7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Pluto images discussed
Julius
post Feb 7 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 741

I wouldnt be surprised if Pluto has geysers like Triton.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Feb 7 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #77

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Feb 7 2010, 08:19 AM) *
Charon and Pluto are tidally locked.

But how long ago did that happen?

Could there still be residual subsurface heat from past friction? Maybe we are detecting the Pluto version of Hotei Arcus?

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Feb 7 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 4270

With as close as Pluto and Charon are, I would presume that tidal locking happened not long after Charon's formation.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 7 2010, 08:06 PM
Post #79

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Re residual tidal energy dissipation: That's a damn good question, and I wondered about that myself. This is very much unexplored territory, though. I don't think that we have a very good understanding yet of the thermodynamic behavior of "cryo-icy" bodies like Pluto. Bluntly speaking, this world is extremely freaking cold, and the critical points for a wide variety of materials are rather closely clustered around the expected variations in ambient temperature.

We may find that dynamism in terms of geological activity is in fact a very relative function in the context of a given world's environment. It may take far less energy to induce global changes on a body of any random composition with numerous caveats re tidal situation & solar heating levels then we've assumed. If true, this is unexpected & quite interesting.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Feb 7 2010, 09:54 PM
Post #80

Member No.: 279

QUOTE (hendric @ Feb 7 2010, 05:44 AM) *
...the brighter locations cool down first and get more frost first.

All things being equal, oughtn't dark areas cool faster than bright ones?

Andy

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 7 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #81

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (AndyG @ Feb 7 2010, 10:54 PM) *
All things being equal, oughtn't dark areas cool faster than bright ones?

Darker areas absorb more sunlight.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Feb 8 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 4350

I guess the mass displaced by the seasonal changes will be negligible compared with the mass of Pluto. If it wasn't, though, it could be a source of stress despite the tidal lock.

+Quote Post
Mixer
post Feb 8 2010, 02:46 AM
Post #83

Member No.: 4794

Has anybody got a link to listen to the audio of the telecon after the fact? I've been through the links but can't seem to find an archive?

+Quote Post
hendric
post Feb 8 2010, 03:34 AM
Post #84

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Where is the sub-Charon point on the map? My guess is that prehistoric volatiles ejected from Charon hit Pluto and caused that point to be whiter than the rest, with the heavier complex compounds with color getting left behind. My bet is that Charon is small enough that its surface ices can escape to Pluto.

Hmmm...I hadn't thought of the way they pirouette around each other. Maybe the real gathering point for the ices on Pluto would be the part of the planet leading the orbit. (where is that location on the map?)

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Feb 8 2010, 04:03 AM
Post #85

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Anti-Charon hemisphere...

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
imipak
post Feb 8 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 617

QUOTE (ugordan @ Feb 7 2010, 09:59 PM) *

Am I right to think Pluto's orbit crosses the borders of multiple sun-centred concentric zones, analagous to the habitability zone for liquid water, where many phase-space curves cluster in a fairly narrow temperature range? (Phase-spaces for what, though? Presumably the surface is covered in tholins and similar fancy hydro-carbons, with some high-albedo ices?)

Hendric's post #70 above makes me wonder whether the Iapetus albedo dichotomy and the tantalising hints about Pluto could be due to a phenomena similar to "albedo flip feedback". (NB, that's a term from terrestial climatology, a banned topic, so I'm not even going to describe it: GIYF. But it seems similar to the Iapetus story.)

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Feb 8 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 279

QUOTE (ugordan @ Feb 7 2010, 09:59 PM) *

Well, not during the three+ days of darkness. The dark areas must shed heat much faster than the light areas during that spell...

Without much/any atmosphere, dawn must result in dark/very cold areas versus light/somewhat warmer areas.

??

Andy

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 9 2010, 12:19 AM
Post #88

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

All these comments certainly illuminate the potential complexity of Pluto; clearly, we need some close observations to correlate any theoretical mechanisms with reality.

5.5 more years... smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
tasp
post Feb 9 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #89

Member No.: 162

Heating of the surface will certainly be a complex topic (if 'heating' is the right word for discussing objects colder than liquid nitrogen). I have noted around here, that despite the biting winter cold, the ground remains essentially unfrozen beneath the snow drifts, and yet exposed soil is frozen solid to at least 3 feet. So to the texture and 'fluff' if you will on Pluto will factor into the penetration of the cold, or rather, the 'shallowness' of the heat (if any) dissipating from the Plutonian core. I have no idea what the 'R' values of methane snow vs. block methane ice is (or any other likely surface deposits) but the surface colors and the surface textures there will be sigificant variables. Earthly glaciers seem to compactify the snow into ice at relatively shallow depths, but the low grav on Pluto might allow even very slowly accumulating 'snows' to achieve considerable depth (and 'R' value) to occur. But then you would have something potentially quite interesting if the bottom layer flashed to vapor . . .

I am picturing almost ethereal geysers wafting from gossamer drifts, or dunes. The Tritonian analogy might be quite apt.

+Quote Post
remcook
post Feb 9 2010, 07:40 AM
Post #90

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

"Well, not during the three+ days of darkness. The dark areas must shed heat much faster than the light areas during that spell..."

The heat is shed at different wavelengths (infrared). Only when it's 'darker' in the infrared will it shed heat faster.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:18 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.