Reply to this topicStart new topic
Soviet Luna Missions
Phil Stooke
post Sep 26 2006, 06:14 PM
Post #91

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Oddly enough I have considered that. But unfortunately I want to do more than anyone can do in a lifetime, and I don't know if that one will get done. My next plan is Venus and Mars...

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 27 2006, 01:44 AM
Post #92

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Need an extra writer for some utility work? I'm free after Sept 2007 once my master's degree is done...still gonna be in writing mode after my thesis is complete.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Sep 27 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #93

Member No.: 174

Phil... absolutely INSIST on final galley proofs.

My brother had an article published in the book in Solar Power Satellites, edited by Dr. Peter Glaser (inventor of the SPS idea), published (I think) by Elsevier. He sent his editor a "contingency copy" labled "do not publish", just in case some catastrophy prevented him from making the submission deadline.

He then submitted the final copy, on time, with extensive improvement and additions to some parts (a month's work).

They didn't send galley proofs. Said they weren't needed... (where nothing can go worng, Worng, WORNG!)

They published the WRONG VERSION

The CHOPPED THE TITLE HEADERS OFF ALL HIS GRAPHS AND FIGURES, and didn't include them in the captions.

He's still screaming.. years later. <almost>

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 27 2006, 01:19 PM
Post #94

Good point, ed... and thanks everyone for your support.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 27 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #95

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

I hope that the Luna 16 and 24 panoramas are in there. Don't give me the little "It landed on the night side" and "It didn't have a camera" arguments. Seeing what you have pulled out of the Surveyor images, you should be able to find your way around this pretty well. biggrin.gif

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, there are rumored to be some scans from Luna 16 in which a few vague features can be seen, probably in earthshine. But I have never seen these, and my source, one of the Russian scientists, was not reliable (not in the sense that he was lying, but in the sense that he said that he was pretty sure the scans he was talking about were from Luna 16, but he wasn't sure, and had no idea whether those scans, if they do indeed exist, might be today).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 27 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #96

Don Mitchell also reported that information about the Luna 16 image. I would love to get my hands on the Luna 16 image data - with modern methods we UMSF types could perform miracles with it. But whether we could ever find them ... who can say? I've been invited to write a paper for "Russian Cosmonautics" and I might have to use it to promote the historical value of finding these things...

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 27 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #97

Did you have any luck digging up Luna-20 imagery? I have some, but it my scans are of the same images as Don Mitchell's. I am hoping there is a more complete pan out there somewhere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Sep 28 2006, 09:28 AM
Post #98

Member No.: 174

Didn't one of the Luna sample return missions land hard and damage it's sampling arm, but continued to work on the lunar surface before the batteries ran down or something? Did that one get any images?.. #18 or #20 or so?... One of the three <?> that tried to get samples in the highlands south of Crisium?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 28 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #99

Lunas 15, 16, 18 and 20 carried twin cameras mounted on either side of the hinged sampling mechanism, to provide a stereo view of the sampling area. Each camera viewed a strip extending from the sampling area to the horizon on its side of the sampler. By combining the two you could get a full pan.
Alas - 15 crashed, 16 landed at night (and its lights failed), 18 crashed... but 20 did return images. I have several, including a tiny fragment of a pre-sampling image, and two views after sampling, as well as both horizon fragments.

After that the drill was redesigned - being out on a hinged arm it couldn't apply enough pressure to work effectively. The new drill was bolted to the side of the vehicle. Its extra weight meant the camera had to be removed. Also the old drill could swing sideways a bit to avoid a rock if needed, hence the value of a camera to look for hazards, but it wasn't needed with this fixed drill. Luna 23 landed hard and couldn't drill... but there was no camera. Luna 24 worked, but no camera.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_DonPMitchell_*
post Sep 28 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #100

Guests

I was told by Arnold Selivanov that Luna-16 returned images with a few bright objects visible. Unlike the Venus/Mars missions, the Lunar images were transmitted as an analog video signal, and I seriuosly doubt that those tapes could be found or read today.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 29 2006, 10:38 AM
Post #101

QUOTE (DonPMitchell @ Sep 28 2006, 02:35 PM) *
I was told by Arnold Selivanov that Luna-16 returned images with a few bright objects visible. Unlike the Venus/Mars missions, the Lunar images were transmitted as an analog video signal, and I seriuosly doubt that those tapes could be found or read today.

Yes, but it may at least be printed somewhere. I know I found one of my soviet images in a journal from the academy of sciences in Kyrgyzstan! There are lots of little obscure sources, so my hopes are that they are somewhere. The quality might not be good, but it would nice to have for history's sake.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_DonPMitchell_*
post Sep 29 2006, 02:27 PM
Post #102

Guests

My guess is they were not published, but film recordings were made and are in someone's drawer at RNII KP, scratched up and gathering dust.

+Quote Post
karolp
post Oct 20 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #103

Member No.: 744

Hi,

I recently encountered a Polish space encyclopedia titled "Copernicus, Astronomy, Astronautics" which contained a colour picture of Earth above Moon's horizon from Zond spacecraft, similar to the one recently reprocessed here. But what really caught my attention was information on Luna 15 spacecraft, which coincided with Apollo 11 landing on the Moon:

Luna 15 in Wiki

It states apolune of Luna 15 was 110 km, similar to that of the orbital module of Apollo 11 - so was there any collision hazard issue there? I was also wondering, could it actually be sighted by astronauts on the ground? And if not, did any other astronauts during other Apollo missions actually observe artifical satellites circling the Moon at that time?

Regards,

Karol P.

Edit:

The Polish Wikipedia entry:

Lunokhod in Polish Wiki

states that a launcher carrying a Lunokhod even before Lunokhod 1, designated Lunokhod 201, crashed soon after lift off on Februray 19, 1969 indicating an abvious attempt by the Soviets to place a rover on the Moon before the American manned mission. So was it really a theme of interference with Apollo and stealing the publicity even though their manned Lunar program collapsed?

--------------------

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post Oct 23 2007, 04:05 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ May 15 2006, 10:49 PM) *
Interestingly, the Astronautix.com page has a picture of... ...landing bag tests!

And we have a movieclip of the test:

http://paranoid.dechengst.nl/movies/Soviet...0bag%20test.wmv (1.1 MB)

--------------------
PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h ;

+Quote Post
slava
post Nov 5 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #105

Member No.: 3950

Hello:) From Ural with cosmic love, special 4 us, who has not forgotten and esteems the Russian astronautics:

http://pq.vp.video.l.google.com/videodownl...documentary.mp4

about Marsokhod

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:20 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.