Reply to this topicStart new topic
Golden Trowel Award
djellison
post Jun 6 2005, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Need some help here - I'm getting a little brass plaque engraved to go on a piece of wood with the golden trowel award, but not sure what to put on it...

I was thinking something like
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jun 6 2005, 01:34 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 239

I think that a cultural reality check might be in order, just to ensure that the damyankees don't think 'getting stuck in' is somehow rude or abusive! After all, we are burdened by strangely dissimilar brands of English at times (quoth the Scotsman!).

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 6 2005, 02:10 PM
Post #3

Founder

Good point - I'm sure an american forum member will comment if it's a bit of a faux pas of some sort.

I once made an american friend most confused when i used the phrase "he's gone to get some fags" - the meaning of course being that he'd gone to purchase cigarettes smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
maycm
post Jun 6 2005, 02:19 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 289

I believe we should come up with something that encompasses as many of the achievements thus far as we can, and not just focus on one event and one rover.

How about something like

Keeping the Rovers imaging, brushing, grinding, and driving, driving, driving.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 6 2005, 02:37 PM
Post #5

Founder

Hey - these things cost by the letter smile.gif

I think just stating the 1000 sols mark says everything that needs to be said really wink.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
maycm
post Jun 6 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #6

That's fine.

If we want to go the extra mile (as the rovers surely have) go down to your local Home Depot (Dollar store?) and get an actual trowel, spray paint it with gold coloured paint, and mount it on the plaque.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 6 2005, 03:07 PM
Post #7

Founder

QUOTE (maycm @ Jun 6 2005, 02:55 PM)
go down to your local Home Depot (Dollar store?) and get an actual trowel, spray paint it with gold coloured paint, and mount it on the plaque.

I already have smile.gif Except being in the UK we dont have Home Depot, but I found a great trowel at Sainsburys that is currently drying off it's last coat of gold smile.gif The handle is a black rubber, so paint would look rubbish, probably flake off, and generally ruin things, so I pullled that off, and will put it back on to the 'shovel' bit, before figuring out how to mount it all.

Pics to follow this week

Doug

+Quote Post
maycm
post Jun 6 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #8

Sorry Doug - didn't realise you were a Brit. As an ex-pat living in Canada, I tend to forget what a wealth of experienced people live in blighty. I come from Leicester and they have a great space centre there. That's not where you are based is it?

To re-edit the previous post...

"If we want to go the extra mile (as the rovers surely have) go down to your local Homebase (₤1 store) and get an actual trowel, spray paint it with gold coloured paint, and mount it on the plaque"

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 6 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #9

Founder

Leicester eh....

I live in Aylestone, and I'm currently at work, about 200 yards from Leicester Station.

I worked at the Space Centre here briefly as a pseudo placement/intern type student thing - but left to become a medical animator smile.gif

I'm yet to mock the thing up properly, but once I've put the handle back on, I'll get out some card and size things up, but it might be a bit like this

Looking at that, I might be better going for a wider, shorter plaque bit on the backing wood.

Doug

+Quote Post
RedSky
post Jun 6 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 218

As someone from the states... here's my 2 cents on the phrasing, since it was brought up in the first few replys...

Here. to persevere through a difficult time through to the end (i.e., not quitting)... we would say: "they stuck it out".... and just to be confusing, we'd also say "they stuck with it" or "they stuck in there". I guess the thing that sounds a bit strange to our ears is the inclusion of the word "got"... since here we don't say someone "got stuck in". (Edited... now that I think of it... "they stuck it out" must similarly seem a bit rude to your ears, too).

Its just one of those things. Like when we hear of someone going to hospital or something in future.... here, we'd always say "to the hospital" and "in the future".

Anyway, I suppose if it stated "they stuck it out"... there's sort of a double meaning / play on words, since by sticking it out... they got Oppertunity out from being stuck.

John

(Edited... another phrase here along these lines is "they dug in"... meaning to roll up one's sleeves, and start on a difficult task with determination. Thus, it could even say "they dug in, and stuck it out".. But as mancm mentioned above, maybe that's way too specific on getting Oppy unstuck, and not general enough.)

+Quote Post
maycm
post Jun 6 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #11

So.....She got stuck in, then they got stuck in, and now she can get stuck in again.

+Quote Post
RedSky
post Jun 6 2005, 05:14 PM
Post #12

Oh, just one more thing....

Why it is dated July 2005... since I assume the 1000 sols is the Spirit+Oppy total count. That will occur in a few days, so shouldn't it be June 2005?

John

+Quote Post
odave
post Jun 6 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 209

QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 6 2005, 10:10 AM)
I once made an american friend most confused when i used the phrase "he's gone to get some fags" - the meaning of course being that he'd gone to purchase cigarettes smile.gif

...which is almost as bad as making a mistake with a pencil, then asking to borrow someone's rubber ohmy.gif

I agree with RedSky - "they dug in" is probably a better phrase for U.S. ears

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 6 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #14

Founder

"When Opportunity got stuck, they dug in"

hmm - doesnt quite sound right - I need a 'hook' of some sort if you know what I mean - something just to tie it together, but make the relavance of the trowel apparant smile.gif

All suggestions welcome...it needs something, not sure what.

The July date was a typo - I mean June obviously. ohmy.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
RedSky
post Jun 6 2005, 09:41 PM
Post #15

How about...

"When Opportunity got stuck, they dug in, and dug it out"

Of course that's not really the mechanics of it... but it does tie in with the trowel metaphor. It also states the action and the happy outcome, whereas without the final "dug it out"... it leaves the end of the story uncertain.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:30 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.