21 Pages V  « < 19 20 21  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Friends in Need When Nature Hiccups, Natural Disasters forum
TheAnt
post Oct 30 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 6336

My thought is with you guys, and a hope that you will not be too badly affected.

Yes the storm did get to our news also, in fact it became the head of the prime time news.
So we've seen some images from it here also.

Good luck, all I can say.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bkellysky
post Oct 30 2012, 05:24 PM
Post #302

Member No.: 4103

Checking in via a public wifi as we lost power at home in the enhanced Hurricane Sandy (aka Sandy+).
I'll update my blog as long as I have access...
bkellysky.wordpress.com

+Quote Post
Doc
post Oct 30 2012, 07:11 PM
Post #303

Member No.: 3978

Good luck to all those in Sandy's path. Take care and don't be a reckless hero.

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 31 2012, 12:22 AM
Post #304

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Relieved to hear today that my stepdaughter, who lives in lower Manhattan, is safe & alright.

Best wishes to all affected by this terrible storm.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Nov 1 2012, 08:15 PM
Post #305

Member No.: 453

Finally online again via work. Power, cable still out at home but everybody OK and no other damage. Hope the internet managed without me? wink.gif

Airbag

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 1 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #306

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Only just!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Nov 2 2012, 07:04 PM
Post #307

Member No.: 424

Very glad to hear you're OK. The internet's glad too. laugh.gif

Give my regards to your wife; I have pleasant memories of meeting her at the NYC umsf.com dinner for Doug a few years back.

QUOTE (Airbag @ Nov 1 2012, 03:15 PM) *
Finally online again via work. Power, cable still out at home but everybody OK and no other damage. Hope the internet managed without me? wink.gif

Airbag

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Nov 4 2012, 01:17 AM
Post #308

Member No.: 15

We either have very few UMSF'ers on the U.S. east coast, or a lot of stoic people who rode through Sandy without being too badly affected, or we haven't yet heard from some of our number who have had no power and/or internet access all week.

To all who came through it and all who may be rejoining us soon, good luck and may the multiverse's great deity, Mr. Murphy (he of Murphy's Laws) look kindly on you in these stressful times.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Nov 12 2012, 01:44 AM
Post #309

Member No.: 453

Finally power and internet at home, after almost 13 days without. For sure I would have gone crazy without internet access at work! Amazing how you can get used to a cold house, dark rooms, and limited kitchen facilities. However, now wallowing in the luxury of warmth, lighting, and various modern conveniences again. I still carry a flashlight with me though, that will be a hard habit to break....

Hopefully others affected out here are either lurking again or will be soon. Thank you for your comments above! Rovers, feel free to continue now laugh.gif

Airbag

+Quote Post
climber
post Apr 2 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #310

Member No.: 682

I was (and still am) in Arica Chile when we get a 8.2 earthquake yesterday night at 20.50
People know what to do here specialy regarding tsunami risks so 40.000 people either walked or drove up to the valley.
Not a lot of damages for such a big one.
Sheers to my Chilians friends
--gilles

--------------------

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Dec 17 2014, 01:31 AM
Post #311

Member No.: 5323

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 30 2008, 09:47 AM) *
Ah, ground-dancing ain't so bad... rolleyes.gif

I have been wanting for a long time to upload a movie of 2011 M9 earthquake. I found
just the right one recently, quite by accident, which is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqP-mar25a4

This is probably the most compreheisive record of what it was like in the region up north. In
my area, which is Devon to London equivalent, I think, it was different. It was a lot milder and
the ground actually felt like slowly dancing below me.

It was a typical simple harmonic motion of perhaps 0.5 Hz and lasted for 5 minutes or so. Amplitude
felt like 30cm, and something like that is actually shown in the movie with gaping pavement.

We are currently expecting another big one like this. There is a local saying here which says that
at leats once in your life time you will experience a giant earthquake. My auntie who lives up north
in Sendai, close to the epicentre of this earthquake, has had 3 such experiencies already with her cats.

I have had one, but it may not be the last... P

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 19 20 21
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.