28 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Sol 90+, Extended mission
jmjawors
post Aug 26 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 1376

Or just force refresh (shift+refresh button).

--------------------
- Matt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Reckless
post Aug 26 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 217

Thank you Elkgrovedan and Matt, my cache is now clear and new banner is nicely in place also thank you Asto0 for the poster and via Doug for the banner
Roy smile.gif

+Quote Post
post Aug 27 2008, 02:00 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 667

Look who got mentioned in a tweet from Phoenix.

Phoenix followers at Unmannedspaceflight.com do wonderful things with my images, here's their latest thread: http://tinyurl.com/6bgy48

about 3 hours ago from web

+Quote Post
climber
post Aug 27 2008, 06:57 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 26 2008, 11:28 PM) *
Mars24 says that Sol 98 is the first day with an actual sun-set - so we get a funky week of partial sunsets smile.gif

Will the sharpness of the SSI enough to show some details on the horizon (if any) ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
peter59
post Aug 27 2008, 10:03 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 299

Mark Lemmon's Phoenix SSI raw images directory:
Sol 091: Hold sample (restricted sols). Remote sensing and continued Stone Soup documentation.
Sol 092: Drop sample. Load plate test; sunrise & remote sensing

Drop sample, but where ?

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html

+Quote Post
post Aug 27 2008, 12:51 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (peter59 @ Aug 27 2008, 03:03 AM) *
Drop sample, but where ?

That would be the Golden Goose sample from Stone Soup trench, going to the third of four MECA Wet Chemistry Labs.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Aug 27 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 321

It sounds like Stone Soup is relatively ice free and that it wouldn't take long, therefore, for any ice in the sample to sublimate away.

I've got to say, the feeling of tense urgency I had about getting an actual ice sample into TEGA before the end of the mission is verging on resignation that it's not going to happen. I would trade a million sunset photos for completion of the half-dozen things that Phoenix actually went to Mars to do.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Aug 27 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (JRehling @ Aug 27 2008, 09:36 AM) *
It sounds like Stone Soup is relatively ice free and that it wouldn't take long, therefore, for any ice in the sample to sublimate away....

That sample is going into MECA, so they are not looking for an ice sample.

As far as getting an ice sample into TEGA goes, I am sure that no one wants to do that more than the mission scientists. I wonder how their plans to do that are coming along? There may only be one more oven that opens fully (unless, hopefully, all the ovens on the side of #0 open well). I was a little surprised to see them use oven 7 (perhaps the next-to-last fully opening oven) for an ice-free sample.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Aug 27 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 530

Long shadows may actually help them in the quest to get an icy sample. They were speculating that sunlight made the adhesion to the scoop worse.

+Quote Post
post Aug 27 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 4244

AFAIK, the sunlight DID make the regolith clumpiness worse. The idea is that the ice softend in the sun & caused it to stick together. Aslo the scoop is dark, absorbing solar energy, warming it up slightly, thus making the ice rich regolith contained within to clump, as the ice rehardened.

The idea f perhaps scooping some samples in the half light of the polar midnight twilight (as the sun will be setting 'properly' from this Saturday onwards) sounds much better.

Delivering ice rich samples to TEGA should be easier as it should be more of a fine granular mix, rather than the stodgy stuff that has proven so difficult to load.

The minus side of course, with proper night time arriving, well deep twilight (even on Sol 124 the final sol of the current extension, the Sun will only dip to just over four degrees below the horizon at midnight), power will become a big issue.

Will each active period every Sol have to be reduced in duration to allow more time for recharging batteries?

Andrew Brown.

--------------------
"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before". Linda Morabito on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.

+Quote Post
Tman
post Aug 27 2008, 09:59 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 186

Is there an official Phoenix (horizon) mosaic that has included degrees details of the orientation? Didn't find any so far. But they are orientated each with a particular main-direction.

I've tried to find the spot of the sunrise on sol 90. According to Mars24 the elevation was 1.3° and azimuth 11.8°. I used not the full res. mosaic, so I had to resize the sunrise image to find a match at the calculated position (based on the fact of where I fit North in the image).

Here my guess: (1.3MB) http://www.greuti.ch/phoenix/sunrisepano_sm_17106.jpg

--------------------

+Quote Post
post Aug 27 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (3488 @ Aug 27 2008, 12:36 PM) *
Will each active period every Sol have to be reduced in duration to allow more time for recharging batteries?

Way back in the Planetary Society Weblog: Phoenix sol 76 update: Digging at Neverland [...]:

Mark Lemmon tells me that as of sol 84 the team is going to "rein in our appetites for 'night' observations," presumably due to the decreasing amount of power available at night due to the lowering Sun.

Not that imaging takes so very much power -- as compared to the likes of TEGA baking or arm digging -- but maybe imaging is part of a general curtailment of nighttime activites.

+Quote Post
hortonheardawho
post Aug 28 2008, 02:12 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 799

+Quote Post
Stu
post Aug 28 2008, 05:43 AM
Post #29

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Couldn't resist animating this sequence...

Attached Image

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tman
post Aug 28 2008, 10:12 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 186

Managed to download the 60MB fullres of PeterPan.

860KB http://www.greuti.ch/phoenix/sunrise90.gif

Btw. this one was used for the sunrise image.

Edited

--------------------

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:44 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.