Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn approaches Ceres, From opnav images to first orbit
Mithridates
post Jan 27 2015, 12:49 AM
Post #106

Group: Members
Member No.: 7360

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jan 27 2015, 12:42 AM) *
I'm finding it remarkably difficult to wait for the higher-res images obtained today - they should be very interesting.

That's for sure. These are the first ones that will propel us from Hubbly guesswork into a completely new era of what we know about Ceres.

It's also the most interesting entirely new object of its size and significance since what...Neptune maybe?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jan 27 2015, 01:43 AM
Post #107

Member No.: 15

Will the new opnav images be looking at the same hemisphere as the last set? In other words, will we be seeing the white spot at greater resolution, or the other side?

Don't get me wrong, I don't care which side we get to see. I'm happy to see any of Ceres at ever-increasing resolutions. This will help complete my mind's-eye-view of our solar system, and I can hardly wait.

Of course, the remainder of what I need for that wonderful full visualization of our solar system has to wait until July, at the earliest. So, no matter what, there is always more time to wait... but wonders at the end of the rainbow.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Jan 27 2015, 02:18 AM
Post #108

Member No.: 1828

It will be the same side. i think a more complete rotation is the one planned Feb 12 or so. when we should have ~115 pixels on the disk. can't wait . . . by then the new leaves will start here in houston and spring will be in the air . . .

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 27 2015, 04:19 AM
Post #109

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

I've updated my movies of the pre-orbit observations of Ceres using Celestia (posted above). I had been using an older rotation model for Ceres and had been meaning to fix it, but I could never get the standard PCK file to work for Ceres. I ended up having to edit a PCK NAIF kernel file used for Saturn's moons, and basically broke Pallene, which did work before, in my installation in order to get Ceres to work. I also noticed that there is a difference in the prime meridian used by the IAU and the Dawn team/every other published map. I ended up just going with the Dawn team's meridian, so much easier that way (so I don't have to worry about correcting every map by 170 degrees.

For the curious, here's a zoomed in view of OPNAV1:

Attached Image

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
alphasam
post Jan 27 2015, 05:46 AM
Post #110

Member No.: 6080

http://tucson.com/news/blogs/scientific-be...0cd46de206.html

Umm, is that what I think it is...?

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jan 27 2015, 06:26 AM
Post #111

Member No.: 4270

If what you think it is involves the reflection of foreground ceiling lights, yes.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jan 27 2015, 07:00 AM
Post #112

Member No.: 5221

Just a little too small to read the date on the corner of the screen; would tell us whether that's from last week or this one...

+Quote Post
alphasam
post Jan 27 2015, 07:19 AM
Post #113

Member No.: 6080

Yes, ceiling light reflection, the new "OSIRIS munging".

Pretty sure it's the new ones.

Five members of the science team for NASA’s Dawn mission to Ceres were excited Monday to view the clearest images ever taken of the dwarf planet.

+Quote Post
K-P
post Jan 27 2015, 08:24 AM
Post #114

Member No.: 3919

QUOTE (Mithridates @ Jan 27 2015, 02:49 AM) *
It's also the most interesting entirely new object of its size and significance since what...Neptune maybe?

Well, I would put it on par with Cassini's (and Huygens') coverage of Titan's surface and maybe even Messenger's global view of Mercury, but yes, most interesting "almost totally" uncovered new object.

I would say that even more interesting than the upcoming Pluto/Charon exploration. (sorry if I hurt someone's feelings... rolleyes.gif )

So, what's left after this year? Pallas, of course, and then Eris, Sedna... And yes, the (sub)surface of Europa!

Great era of exploration we are living in.
smile.gif

--------------------
Spamming the Solar System with greetings since 1997!
(New Horizons, Huygens, Opportunity/Spirit, Deep Impact, Dawn, Phoenix, Selene... to name a few) :)

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jan 27 2015, 10:06 AM
Post #115

Member No.: 114

Some details can be seen in those images.

I lowered contrast a bit.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mithridates
post Jan 27 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #116

Member No.: 7360

QUOTE (K-P @ Jan 27 2015, 08:24 AM) *
Well, I would put it on par with Cassini's (and Huygens') coverage of Titan's surface and maybe even Messenger's global view of Mercury, but yes, most interesting "almost totally" uncovered new object.

I would say that even more interesting than the upcoming Pluto/Charon exploration. (sorry if I hurt someone's feelings... rolleyes.gif )

So, what's left after this year? Pallas, of course, and then Eris, Sedna... And yes, the (sub)surface of Europa!

Great era of exploration we are living in.
smile.gif

Plus 24 Themis! Kind of like a smaller Ceres (200 km diameter), covered in ice, and less than a degree off of our orbital plane. Should make at least a flyby en route to somewhere else a fairly easy thing to accomplish if it isn't deemed worthy of a mission of its own.

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Jan 27 2015, 11:32 AM
Post #117

Member No.: 7310

QUOTE (Mithridates @ Jan 27 2015, 01:49 AM) *

I was actually thinking the exact same thing the other day. I've since concluded that it's a bit hard to compare because of at least one icy moon of Saturn who is of a much larger size, namely Titan. The best pictures we had of its surface were made by Hubble due to Titan's opaque atmosphere, and they were of rather poor quality - basically showing Xanadu and not much else. Before Cassini-Huygens got close, it was still believed that a large fraction of Titan's surface could be covered by methane oceans, IIRC.

Still, Titan was very far from being the the sole mission target for Cassini, and it's also "just" a moon - still living with its parent. wink.gif

QUOTE (alphasam @ Jan 27 2015, 06:46 AM) *

Gah, that's kind of a cruel thing to do. They are ruining a part of the element of surprise while still not giving us something much better than what we had last week. tongue.gif

-----

While we wait for the full details of the latest images, here's a handy list for those who haven't seen it already (from here):

• Feb 4, 2015 | OpNav #3 | 148,000 km | 68 pixels | 2.2x Hubble resolution
  • Feb 12, 2015 | Rotation Characterization #1 | 84,000 km | 116 pixels | 3.7x Hubble resolution
  • Feb 20, 2015 | Rotation Characterization #2 | 48,000 km | 226 pixels | 7x Hubble resolution
  • Feb 23, 2015 | Closest Approach | | Begin high-phase Approach
  • Feb 25, 2015 | OpNav #4 | 39,000 km | 264 pixels | 8x Hubble resolution
  • Mar 2, 2015 | OpNav #5 | 50,000 km | 205 pixels | 6.5x Hubble resolution
  • Mar 6, 2015 | Capture| | Capture into orbit
  • Apr 10, 2015 | OpNav #6 | 33,000 km | 300 pixels | 9.5x Hubble resolution
  • Apr 15, 2015 | OpNav #7 | 21,000 km | 470 pixels | 15x Hubble resolution
  • Apr 23, 2015 | Rotation Characterization #3 | 13,000 km | 20x Hubble resolution

--------------------

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Jan 27 2015, 12:31 PM
Post #118

Member No.: 1828

QUOTE (Habukaz @ Jan 27 2015, 05:32 AM) *
-----

While we wait for the full details of the latest images, here's a handy list for those who haven't seen it already (from here):

• Feb 4, 2015 | OpNav #3 | 148,000 km | 68 pixels | 2.2x Hubble resolution
  • Feb 12, 2015 | Rotation Characterization #1 | 84,000 km | 116 pixels | 3.7x Hubble resolution
  • Feb 20, 2015 | Rotation Characterization #2 | 48,000 km | 226 pixels | 7x Hubble resolution
  • Feb 23, 2015 | Closest Approach | | Begin high-phase Approach
  • Feb 25, 2015 | OpNav #4 | 39,000 km | 264 pixels | 8x Hubble resolution
  • Mar 2, 2015 | OpNav #5 | 50,000 km | 205 pixels | 6.5x Hubble resolution
  • Mar 6, 2015 | Capture| | Capture into orbit
  • Apr 10, 2015 | OpNav #6 | 33,000 km | 300 pixels | 9.5x Hubble resolution
  • Apr 15, 2015 | OpNav #7 | 21,000 km | 470 pixels | 15x Hubble resolution
  • Apr 23, 2015 | Rotation Characterization #3 | 13,000 km | 20x Hubble resolution

thanks for posting this. it is useful to note that we get down to about 8x-HST end-of-Feb. then for another month we do a little orbital phasing dance with Ceres to get into the right place to enter mapping orbit (due to the safing event late last year). that means of course we won't get any better resolution again until April. That will give us all of March to chew on 250-pixels of Ceres . . .

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 27 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #119

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

New images are now available:

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/feature_stories/D...DwarfPlanet.asp

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Jan 27 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #120

Member No.: 7310

The latest images have been posted.

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/feature_stories/D...DwarfPlanet.asp

The bright(er) spot is still a mystery, I guess, and some crater candidates look more like craters than ever before.

We are already seeing areas and details on Ceres popping out that had not been seen before. For instance, there are several dark features in the southern hemisphere that might be craters within a region that is darker overall," said Carol Raymond, deputy principal investigator of the Dawn mission at JPL.

EDIT: Actually...when looking at my monitor from a distance while it was showing this animation, I noticed that there are what looks like white patches to the right of the bright spot, in the same hemisphere.

--------------------

+Quote Post

51 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 10:38 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.