5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno Perijove 58, February 3, 2024
mcaplinger
post Jan 4 2024, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

(Started a new thread to avoid cluttering up the PJ57 thread with PJ58 discussion.)

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 4 2024, 06:33 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jan 4 2024, 09:09 AM) *
maybe they meant the area covered in Jupiter-shine? Because it would be fairly complimentary to the PJ57 coverage, getting more of the southern hemisphere coverage compared to the northern hemisphere coverage of PJ57. I'm looking forward to seeing East Kanehekili (-18/24) at visible wavelengths, as an example.

I'll do what I can. There are a whole bunch of constraints. Io goes through the FOV rapidly around 17:50 and we can only command a maximum of four images at fixed cadence before incurring a 30s delay. I can't improve the nightside coverage at the cost of degrading the dayside, the best of which happens around 17:51:30.

I'm surprised that people are getting a lot out of the TDI 2 nightside images. I guess they're better than nothing but I was expecting at least TDI 6 would be required if not more, which means the dayside would be blown out for sure.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
StargazeInWonder
post Jan 4 2024, 07:03 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9140

I guess to put this imagery to a rubber-meets-the-road standard, the question of how much Io is changing over the cadence of 1979-2024 (and into the future at a similar timescale) is a key parameter. If at some level of regional imagery we see a change occur and this is our one opportunity to do pin that down chronologically, that's distinctive value. If at some level of resolution Io is probably pretty much the same in 2045 as in 1979, then any image is as good as any other, and then maybe the jupitershine imagery adds little. And I'm making it sound like the change is a known quantity, but it's much more complex than that, with stochastic nature and unknowns pertaining to Io, to future missions, to its activity, all challenging and exciting. However it shakes out, hats off to those of you playing a part. People who haven't been born yet will study these images and potentially (this is partly up to Io itself) advance the science with them.

FWIW, the massive ground based telescopes now in the works will provide the potential for regular monitoring of Io's visible changes, subject to geometry, and observational time. Just a pinch of observation time, though, would easily surpass the scarcity of spacecraft missions we have had so far.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jan 5 2024, 01:03 AM
Post #4

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

From the PJ57 thread:

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jan 4 2024, 04:06 PM) *
Mike, I am definitely coming around to the idea that if you can get well exposed Jupiter-shine images in the green filter, being able to stack them to improve SNR and getting more of them would be fine. While RED has the best SNR, GREEN has the best balance of SNR and albedo information.

A possible drawback is if the PJ56 problem returns at PJ58. If that happens, red images will be much better. So if possible, it might make sense to also take at least one red-filtered Jupitershine image just in case.

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Jan 5 2024, 03:20 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 8250

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jan 4 2024, 05:03 PM) *
From the PJ57 thread:

A possible drawback is if the PJ56 problem returns at PJ58. If that happens, red images will be much better. So if possible, it might make sense to also take at least one red-filtered Jupitershine image just in case.

NOOOOOO. PJ56 problem is not coming back before PJ112.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 5 2024, 03:45 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jan 4 2024, 05:03 PM) *
A possible drawback is if the PJ56 problem returns at PJ58.

Compare the progression of black offset and noise during PJ56 (a lot) with that in PJ57 (practically none). Even if PJ58 proceeds like PJ56 did (which we hope is unlikely) most of the change would happen after the Io encounter.

We hope.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kymani76
post Jan 5 2024, 11:18 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2461

Attached Image

Map for PJ58 Io flyby from SPK. Ground track covers the distance of +100.000/-100.000 km.

EDIT: fixed night shadow.

+Quote Post
MarcF
post Jan 5 2024, 05:01 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 773

I expect to see some beautiful images of Ra patera, my favorite volcano. Located near the terminator, we should finally have an idea of the topography of this shield volcano. And then, we'll have some incredible views of Loki. I wonder about the topography of this lava lake and especially its surroundings, which looked quite flat in one of Galileo's last images. Fingers crossed.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 9 2024, 12:15 AM
Post #9

My initial cut at PJ58 image timing for Io is:

2024-034T17:32:00, two images, high and low TDI, RGB
2024-034T17:39:00, two images, high and low TDI, RGB
2024-034T17:50:00, four images, first high TDI, three low TDI, RGB
2024-034T17:56:00, two images, high and low TDI, RGB

high TDI will be 6, low TDI will be 2.

All image spacing is 60 second. All compression is lossless. I thought about taking one-band images but due to various constraints I couldn't make it work without compromises.

Feel free to provide feedback. But keep in mind that the FOV of Junocam rapidly slides across Io near closest approach, so if I did something that seems odd, I might have done it intentionally.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kymani76
post Jan 9 2024, 10:00 AM
Post #10

Attached Image

I updated the flyby map with new information above.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 9 2024, 04:49 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (kymani76 @ Jan 9 2024, 02:00 AM) *
I updated the flyby map with new information above.

Thanks. But without seeing where the Junocam FOV is along the ground track, it may be hard to understand why I picked the times I did. Visualizing this on a flat map is tough, as I well know. These times were a product of going back and forth in Cosmographia repeatedly, looking at the evolving FOV coverage.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 9 2024, 06:19 PM
Post #12

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

A pretty decent set of observations. I might replace the second set with an extra image at the front of the third set (so roughly 2024-034T17:49:00), but I'm not sure how that works for you for bandwidth and data volume. The second set doesn't really add much to the coverage or resolution, and wouldn't be useful for something like the Masubi plume. With high TDI at 2024-034T17:49:00, should provide highest resolution coverage of Io. Covers Masubi, Kanehekili, Shamshu, and Janus. or just take the High TDI image in the second set? The main "Kodak moment" is in the first set anyway.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 9 2024, 07:00 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jan 9 2024, 10:19 AM) *
A pretty decent set of observations. I might replace the second set with an extra image at the front of the third set (so roughly 2024-034T17:49:00), but I'm not sure how that works for you for bandwidth and data volume.

I'll look at it. Keep in mind that all of these times are +/- 15s and I can only take four images in a set before incurring an additional delay. I could start the third set earlier but only at the cost of dropping the last image it currently has, which I was reluctant to do. I tend to not value the nightside images that highly, but maybe that's the wrong bias to have.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kymani76
post Jan 10 2024, 08:44 AM
Post #14

Attached Image

I made another visualisation of the flyby, including Jason's suggestion for 17:49:00.
No attempt was made to account for Juno's distance from Io, attitude or FOV.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 10 2024, 05:10 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (kymani76 @ Jan 10 2024, 12:44 AM) *
No attempt was made to account for Juno's distance from Io, attitude or FOV.

Pretty, but the FOV is rather important. 17:49 just doesn't have much of Io in it.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:22 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.