Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno development, launch, and cruise, Including Earth flyby imaging Oct 9 2013
scalbers
post Jul 27 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #286

Group: Members
Member No.: 184

Greetings,
Might be interesting to tune into the Science Briefing (after the news conference) Wed Aug 3 at 1pm EDT. Several familiar names will be participating.
Steve
P.S. NASA TV is also airing a Science Briefing of Juno as I write this.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tue Jul 26 16:30:58 2011
Subject: NASA Sets Launch Coverage Events For Mission To Jupiter

July 26, 2011
MEDIA ADVISORY: M11-156
NASA SETS LAUNCH COVERAGE EVENTS FOR MISSION TO JUPITER

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- NASA's Juno spacecraft is set to launch toward Jupiter aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket on Aug. 5. The launch window extends from 11:34 a.m. to 12:33 p.m. EDT, and the launch period extends through Aug. 26.

The spacecraft is expected to arrive at Jupiter in 2016 on a mission to investigate the gas giant's origins, structure, atmosphere and magnetosphere. Juno's color camera will provide close-up images of Jupiter, including the first detailed views of the planet's poles.

NASA will host a prelaunch news conference in the News Center at the agency's Kennedy Space Center in Florida on Wednesday, Aug. 3, at 1 p.m. EDT. Conference participants are:
-- Colleen Hartman, assistant associate administrator, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters, Washington
-- Omar Baez, NASA launch director at Kennedy -- Vernon Thorp, program manager, NASA Missions, United Launch Alliance, Denver
-- Jan Chodas, Juno project manager, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
-- Tim Gasparini, Juno program manager, Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Denver
-- Clay Flinn, Atlas V launch weather officer, 45th Weather Squadron, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.

A Juno mission science briefing will follow the prelaunch news conference. Briefing participants are:
-- Scott Bolton, Juno principal investigator, Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio
-- Toby Owen, Juno co-investigator, University of Hawaii
-- Jack Connerney, Juno Instrument lead, NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
-- Andy Ingersol, Juno co-investigator, Cal Tech, Pasadena
-- Fran Bagenai, Juno co-investigator, University of Colorado, Boulder
-- Candy Hansen, Juno co-investigator, Planetary Science Institute, Tucson

A news conference will be held at the Kennedy News Center approximately 2.5 hours after launch, and a news release will be issued as soon as Juno's condition is determined. Spokespersons will be available for interviews.

NASA Television Coverage
On Aug. 3, NASA Television's Media and Education Channels will carry the Juno prelaunch news conference live beginning at 1 p.m. On Aug. 5, NASA TV coverage of the launch will begin at 9 a.m. and conclude after spacecraft separation from the Atlas V occurs approximately 53 minutes and 49 seconds after launch. For NASA TV downlink information, schedule information and streaming video, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

Audio only of the prelaunch press conference and the launch coverage will be carried on 321-867-1220/1240/1260/7135. On launch day, mission audio of launch countdown activities, without NASA TV commentary, will be carried on 321-867-7135 starting at 7 a.m. Launch audio also be available on local amateur VHF radio frequency 146.940 MHz heard within Brevard County.

For extensive prelaunch and launch coverage online, visit: http://www.nasa.gov

A prelaunch webcast will be streamed at noon on Aug. 7. Live countdown coverage through NASA's Launch Blog begins at 9 a.m. on Aug. 5. Coverage features live updates as countdown milestones occur, as well as streaming video clips highlighting launch preparations and liftoff. For questions about countdown coverage, contact Jeanne Ryba at 321-867-7824.

To view the webcast and the blog or to learn more about the Juno mission, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/juno
The NASA News Twitter feed will be updated throughout the launch countdown at: http://www.twitter.com/nasa

Recorded Juno status reports and launch updates will be available on the Kennedy media phone line starting Monday, Aug. 1 at 321-867-2525.

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory manages the Juno mission for the principal investigator, Scott Bolton. The Juno mission is part of the New Frontiers Program anaged at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala. Lockheed Martin Space Systems built the spacecraft. Launch management for the mission is the responsibility of NASA's Launch Services Program at the Kennedy.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Jul 28 2011, 11:11 AM
Post #287

Member No.: 627

QUOTE (machi @ Jul 27 2011, 06:08 AM) *
No, you are not. Juno is capable of probing Jupiter's atmosphere hundreds of bars deep (it's significantly more, than Galileo's probe could) and she can reveal fine structure of Jupiter's interior.
This is really amazing!

helvick and machi...

Add me to the very excited list, too! The data JUNO sends back will be priceless.

And Junocam may surprise folks.

Craig

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jul 28 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #288

Member No.: 114

Plus One! I can't wait to see this get off the ground! smile.gif

+Quote Post
peter59
post Jul 28 2011, 04:27 PM
Post #289

Member No.: 299

Juno probe mounted atop its launcher.
http://spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av029/status.html
Attached Image

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html

+Quote Post
Lewis007
post Jul 31 2011, 07:31 AM
Post #290

Member No.: 4772

NASA has released the press kit for the Juno launch.
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/press_kits/JunoLaunch.pdf

ULA - the launch provider - has published its 'mission booklet'
http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/docs/mission...av_juno_mob.pdf

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Aug 3 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #291

Member No.: 184

Congrats to Bjorn whose Voyager mosaic was featured in the Juno press conference a moment ago!

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Aug 3 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #292

Member No.: 424

Does anyone know of a replay site for the press conference?

Several years ago I frequented a site, hosted, if I recall correctly, in Europe, that posted virtually every space exploration press conference. There was something un-memorable about the name, and now it's completely gone from my memory. Does this description jog anyone else's memory? (I realize I'm not giving you much to work with.)

TTT

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Aug 3 2011, 09:04 PM
Post #293

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Aug 3 2011, 09:49 PM
Post #294

Member No.: 424

Thanks James, that's the one, and sure enough, a downloadable file for today's press conference has already been posted.

Does anyone know anything about the people who run this site? They're amazingly dedicated and hard-working.

TTT

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 4 2011, 02:29 PM
Post #295

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (scalbers @ Aug 3 2011, 08:26 PM) *
Congrats to Bjorn whose Voyager mosaic was featured in the Juno press conference a moment ago!

Not only that, his mosaic ended up as a Photojournal image advisory, too! Behold: PIA14412

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Aug 4 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #296

Member No.: 384

These words said by Candy Hansen, Juno co-investigator are worth repeating and remembering:

"There are number of folks that process images as a hobby and we hope to engage that group...we will put our raw images out, and we will invite the public to process that data."

That sounds to me like a PROMISE.

that group = UMSF smile.gif

I think some of us would like to know everything there is to know, about processing JUNOCAM images by 2016.

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
cIclops
post Aug 5 2011, 10:55 AM
Post #297

Member No.: 161

Hopefully the wait won't be that long!

There's an Earth gravity assist planned for 9 October 2013 at 500kms altitude; that would be a great opportunity for a movie if the cam keeps shooting all the way in and out. Likewise a departure movie would be possible if Junocam is switched on soon after launch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 5 2011, 11:48 AM
Post #298

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (cIclops @ Aug 5 2011, 03:55 AM) *
Likewise a departure movie would be possible if Junocam is switched on soon after launch.

First payload checkout is around L+20 days when the Earth is a "pale blue dot" ™ as far as Junocam is concerned.

I gave Emily an infodump about how Junocam works, expected image counts, when we image, etc, so you can look for that soon, I expect.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
JGodbaz
post Aug 5 2011, 12:31 PM
Post #299

Member No.: 4078

I guess JunoCam being less of a scientific priority versus imaging systems on Dawn probably helps; the investigators don't have to worry about being pipped at the post by amateur researchers. It makes sense to use a public outreach instrument for...um... public outreach. Good news for us, anyway.

On the processing side, given that it is a pushbroom system, the processing might be a little bit more involved for those who want to work from the really low-level raw data. I might do some research into processing methods, as it seems like an interesting challenge.

+Quote Post
climber
post Aug 5 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #300

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Aug 5 2011, 01:48 PM) *
First payload checkout is around L+20 days when the Earth is a "pale blue dot" ™ as far as Junocam is concerned.

I gave Emily an infodump about how Junocam works, expected image counts, when we image, etc, so you can look for that soon, I expect.

Thank you Mike,very interesting indeed, and it's been a long time not hearing from you...

--------------------

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.