IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Exploring Mt Sharp north of the dunes - Part 2: Beyond Big Sky, Site 50-51, sol 1148-1171, October 29, 2015-November 23, 2015
dvandorn
post Nov 2 2015, 07:35 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 1 2015, 03:40 PM) *
Those white things are interesting. They're just at the limit of what you can see in the JPEG compression so I'm not sure about a "rounded" shape (though I guess at least I agree with you that they're not lath-shaped, more equant). They are very white! Well spotted.

In the sub-frame, the white "clasts" look almost sparkly -- like a granite.

Are we seeing any granitic signatures from this bed, I wonder?

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Nov 2 2015, 10:53 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 7273

The sparkliness of granite mostly comes from light catching flat surfaces on mineral grains. Here the sparkle effect seems to be just because the white clasts are so much brighter than the surrounding rock. Other than these clasts, McLeod looks almost identical to other Washboard rocks that Curiosity has been seeing over the last few months.

I'm almost certain that the MAHLI frame I posted is shows these white clasts in more detail. They're more or less round, which is a characteristic of sediment grains. If they were directly from a coarse-grained igneous rock (on Mars we're more likely to see the basaltic equivalent of granite -- gabbro), the clasts would have a more angular shape. But without more chemical information, I think you'd have a hard time distinguishing them between say, a feldspar grain eroded from gabbro and rounded off by sedimentary transport and a directly-precipitated sedimentary clast like an ooid.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Nov 3 2015, 08:51 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 6853

Mission Update from Ryan Anderson: Sol 1153-1154: Driving Around LINK

The short drive over the weekend went well, putting us in a good position for a longer drive in today’s plan. Before we drive, ChemCam will analyze the targets “Tampico”, “LaValle”, and “Muddy” to determine if their apparent variations in brightness in the Navcam images correspond to a variation in chemistry. Mastcam will take documentation images of the ChemCam targets, plus a 13x3 mosaic of the resistant outcrop “East Glacier” and its surroundings. After the drive, which will take us past and around “East Glacier” and the dark material behind it, we will do our standard post-drive imaging. This week is a bit tricky because Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) is in (intentional) Safe Mode for most of the week, meaning Curiosity can’t send as much data back to Earth. So, it’s possible that the post-drive imaging that we usually use to target ChemCam won’t come down in time to choose targets on Wednesday. If that happens, we’ll have to make do with the Hazcam images. On Sol 1154, we are planning a ChemCam passive sky observation, plus Navcam movies to watch for clouds and dust devils. Mastcam will do a routine “clast survey” observation, plus a 27x2 mosaic to document the geology from our new location, and a MAHLI image of the ground underneath the rover.

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Nov 3 2015, 02:17 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 353

Looking in the drive direction.
Navcam L view on Sol 1151.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 3 2015, 02:46 PM
Post #20

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Nice view, thanks, Jan. Here is a rough reprojection of it, only approximately oriented north-up, to show the area in roughly map-like form. The valley with big drifts on the right is the area marked on my map as Meeteetse, not Cut Bank Valley. I still don't know for sure that I have the name in the right place for that.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Nov 3 2015, 05:55 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 6783

From Sol1151, a bit too close to the edge for me !

Attached Image

Edit: Just looked at Jans' pan above, seems I might be a bit of a Wuss (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wuss)_

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Nov 4 2015, 08:34 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 353

The Navcam L view on Sol 1153.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Nov 4 2015, 11:48 AM
Post #23

Sol 1151: RMI-ChemCam target 'Ennis'? 4 overlapping frames roughly stitched using MS ICE. No additional processing
Attached Image

Flickr Original Size 1095 x 2024 pixels LINK
Imgur mirror LINK

Edit: Another take on the 1153 L-NavCam (full size with added compass points)

Flickr Original (3243 x 1361) LINK
Imgur mirror LINK

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 4 2015, 01:27 PM
Post #24

Nce views - here is Jan's image in circular form. (should be rotated a bit counter-clockwise)

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 4 2015, 03:14 PM
Post #25

This is what the Hazcams show for location-finding purposes.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Nov 5 2015, 07:41 AM
Post #26

Curiosity Mission Update from Ryan Anderson - Sol 1155-1156: Limited Downlink LINK
Today’s planning was a bit challenging because we only got a few Navcam images down to show us possible science targets, which limited our choices for ChemCam observations. We are all looking forward to Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) waking up from the intentional “safe mode” status that it has been in this week! Still, even with limited data we were able to put together a good plan.
On Sol 1155, ChemCam will observe the targets “Thermopolis” and “Pinckney” to get measurements of the typical bedrock and typical soil or sand in the area, plus a long-distance image of one of the sand dunes that we are approaching. ChemCam will also do a focus test observation that was originally planned for last weekend, but which did not get uplinked because of a problem with the Deep Space Network. Mastcam will take documentation images of the two ChemCam targets and the distant sand dune, plus a 13x3 mosaic of a nearby outcrop. After that, the rover will drive and take standard post-drive images.
On Sol 1156, we have a pretty light day. There are no geology observations, but several environmental and atmospheric measurements, including a couple Mastcam taus to measure the amount of dust in the atmosphere, some DAN observations, and a Navcam movie to look for clouds. MARDI also has a post-drive image of the ground under the rover...

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Nov 6 2015, 02:04 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 196

some stereo takes on sections of the sol1153 navcam pan
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
MarsInMyLifetime
post Nov 6 2015, 03:21 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 6108

QUOTE (atomoid @ Nov 5 2015, 08:04 PM) *
some stereo takes on sections of the sol1153 navcam

The cross-eyed image seems to present a ring like a small exhumed crater just past the pit. Outstanding change of elevations here!

--------------------
--
Don

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 6 2015, 01:50 PM
Post #29

A drive on sol 1155 - this reprojected Hazcam view suggests to me a drive of about 20 m to the west. (EDIT - no, nearly 40 m SW)

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Herobrine
post Nov 6 2015, 07:01 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 7408

Sols 1150 - 1155 travels
Attached Image
135 right NAVCAM thumbnails

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:58 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.