IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

40 Pages V  « < 35 36 37 38 39 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cape Tribulation, Sol 3744 (6Aug'14) - Sol 4077 (15Jul'15)
atomoid
post May 11 2015, 08:28 PM
Post #541

Group: Members
Member No.: 196

never get tired of the vistas here sol4014, it will be sad to leave this place despite the smectacles to come..
Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post May 18 2015, 01:47 PM
Post #542

Member No.: 353

The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4016.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
algorithm
post May 18 2015, 07:57 PM
Post #543

Member No.: 6783

Well, if this doesn't get the crackpots going, I don't know what will !

Attached Image

It must have crashed, then split apart, leaving the aliens internal organs in a heap just behind that piece of what looks like the charred outer hull!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 18 2015, 08:13 PM
Post #544

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

So fun that an old rover is still finding new and bizarre types of rocks smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
climber
post May 18 2015, 08:35 PM
Post #545

Member No.: 682

I thought it was a lost Curiosity's weel but I then realize we where on the other side of the planet. wheel.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
atomoid
post May 18 2015, 10:11 PM
Post #546

Member No.: 196

now we understand the 'lost-time' between sols 4016-->4020 [below includes pre-abduction sol4014 view]
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 18 2015, 10:27 PM
Post #547

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

This is a reprojection of Jan's sol 4016 panorama. I hope we get a full pan later.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
fredk
post May 20 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #548

Member No.: 152

I don't recall seeing little "shavings" like those visible in the 4023 MIs - I'm curious if the geo folk have any suggestions for what may cause them? Here's a cross-eyed stereo view:
Attached Image

Here's the pancam context (the MI field is just below centre):
http://mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/1/p/4...BJP2509L2M1.JPG
And navcam (upper right):
http://mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/1/n/4...B8P1982R0M1.JPG

+Quote Post
Julius
post May 20 2015, 05:44 PM
Post #549

Member No.: 741

I am grateful that rover images are posted on the Web for the public to see but it's frustrating at the same time to the lack of scientific info as to what the findings are regarding these rocks at this location. Perhaps it reflects the fact that the science community has not made up its mind yet about these findings?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 20 2015, 07:24 PM
Post #550

Administrator

Dude, the pictures just arrived on Earth. We often see them before the scientists do. Have some patience!

Fredk: I agree with you that those "shavings" don't look like something I've seen before. Very odd.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
fredk
post May 20 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #551

QUOTE (Julius @ May 20 2015, 06:44 PM) *
I am grateful that rover images are posted on the Web for the public to see but it's frustrating at the same time to the lack of scientific info as to what the findings are regarding these rocks at this location. Perhaps it reflects the fact that the science community has not made up its mind yet about these findings?

Depends what you mean by "findings". The best place to hear preliminary results and maybe interpretation from the instruments seems to be the monthly PS updates - the next one should be about 2 weeks from now. The occasional press release might also have some info.

But as far as proper results go, the gold standard is publication, and it can take many months for a paper to appear. The results need to be checked and double checked, the multiple authors' various schedules may not overlap, the paper must go through review, etc...

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 20 2015, 08:36 PM
Post #552

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Right - and often the information we get back is confusing and incomplete. Opportunity has lost two of its three original instruments for measuring composition. It can take months for the science team to figure out what they are looking at, even to get a decent hypothesis which can then be tested with further observations. So basically, it takes time to figure it out, as well as all the time necessary to prepare a paper or conference presentation. So be patient and enjoy the riches that the cameras provide, which are highlighted here so often. The rest will come.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Julius
post May 20 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #553

Member No.: 741

Okay dudes got the message..Thanks for the info laugh.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
fredk
post May 21 2015, 03:28 AM
Post #554

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ May 20 2015, 08:24 PM) *
Fredk: I agree with you that those "shavings" don't look like something I've seen before. Very odd.

My guess was that these were the result of brushing, but I'm just not sure what that means - very soft rock?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 21 2015, 03:23 PM
Post #555

Administrator

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ May 20 2015, 01:36 PM) *
...it takes time to figure it out, as well as all the time necessary to prepare a paper or conference presentation. So be patient and enjoy the riches that the cameras provide, which are highlighted here so often. The rest will come.

Related to this conversation (though having to do with a different rover): Just today a paper was published about the Rocknest sand scooping campaign on Curiosity, which began on sol 57, or 934 sols ago. Science results take a lot of time.

--------------------

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 35 36 37 38 39 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st June 2024 - 04:17 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.