+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Sep 25 2015, 07:25 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 7310

Baby mountain-in-a-moat? wink.gif

Attached Image

(notice the difference to the similar-sized crater next to it)

In general, quite a lot of mountainous structures on those plains.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gennady Ionov
post Sep 25 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 7579

QUOTE (Gennady Ionov @ Aug 3 2015, 07:30 PM) *
Another interesting feature of relief: small dimples. I suppose that it is an analogue of the dunes in the desert, caused not by the wind but solar irradiation conditions.
Oriented to the Sun the north side evaporates and on the shady south sides condensation occurs. Thus, the instability of a flat surface develops and slowly creeping dunes to the south (when in the northern hemisphere is summer). Therefore, the perpendicular meridians orientation of formations can be observed.

It looks like the similar dunes seen on Charon. Dunes caused by instability of flat surface due to instability under slanting rays of the sun.
At least Charon dunes definitely can not be caused by wind.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 25 2015, 08:56 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 105

QUOTE (Alan)
new images as the LORRI site

They do have the Additn'l Info as "LORRI rider on P_MPAN_1 scan observation", and there is an button to show by release date, but I don't see any _release_date_ info on the images. Have I missed something?

and a reminder of my NH Charon geomorph image:
https://univ.smugmug.com/New-Horizons-Missi...omorph-v1.0.png

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Sep 25 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 4489

from
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/Pluto-Encounte...;br>10:29:23
a 3d look down the canyon
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Sep 25 2015, 09:07 PM
Post #21

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10795027@N08/21721963241/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Superstring
post Sep 25 2015, 09:38 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1129

Charon looks far less cratered than Callisto, Ceres, Mimas, Tethys, Dione, Rhea, and Iapetus (plus Umbriel, Titania, and Oberon based on lower resolution images).

Perhaps we're looking at a surface age closer to that of Ganymede, Miranda, and Ariel?

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Sep 26 2015, 07:02 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 7273

My attempt at stitching together the Charon mosaic that was uploaded on the raw website today. Tried my hand at colorizing it with the MVIC image taken on July 13. I had to warp the image to align with low resolution + Charon's rotation making that difficult, so color features should be taken with a *huge* grain of salt.

+Quote Post
neo56
post Sep 26 2015, 08:42 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 79

Really nice work Justin !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Sep 26 2015, 04:21 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 7310

With the latest high-resolution imagery down, it really looks like there is significant topography at the north pole (there certainly is on the horizon). Using jccwrt's work above (rotated to make north up(wards)), it's tempting to interpret this part as a mountain range (perhaps encircling the entire northernmost area), entering and leaving the field of view on the right side in this image:

Attached Image

I also found this crater interesting, since it appeared kind of shallow - as if something had happened to its floor:

Attached Image

And of course there is this crater (to the right), which looks completely filled in:

Attached Image

Dome?

Attached Image

Landslides from some of the big cliffs:

Attached Image Attached Image

(look impact-related)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 26 2015, 06:13 PM
Post #26

It seems that Charon has Cerean topography, especially the "flowage" and "slumpage" features.

And my take on Mordor (the Polar Feature) is that it appears to be a caldera/crater.

Ref my "Pluto/Charon" and "Ceres" pages linked below.

What strange little worlds.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Sep 26 2015, 11:37 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (neo56 @ Sep 26 2015, 02:42 AM) *
Really nice work Justin !

Thank you!

QUOTE (Habukaz @ Sep 26 2015, 10:21 AM) *
With the latest high-resolution imagery down, it really looks like there is significant topography at the north pole (there certainly is on the horizon). Using jccwrt's work above (rotated to make north up(wards)), it's tempting to interpret this part as a mountain range (perhaps encircling the entire northernmost area), entering and leaving the field of view on the right side in this image.

It could be a mountain range. My first thought was that it was another large fissure system seen edge on. Of course, at the scale of some of these, there's functionally not much difference! laugh.gif It is interesting that it is "walling in" some of the darker terrain around the north pole - I wonder if it's either creating a cold trap that keeps the north pole in winter darkness for a little longer.

As for the infilled crater, it looks pretty old and degraded, so there's a possibility that it could just be infilled with ejecta from other impacts. That said it's on relatively flat terrain so there might have been some mare-like flow into the crater. Hopefully we'll get another hi-res image to get some context to the eastern rim of that crater.

This crater (directly north of Moat Mountain) looks interesting, could be a potential terrace impact. Looks relatively young, too. Some of the ejecta is covering nearby tectonic features.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 29 2015, 03:30 PM
Post #28

These latest Charon images, five in a montage-able series described as "LORRI rider on C_LEISA_HIRES scan" are a great improvement on the initial Charon images.

When these images hit PDS as verified and calibrated etc they should be better than these initial jpeg'd public offerings, so there is room for improvement.

But with later data transfer from NH, should there be higher resolution images of this series to look forward to? And could there be other images north and south of these to give a montage of the entire hemisphere or was this one track pretty much it?

Still, these images show astounding detail and amazing features on this little world. Take a look:

https://univ.smugmug.com/New-Horizons-Missi...haron/i-wQNMfhT

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Sep 29 2015, 04:16 PM
Post #29

According to machi's table of planned LORRI observations it appears there was a scan across Charon at 170 m/px resolution. As for the C_LEISA_HIRES observation, there were apparently 12 shots planned in this sequence. I'm not sure if that means that this will cover the entire globe of Charon or if there were just multiple images taken to increase SNR like some of the LORRI observations of Pluto. Considering that this is a ride-along observation, I'd guess the latter.

+Quote Post
alan
post Sep 29 2015, 04:20 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 110

There was a mosaic taken at 175,000 km which should cover the entire hemisphere at a resolution 0.87km/px ,similar to the 16 frame mosaic of Pluto posted a couple of weeks ago; an MVIC color image from 76,000 km, resolution 1.5km/px; and a narrow pass from 34,000 km, resolution 0.17km/px, with a concurrent MVIC image at 0.66km/px.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:23 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.