Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Telesto, A blue moon?
ugordan
post Oct 11 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Recently, the October 2005 non-targeted flyby data of this moon hit the PDS. I've been playing with color composites and the result somewhat surprised me. Unlike Prometheus, Pandora and Pan which all seem to have an orange-reddish tint to them, Telesto turns out whitish-blue. I first thought there'a an obvious error somewhere in my calibration pipeline (wouldn't be the first one), but I haven't been changing it recently and it was giving me consistent results for other targets.

The approximately natural color composite turns out distinctly bluish. Furthermore, the stretched color IR-GRN-UV composite is also much more subdued than similar composites of Prometheus/Pandora with similar phase angles. The other two appear much redder in stretched color. This suggests a much gentler drop in reflectance in the short wavelength range than with the other moons, so that's where the visible bluish color came from. The stretched color turns out similar to Calypso, for which CICLOPS released a color composite.

I've also checked the result VIMS gives out and although the spatial resolution is very poor, it too gives a bluish "true color" image. It's as though this moon is covered in very fine, clean icy particles, with very little dust contamination.

Have any previous spectra been published of this trojan moon suggesting the color? A quick google search comes out with nothing.
For illustration, here's the approx. natural color view I got.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
alan
post Nov 5 2006, 03:21 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

Interesting find. Perhaps its color is related to the E-ring which IIRC extends out beyond Dione, although it must be very diffuse by then. I wonder if Helene is the same color.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:32 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.