber
post Mar 21 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 682

Nice, Astro.
Is that more or less the drive direction?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Mar 21 2009, 12:16 PM
Post #8

By the right side of that mosaic, I would say. Next move is planned for today (sol 1854).

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Mar 21 2009, 12:21 PM
Post #9

Sol1850 Navcan pan.

I'll leave the drive direction to the tracking data gurus.
Tesh is right, it's a fair bet that it's straight ahead and then take a left at the next corner. wink.gif

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Mar 21 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Mar 21 2009, 04:21 AM) *
I'll leave the drive direction to the tracking data gurus.
Tesh is right, it's a fair bet that it's straight ahead and then take a left at the next corner. wink.gif

Ok, let's do that then. ;-)

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Ipparchus
post Mar 21 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4055

Does anyone of you have any altitude and hazard maps of the Goddard-Von Braun area (red for dangerous areas etc)? The maps of this area make me feel quite pessimistic about the ability of Spirit to reach and study these targets. Von Braun has a high tilt (it seems to be difficult to climb it) and Goddard is a crater-shaped target and its tilt and soil slipperiness may make it a difficult to reach target and maybe a sand trap when Spirit tries to get out of it. If she fails to reach and study these targets what other options does she have (what other interesting targets are in this area)? wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif pancam.gif

--------------------
"It`s one small step for a man. A giant leap for all mankind!" Armstrong, Apollo 11, 1969.

+Quote Post
Geert
post Mar 21 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4185

QUOTE (Ipparchus @ Mar 22 2009, 12:14 AM) *
Does anyone of you have any altitude and hazard maps of the Goddard-Von Braun area (red for dangerous areas etc)?

Problem with all these maps is that you have to work on a very small area and way below the resolution of most instruments (except HiRISE), which simply means that there is not so much data to crunch on and that greatly effects the accuracy of any predictions.

Variance map I posted earlier already, only increased it a bit to show von Braun / Goddard. Red shows area's with large variance in HiRISE brightness which might indicate a rough surface and thus dangerous driving. Blue is slightly better but still dangerous and lightgreen is the least bad.

Attached Image

Below map is maybe interesting, this shows terrain type if I also take into account relative brightness in HiRISE (I would prefer to use CRISM for this, but it won't work on such a small scale). In this case colors do NOT have a specific meaning but they are only used to mark terrain with the same characteristics (brightness and variance). This means that there is a chance that all terrain with the same color, will show approximately the same driving characteristics.

Attached Image

Once again, don't assign any specific meaning to the colors themselves in above image, colors only note area's with the same characteristics, so if Spirit has been driving on terrain with a certain color, and futher on there is terrain with the same color, you might get the same driving experience there. Wish there was more available data (especially on hights/slopes/composition/etc) but apart from HiRISE almost all instruments have not enough resolution to produce trustworthy results in such a small area.

In the end it will be the eyes of Spirit itself with give the most information, together offcourse with the experience of the drivers.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Mar 22 2009, 02:50 AM
Post #13

Astro0 said - "I'll leave the drive direction to the tracking data gurus."

Rover Driver said - "Ok, let's do that then."

Astro0 says: What I meant to say is that "I'll leave the educated guesses responding to a question about the drive direction to the tracking data gurus, and the ACTUAL driving we will whole-heartedly support and watch in admiring back-seat silence to the Expert MER Driving Team". wink.gif

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Mar 22 2009, 06:13 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Mar 21 2009, 06:50 PM) *
Astro0 said - "I'll leave the drive direction to the tracking data gurus."

Rover Driver said - "Ok, let's do that then."

Astro0 says: What I meant to say is that "I'll leave the educated guesses responding to a question about the drive direction to the tracking data gurus, and the ACTUAL driving we will whole-heartedly support and watch in admiring back-seat silence to the Expert MER Driving Team". wink.gif

What I meant to say is that the drive direction you were suggesting was exactly the intended (and now executed) path for the Sol 1854 drive ;-)

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Mar 22 2009, 07:28 AM
Post #15

> ... and now executed...

13m westwards and downslope. That's the longest drive for Spirit since a lot of time! Keep going.

+Quote Post

26 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:54 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.