Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
UMSF space history photo of the month
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 1 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #91

Guests

This month's photo shows a mockup engineering model of the US Surveyor lunar lander spacecraft.
Surveyor 1 was the first of the series and made the first soft landing on 2nd June 1966 (if You considered the February 1966 landing of the Soviet Luna 9 a hard landing wink.gif )
The Surveyor 1 had a mass of 995 kg at launch and about 295 kg at lunar landing. The 665 kg Thiokol retro-motor took most of the mass. After it ignited, the spacecraft used a radar altimeter Doppler velocity-sensing (RADVS) system to provide data for vehicle control once the solid motor had been ejected. Surveyor 1 dropped onto the surface just 15 km off target near the crater Flamsteed. The lander was photographed on the surface by Lunar Orbiter 3 in 1967.
Surveyor 3 landed in April 1967 and ws visited by the Apollo 12 in November 1969.
The 1040 kg Surveyor 7 was launched as a dedicated scientific mission, ending the series by soft landing on the Moon in January 1968. The 4 successful Surveyors ( 1 - 3 - 5 - 6 ) had satisfied Apollo requirements in the Moon's equatorial zone and the rest is history ...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 6 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #92

Guests

Surveyor photos continued this month but this time I'll use the Roman numerals in vogue at the time for designations:
While we’re used on seeing high resolution photos of today’s spacecraft’ parts, it’s great to see the same kind of images of older spacecraft. Here’s an example of the footpad of the Surveyor V lunar spacecraft showing the magnet assembly on footpad 2 of the lander.
These footpad magnetic assemblies were attached to footpad 2 of Surveyors V, VI , VII and on footpad 3 of Surveyor VII.. The purpose of the magnet tests was to determine differences in amount of magnetic material in Maria and in the Highlands.
The last of the Surveyors was a dedicated scientific mission and in addition to the magnets on footpads 2 & 3, Surveyor VII had two rectangular horseshoe magnets embedded side by side in the back of the surface sampler door.

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Dec 6 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #93

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

Here's a photo of the Surveyor ground test article in the Smithsonian's possession. This is how the article was exhibited when the NASM was housed in the Arts and Industries Building in July 1971, when I was a teenage tour guide!

(Click for enlarged view)

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 2 2009, 09:51 AM
Post #94

Guests

This artist impression by David Hardy ( who had an exposition at the 2008 IAC in Glasgow ) show Galileo's fly by of Jupiter's moon Io. The whole image looks a bit like a seasons greetings card so fitting for this time of the year...
The 2300 kg (900 kg propellant) Galileo spacecraft was launched from the cargo bay of Shuttle Atlantis in October 1989 during STS-39 mission. By December 1995, the spacecraft arrived in the Jovian system and was in the news during the "Millennium flyby" of the giant gas planet as Cassini-Huygens flew by... NASA engineers decided to send Galileo into Jupiter's atmosphere in order to avoid contamination caused by a crash on one of the Jovian moons. The mission ended into the giant planet on 21st September 2003.
Galileo was the first dual-spin planetary spacecraft...

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 3 2009, 05:27 PM
Post #95

Guests

In an effort to "upgrade" this " UMSF photo of the month " topic I would like to share some NASA images for which I don't have any information. Normally old NASA photos on hard KODAK paper have purple color text printed on the back, except some huh.gif
Does anyone have a clue what these engineers are testing (Photo was taken in 1965):

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 3 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #96

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I don't know what it is - but it

1 - Looks painfull
2 - Looks like it's designed for a small payload fairing - a sounding rocket of some sort?

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Feb 3 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #97

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

The Elevation and Azimuth dials in the background make me think that this could be at a ground tracking station.

The copper loops at the top of the device make this look a bit like a receiver/transmitter for a dish antenna.

Maybe.

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 3 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #98

Founder

Ahh - an LNB of some sort (at least, that's what it's called on a Sky TV dish)

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 3 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #99

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

It's obviously the NOMAD probe being built...

Attached Image

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 3 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 530

What are the 35's on their badges?

I love the table-- beat to heck with NASA scrawled on it.

I also have to say an open logbook, sliderule, and chunk of stryofoam with discrete components in it is sooo cool.

+Quote Post
lyford
post Feb 3 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #101

Member No.: 124

Boy, clean rooms sure have changed over the years! smile.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 3 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #102

Founder

From experience of both - I can tell you that a clean room for space-destined instruments is far FAR cleaner and the procedures and attire for entering HUGELY more involved and thorough that any surgical theatre.

+Quote Post
lyford
post Feb 3 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #103

Member No.: 124

Well, none of us germ bags would past planetary protection muster, as well, I am sure.

While I have never been so lucky as to be let in "behind the glass" in a spacecraft room, I have been under the knife. I am grateful for the advances of surgical cleanliness, pale as they may when compared to Mission Category IV.

And ditto loving the N A S A scrawled in grease pen (?) on the table.

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Feb 7 2009, 01:30 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 1004

Not sure this is the best thread for it, but does anybody have higher resolution versions of these "New Frontiers" perspective missions images?

VISE

and Comet Sample return?

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 28 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #105

Guests

For March 2009 I have chosen a satellite which was launched exactly 50 years ago on 28 FEB 1959: Discoverer 1
I'm searching a good color photo of this satellite huh.gif
Here's the return capsule ... ... ... and complete satellite (any color images?)

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:12 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.