IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Beyond Lewis and Clark Gap, Sol 4482- (September 2, 2016-)
marsophile
post May 5 2017, 04:55 PM
Post #271

Group: Members
Member No.: 4338

It's unlikely to be ice now, but there may have been ice there sometime in the past. Note the potential remnant of a melt area to the west of the feature.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Caso
post May 6 2017, 12:27 AM
Post #272

Member No.: 8121

My very first post.

I am wondering. Why there is no talk of going upstream, west, of Perseverance Valley, for a bit.

If I were there, I'd check out that wash - upper stream bed source first very carefully, before committing myself to going over a thousand foot edge.

From what I can tell by the most basic Google Mars, the upper stream bed starts at a very small crater no more than a couple 100m west of the edge.

Add that new crater towards SW, and those bright white ring craters further on. A football field away or two all of them.

It just seems like there is not going to be an inspection of the headwaters, before going over the falls.

Been here every day, since 2009. Just now speaking up. This is the best website ever!

. . . . . . . Caso

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
serpens
post May 6 2017, 12:33 AM
Post #273

Member No.: 4605

Opportunity has accumulated a decades worth of wavelength / albedo correlations encompassing sedimentary deposits, dust and Endeavour's Noachian deposits. I suspect that they have a pretty good idea as to the composition of the Winnemucca bright area. Given the environment we can be certain that it is not CO2 or water ice.

+Quote Post
David Caso
post May 6 2017, 12:36 AM
Post #274

Member No.: 8121

My very first post.

I am wondering. Why there is no talk of going upstream, west, of Perseverance Valley, for a bit.

If I were there, I'd check out that wash - upper stream bed source, first very carefully, before committing myself to going over a thousand foot edge.

From what I can tell by the most basic Google Mars, the upper stream bed starts at a very small crater no more than a couple 100m west of the edge.

Add that new crater towards SW, and those bright white ring craters further on. A couple football field away or three all of them.

It just seems like there is not going to be an inspection of the headwaters, before going over the falls.

Been here every day, since 2009. Just now speaking up. This is the best website ever!

. . . . . . . Caso
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
marsophile
post May 6 2017, 02:43 AM
Post #275

Member No.: 4338

The TPS report also says this:

Nicknamed Winnemucca, the MER scientists considered sending the rover to check it out. But Perseverance Valley is the objective and winter is coming. Instead, the scientists are examining Winnemucca with ground imagery, remote sensing, and an orbital mineralogical detector.

So we can at least hope for some additional remote data on this interesting feature.

+Quote Post
fredk
post May 6 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #276

Member No.: 152

More Phobos transits on 4720 and 4721. These are easier to see in the public jpegs because there's a dimmer internal reflection of the sun that isn't clipped:
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post May 6 2017, 06:03 PM
Post #277

Member No.: 353

The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4720-4721.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 6 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #278

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

"My very first post.

I am wondering. Why there is no talk of going upstream, west, of Perseverance Valley, for a bit. "

Hi David - the little valley is thought to be very old, certainly if it was formed by water. So the real headwaters, if there were any on the surface, would have been buried by the 'Burns Formation' sandstones (as we saw in Victoria crater and all through those plains), and if not then certainly buried under the modern sand dunes (tsk - I mean ripples) which we see all over the plains west of the current position. And there might not have been headwaters as such anyway, the water could have flowed out of an aquifer where the crater wall cut through it, or it could have been fed by melting snow. So, probably nothing to see. Anyway, it seems they are eager to get into the valley after doing some stereo mapping.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 6 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #279

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Jan's full panorama in circular form. Those linear rows of little stones are intriguing.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 7 2017, 05:56 AM
Post #280

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (jvandriel @ May 6 2017, 11:03 AM) *
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4720-4721.

Attached Image

These images are from my first solo shift as ECam Uplink lead on Opportunity. Sequences p1961, p1962 and p1963 were lovingly hand crafted.....I even dropped the center 3 frames a few degrees from the usual drive direction 5x1 pointing to get a little more valley in there.

I can't even begin to put into words how it feels to go from founding this place 13 years ago, to working at JPL 7 years ago, to starting ECAM on MSL last year, and now on Opportunity this weeks.

It's one hell of a journey, in many many ways

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 7 2017, 06:08 AM
Post #281

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Indeed it has been. Superb work, Doug. smile.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
charborob
post May 8 2017, 10:01 AM
Post #282

Member No.: 3908

Sol 4723 Lpancam view:

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post May 8 2017, 06:47 PM
Post #283

Member No.: 353

The Pancam L2 view on Sol 4722-4723.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Sean
post May 15 2017, 06:27 PM
Post #284

Member No.: 7837

MER Sol 4730 NL

Quick & dirty hand stitch with extended sky and some wobbly exposure seam repair.

--------------------

+Quote Post
charborob
post May 16 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #285

Member No.: 3908

Sol 4731 Lpancam:

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:46 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.