Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dvd's, Which one ?
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 28 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #16

Guests

Did anyone record (preferably on DVD) these BBC Horizon documentaries?

1. Saturn - lord of the rings
2. Titan - a place like home ?

Excellent documentaries but unavailable via BBC although many people already requested that BBC should make theme-related DVD sets of their Horizon documentaries! dry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jan 3 2006, 06:08 AM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 124

OK, due to everyone's great recommendations, I bought both Mars, Dead or Alive and Welcome to Mars on DVD, should have them by the end of the week....

BTW, has anyone seen the BBC production of Voyage to the Planets and Beyond - I think it was called Space Odyssey in the UK... It was fairly cheap at BestBuy.com ($14.99 US) for the DVD and I would be interested in opinions if it's too corny.

PS-I hope linking to an actual commercial site doesn't break the rules... let me know and I will remove the link if need be.

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 3 2006, 08:10 AM
Post #18

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Space Odyssey was all right, nothing great to be honest. You wont learn anything, but it's got some nice eye candy. at $15 I'd probably get it. There is a sibling program that highlight the missions from which much of the scientific basis for the program came from though.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 3 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #19

Guests

Indeed Doug, the documentaries on Space Odyssey won't learn anything special to passionate unmanned space enthusiasts but are great to watch...
I've bought the DVD for the 60 minutes documentary on it which gives an overview of Unmanned spaceflight missions to the planets...

I have added DVDs on my Mars-literature weblog (lower right portion)
http://mars-literature.skynetblogs.be/

(I can recommend the Beagle 2 DVD)

Best regards,
Philip smile.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 3 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #20

Founder

They DVD'd the Beagle programs from the OU ohmy.gif

DOUG WANT! Not found that anywhere - any pointers?

I cant actually see any 'stuff' on your blog, just lots of images down each side - there's a Beagle 2 Guide it seems ( after CP's book Beagle which I have ) - what on earth's that?

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 3 2006, 09:43 PM
Post #21

Guests

The book entitled ' The Guide to Beagle 2 ' is an excellent softcover book, in fact a technical description of the lander and its instruments, 222 glossy pages, which can still be ordered from Open University !
It was published in December 2003 and has superb color photos on the assembly of the lander and engineers designing and testing all aspect of Beagle 2 ! smile.gif

The weblog is just intended to show the covers of the books & magazines but send me an e-mail or forum-message and I'll be glad to give more infos smile.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 3 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #22

Founder

I think I've managed to find a copy of the guide on Ebay smile.gif

But I dont know they did the DVD's at all ohmy.gif Where on earth can one get them?

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 5 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #23

Guests

BBC 2 Horizon will be about space tourists next Thursday 12th January 2006... set Your VCRs ... euh Hard Disk DVD recorders I meant biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 20 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #24

Guests

Asking once more wink.gif
Did anyone record (preferably on DVD) these BBC "Horizon" documentaries?

2. Titan - a place like home

I'm willing to pay all costs to get a copie on DVD if these are sitting on someone's hard disk

+Quote Post
Borek
post Mar 20 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #25

Group: Members
Member No.: 166

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Mar 20 2006, 07:57 PM) *
Asking once more wink.gif
Did anyone record (preferably on DVD) these BBC "Horizon" documentaries?

2. Titan - a place like home

I'm willing to pay all costs to get a copie on DVD if these are sitting on someone's hard disk

I have both in MPEG 4 format (ie. DivX or XviD). I have downloaded them from mvgroup.org forum. So far I only have seen the Saturn and I was a bit disappointed. If you follow Cassini's (and Huygen's) adventures, there is little new to be found. Also the feature ends with SOI, so nothing about Titan, Enceladus etc. What's nice is to see all these scientist we know only by names in person. Also the documentary manages to get across some of the awe of Saturnian system.

Borek

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 31 2006, 05:59 AM
Post #26

Guests

Meanwhile, NOVA made a new documentary on the 'mysterious' Moon Titan wink.gif

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/titan/

Philip cool.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post May 15 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #27

Guests

Meanwhile spacecraftfilms.com has announced the first DVD-sets on unmanned spaceflight cool.gif
I have contacted Mark of spacecraftfilms and suggested to divide the unmanned DVD-sets according to target/destination of the spacecraft...
So a set on the inner planets Mercury & Venus (Mariner & Magellan), a set on the Gas giants (Pioneer & Voyager) and probably several sets on Mars-exploration, ... ohmy.gif mars.gif ohmy.gif

http://www.spacecraftfilms.com/future.html
smile.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 15 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #28

Founder

I was looking at the price of getting all the early MER live coverage and dumping it to DVD as a small commercial exercise - I wonder how well it would sell.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post May 16 2006, 09:06 AM
Post #29

Guests

QUOTE (djellison @ May 15 2006, 09:11 PM) *
I was looking at the price of getting all the early MER live coverage and dumping it to DVD as a small commercial exercise - I wonder how well it would sell.

Doug

I guess You would have about 30 buyers on this forum ... so the first 50 would sell easily wink.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 16 2006, 09:26 AM
Post #30

Founder

It'd have to be expensive ( it costs quite a lot to get footage from JPL ) - something like £20 a copy. It's a 'autumn' project I think smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 04:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.