Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

VEX Science Planning
cndwrld
post Mar 9 2007, 02:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1743

Hello-

I wasn't sure how most people would like to see stuff posted. Or if this would interest many people. But in the interests of putting out more information, I created this topic as a place to put information on Venus Express science planning.

If you have any ideas about this, let me know.

Cheers-

Don Merritt

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
cndwrld
post Mar 9 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1743

MTP012 Science Plan

The time span of the MTP012 operations is the following:
START: Orbit 324 (pericenter on 11 March 2007, DOY070)
END: Orbit 351 (pericenter on 07 April 2007, DOY097)

The MSP contains one MTP. One MTP contains 4 Command Periods (CPs) of one week (7 days). In total the MTP covers 28 days of operations.

Science Plan Overview

MTP012 includes the end of mission phase #5, phase # 6 and the beginning of Phase 7. In the first orbits, conditions for the off-pericenter night side observations will be fulfilled. This period provides good conditions for observations of the night side and atmospheric sounding in solar occultation geometry (eclipse season 3). Solar occultation observations will be used to study composition and structure of the atmosphere above the cloud top. Campaigns of cases #2 repeated in several consecutive orbits will be used to study composition and dynamics of deep atmosphere on the night side. Conditions will be also favourable for observations of nightglows to study composition and dynamics of the thermosphere and search for lightning. Limb observations in forward scattering geometry (spacecraft in eclipse) will provide good opportunity to study vertical structure of hazes above the main cloud.

Relatively high downlink rate would allow the experiments to use high resolution operation modes to study small scale features and dynamics.

Thermal mapping of the surface and search for active volcanism will be performed in this phase. Two bi-static sounding experiments are scheduled.

VSOC has been alerted (Peter Jenninskens, personnel communication) that meteor showers are likely to occur on orbits 326, 329, 331 and 338. The meteors are expected to have their peak brightness at about 100-115 km altitude. The most promising wavelength range would be a narrow band at 777 nm, where meteors may generate atomic oxygen emission from the dissociation of CO2. The forbidden line at 577 nm may also be observed in the meteor’s wake. Magnesium emissions at 280 and 285 nm may be also detected on the dayside. One atmosphere-grazing fireball track may have been observed by the Pioneer Venus Orbiter Ultraviolet Spectrometer instrument orbiting Venus in 1979. The satellite measured three correlated spectra during orbit 75 containing a strong NO (C-X) emission at 155-257 nm, which was confined in the Venus atmosphere in a narrow band at least 900 km in length and less than 5 km wide.

The following observations are proposed in this MTP:
• 15 solar occultation measurements (case #6) will be given relatively high priority in order to achieve good latitude coverage. This will cover the themes:
o Cloud layer and haze
o Atmospheric composition
o Atmospheric dynamics
o Atmospheric structure
o Escape processes.

• Four limb observations (case #7), to study vertical structure of haze layers. This will cover the themes:
o Cloud layer and haze
o Atmospheric composition
o Atmospheric dynamics.

• Two bi-static sounding experiments are planned, covering the theme: Surface properties and geology.

• Plasma and magnetic field measurements on the nightside and on the dayside, covering the theme Plasma environment/escape processes.

• 27 cases 2 at apocenter and 21 cases 1 at pericenter are considered, covering basically all themes.

MTP012 Medium Term Planning was completed 22 December 2006. Short term planning has begun, with delivery of files for the upcoming command period from the VEX Science Operations Center at ESTEC (European Science and Technology Center, Noordwijk, The Netherlands) to the flight control team at ESOC (European Space Operations Center, Darmstadt, Germany). All communications with the spacecraft are performed via the facility in Cebreros, Spain (50 Km west of Madrid).

Worth noting is that the flight control team and flight dynamics team at ESOC have performed extremely well in every phase of the mission; if there has been a human-induced error from them, it doesn't come to mind. And the three engineers at the science operations center with whom I work have done an amazing job for being such a small team with such a never ending amount of work. And our TEC department at ESTEC has been unsung heros for getting us better and better tools so we can keep on doing it.

Hope this is useful-

Don Merritt

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- cndwrld   VEX Science Planning   Mar 9 2007, 02:16 PM
- - cndwrld   Science Planning Overview The VEX science plannin...   Mar 9 2007, 02:53 PM
- - ngunn   Excellent. I'll be following with great intere...   Mar 9 2007, 02:54 PM
- - cndwrld   MTP012 Science Plan The time span of the MTP012 o...   Mar 9 2007, 03:08 PM
- - cndwrld   Venus Express Support Of NASA's Messenger Spac...   Mar 15 2007, 09:29 AM
- - Stu   Thanks for sharing all this info with us Don, it...   Mar 15 2007, 10:03 AM
- - cndwrld   No problem, Stu. I'll toss out there whatever ...   Mar 15 2007, 11:25 AM
|- - Stu   QUOTE (cndwrld @ Mar 15 2007, 11:25 AM) I...   Mar 15 2007, 11:35 AM
- - centsworth_II   Even though the details are mostly over my head, I...   Mar 15 2007, 02:47 PM
- - dvandorn   Don, does the science team there *really* believe ...   Mar 15 2007, 03:13 PM
- - cndwrld   I think an awful lot of people are interested in t...   Mar 15 2007, 04:22 PM
|- - centsworth_II   QUOTE (cndwrld @ Mar 15 2007, 12:22 PM) ....   Mar 15 2007, 05:23 PM
|- - 4th rock from the sun   QUOTE (cndwrld @ Mar 15 2007, 04:22 PM) I...   Mar 15 2007, 05:30 PM
- - dvandorn   It's quite interesting to me, Don. I know I c...   Mar 15 2007, 05:31 PM
- - helvick   QUOTE I just don't know how many people are in...   Mar 15 2007, 06:36 PM
- - Rakhir   I appreciate reading these kind of details from th...   Mar 15 2007, 09:21 PM
- - ngunn   It's probably true to say that for every post ...   Mar 16 2007, 10:11 AM
- - cndwrld   VEX Weekly Status At the end of the last Cebreros...   Mar 20 2007, 03:52 PM
- - cndwrld   VEX Science Operations and Planning, 17 - 24 March...   Mar 30 2007, 01:05 PM
- - elakdawalla   Huh. Thanks for the information and heads up on p...   Mar 30 2007, 02:49 PM
- - cndwrld   VEX Virtis Cloud Images At the ESA web site, http...   Apr 3 2007, 03:36 PM
- - cndwrld   Venus Express Status, 25 March - 31 March At the ...   Apr 4 2007, 07:56 AM
- - cndwrld   VEX Planning and Status on 26 April 2007 I haven...   Apr 26 2007, 08:42 AM
- - helvick   Excellent updates Don, much appreciated. This deta...   Apr 26 2007, 10:22 AM
- - cndwrld   >> Is this an unusual approach to a problem ...   Apr 26 2007, 03:54 PM
- - edstrick   Back in the days of chipped flints and ... Early M...   Apr 28 2007, 07:15 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:45 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.