A somewhat less avanced civilization also managed to produce "a happy face" :

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/3_11_99_happy/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_DonPMitchell_*
post Sep 23 2006, 01:09 PM
Post #17

Guests

There was a pretty good general discussion about crank theories on the Moon-Hoax thread recently. Even though crank theories offer incredibly complex and unlikely explainations, they allow believers to feel superior to real scientists. To border-line personalities, it's like smoking crack, they crave that kind of exagerated self validation.

+Quote Post
MarkL
post Sep 23 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #18

Group: Members
Member No.: 981

These images are truly great, and honestly have stoked my interest in Cydonia. The face believers are so far on the fringe that they don't deserve to be discussed any longer. Why perpetuate their silliness?

These massifs/mesas really do have intricate features and as was pointed out above, the face does look like a face even close up. The nearby skull looks very much like a skull. If you look at the side of the "face" mesa (not the main image but the other side), you can see the whole side of the hill seems to have slid down several hundred feet, as though it was a piece of ice. You can see where it fit neatly in higher up the hill. This is quite amazing to think about. Why would it have happened? You can also see what looks like an overhang with a shadow under it towards the lower 1/3 so this face seems to have fallen as a single unit as the MarsExpress site mentions. There is some type of loose or slippery interface at work to cause large masses to move like that. I'd like to see a closer look at this region by MRO once they take the lenscap off!

BTW, the analglyphs are in a separate page which you access from the right pane on the main article web page.

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Sep 24 2006, 09:32 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (angel1801 @ Sep 23 2006, 05:19 AM) *
I just did a look of Hoagland's website and I still don't see any reply to the latest MEX images of the Cydonia area. It appears we have the proof at last that all the features in the Cydonia area are truly natural afterall. I think the clincher is the fact that the images came from a German camera on an ESA mission. Hoagland has been accusing NASA of a coverup, but can he say the same for ESA?

BTW: The Cydonia images are the best images of the region I've ever seen!

I think Hoaxland could actually make a sincere claim about the ESA being even
more tight-lipped about releasing spacecraft data than NASA.

cool.gif

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Sep 26 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 430

Today's APOD has a rather impressive image of Cydonia:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060926.html

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Oct 23 2006, 12:51 PM
Post #21

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Cool... smile.gif

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/SEMINCO7BTE_0.html

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 23 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (ustrax @ Oct 23 2006, 02:51 PM) *

Yes, very cool indeed smile.gif
Seen this way, it reminds me of Mount Kailash in Tibet. It is a sacred Mountain nobody was ever allowed to climb and People/Pilgrins only walk the loop; a little bit like in this video.
I'd love to go there smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:32 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.