Reply to this topicStart new topic
Fiat Music!
nprev
post Apr 26 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #1

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

After Ustrax posted a link to the outstanding 1979 by the Smashing Pumpkins over in the Pioneer thread, it seems appropriate to start a thread for our favorite tunes. This one is by Sarah Bareilles, who may just be the next Roberta Flack or Carly Simon....nice sound, nice lyrics, not trivial.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Apr 26 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Mostly U2, Kaiser Chiefs, Seether, The Bravery, The Killers, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Gogol Bordello and a few other myriad of junk on my iPod.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Apr 26 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 1241

...but the best 'space related' tune/video is the 60 second spot that Sony aired during the 2003 Super Bowl.

(Sony also test-aired it for one day in one market around Thanksgiving 2002 and were inundated with requests to buy the song)

Space tourism had just started with Dennis Tito. Then Lance Bass was publicly toying with the idea of plunking
down $20 million for a ride to the ISS with the Russians.

Well, judge for yourself; the singer is Alana Davis and the song is an updated version of the Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young classic.

'Carry On" (iTunes has it for a buck)

This is the only place on the web I could find the video....

http://www.slate.com/?id=2074094

cheers,

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 26 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Only place I could find it, and sorry for the anime video.

I've Been Waiting for Tomorrow (All of My Life) by The The...a song many of us late Baby Boomers can relate to...listen for the muted rocket launches and fake radio transmissions.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Apr 26 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1345

Put the needle on the record,
put the needle on the record,
when the drum beats go like this...

Pump Up the Volume by MARRS

[Quiz: how many spacecraft missions can you identify from the video?]

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 26 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #6

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Okay, you asked for it...

(The "whooshing" noise you just heard was Stu's credibility flying out of the nearest window... can't be helped, love the track, and in the vid Sheila B looks like Col Wilma Deering from 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century'... oh, ok, just me then...!)

"Spacer" - Sheila B Devotion (and yes, those are the members of Chic in the vid...)

... and rather less, um, well, you know...

"The Tide Is Turning" - Roger Waters Genius...

"Sleeping Satellite" - Tasmin Archer Listen to the words guys...

"Stones In The Road" - Mary Chapin Carpenter.

... and current fave, "Human (Martha Jones)"

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 27 2008, 09:43 AM
Post #7

Merciless Robot

Well, Stu, I was gonna go ahead & shoot my credibility out of a cannon by posting something from my all-time favorite band, The Tubes c. late '70s, but can't find anything suitable for general audiences even on YouTube... rolleyes.gif (Yep; if I ever had any doubts that I need therapy, they're all gone now.)

Your stuff is good!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Apr 27 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1638

Sleeping Satellite - one of my all time favorites! I remember first hearing it on the Xmas '92 Top of the Pops TV show on my then-new NICAM digital stereo VCR (quite a novel thing back then). It's a shame YouTube doesn't support stereo sound... I don't listen to much music these days, but I do very much like the voice of Hayley Westenra. No, I'm not a classical music snob; to prove it, I quite liked this astrophotography video. wink.gif

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 27 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #9

Merciless Robot

QUOTE (Juramike @ Apr 26 2008, 03:35 PM) *
Pump Up the Volume by MARRS

[Quiz: how many spacecraft missions can you identify from the video?]

Frenetic...ubercool!!!!

Re the quiz, let's see: Both Voyagers, one of the Lunokods, Pioneer Venus, Mariner 9, three of the original Mercury flights, Pioneer 9(?), and what looked like Orbiting Solar Observatory (OSO) 7. I'm sure that's not even half, though; amazing video!

EDIT: Well, hell, I had to look at it again, of course. Make that five of the original Mercury flights, Buzz Aldrin suited up for Apollo 11, a traverse during Apollo 15 (Dave Worden?), and one of the Vikings approaching Mars, along with some Soviet MSF footage I can't identify.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 27 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #10

The Poet Dude

Just a couple more...

"Whenever I Fall" - Crowded House

"Moorlough Shore" - Caroline LaVelle

"Forget The Few" - Caroline LaVelle

... and for all you Star Wars kids, a classic. If you don't smile when this tune starts, well, the Dark Side has already claimed you... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Apr 27 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 279

What - no Spacelab by Kraftwerk? Surely that's a (disco) natural!

Andy

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 27 2008, 08:14 PM
Post #12

Merciless Robot

Disco Star Wars?!?! Hate to say it, but in 1979 I would've been one of the first to jump into an Empire Tai fighter to kill it (but my tastes have matured since then.) tongue.gif

And, in case there's any doubt at all that I'm an old fart, here's a nice little live piece by Steely Dan: My Old School.

(Hell, you gotta dig the doo-wop girls anyhow...rrrooowwww!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 27 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #13

Merciless Robot

QUOTE (AndyG @ Apr 27 2008, 12:12 PM) *
What - no Spacelab by Kraftwerk? Surely that's a (disco) natural!

Andy

Great!!!

Wow, had no idea Kraftwerk was still happening...love their stuff in the late '70s!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 27 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #14

The Poet Dude

QUOTE (nprev @ Apr 27 2008, 09:14 PM) *
Disco Star Wars?!?! Hate to say it, but in 1979 I would've been one of the first to jump into an Empire Tai fighter to kill it (but my tastes have matured since then.) tongue.gif

Awwwwww..... MECO... Star Wars... 1977... I was 12 and devouring everything even remotely related to SW. Remember listening to that theme on Radio Luxembourg, over a radio hidden under my pillow when I should have been sleeping, and wondering when I'd actually get to see the film itself...

(cue Hovis theme...) tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 27 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #15

Merciless Robot

My favorite band around then was the Dead Kennedys (leavened by The Tubes), so my head was in a very different place. Guess I'm proud to say that I was the first kid in my high school to be suspended for wearing a 'Disco Sucks' T-shirt...

Hell of it is, now I actually like disco. Suppose I'd've liked it in my teens if I had the faintest conception of how to dance & meet women... rolleyes.gif...pretty hard to find a girl that wants to dance to this (turn up the volume!)

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:36 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.