IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

77 Pages V  « < 39 40 41 42 43 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Curiosity Lands Safely in Gale Crater, Landing and Commissioning Activity Period 1A, sols 0-8
Art Martin
post Aug 9 2012, 04:56 AM
Post #601

Group: Members
Member No.: 2455

Here's my attempt at 3D.

Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MarsCraft
post Aug 9 2012, 04:57 AM
Post #602

Member No.: 5260

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Aug 9 2012, 12:46 AM) *
I remember Bradbury on some of the coverage, but CBS ran four different coverage periods, for the far and near encounters on both Mariners 6 and 7. I won't swear that Bradbury was on the final installment. (I mean, hey, it was 43 years ago, after all...)

-the other Doug

Wow, for a minute there, it seemed like yesterday to me, but you seem to remember a lot more specifics than I did. My 43 year yesterday is fuzzier than yours, congrats! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Aug 9 2012, 04:58 AM
Post #603

Member No.: 3988

And a Polar. smile.gif

I think we are going to need a MSL Mast icon... pancam.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 9 2012, 05:04 AM
Post #604

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

That's the one I was waiting for smile.gif

This thing is a BEAST.

--------------------
My blog - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Aug 9 2012, 05:09 AM
Post #605

Member No.: 1700

Emily, there's a pic of you standing alongside this truck. Or, is that something only in my imagination?

+Quote Post
Pando
post Aug 9 2012, 05:09 AM
Post #606

The Insider

Member No.: 73

The holes in the wheels spell out JPL in Morse code! biggrin.gif Whoever thought of that, it's just awesome.

+Quote Post
Eutectic
post Aug 9 2012, 05:11 AM
Post #607

Member No.: 5860

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Aug 8 2012, 11:30 PM) *
And on an historical note, how many of us who sat around our television sets watching the CBS News live coverage of the close approach of Mariner 7 as it flew by Mars, on August 5, 1969, guessed that 43 years and a day later we'd be watching Curiosity being lowered gently to the ground on a rope?

smile.gif

-the other Doug

Back in 1969 I would not have guessed that a Curiosity-class rover would require over four decades to happen. And I would not have guessed the delivery system. While I don't remember television coverage of Mariner 7, I do remember the pictures of frost-lined craters, chaotic terrain, and pedestal craters, all new and mysterious. A very good summary of the Mariner series with particular emphasis on Mariners 6 and 7 may be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFUPTtk_wRM

+Quote Post
Stellingwerff
post Aug 9 2012, 05:15 AM
Post #608

Member No.: 6493

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 9 2012, 06:51 AM) *
As I've done with past missions, I'm planning to produce some web pages that will help me and you browse these data sets better. I do this through manipulating the source html of the web pages in Excel, a process that would no doubt cause all the real programmers here to cackle with derision. Anyway, I'm wondering what form these pages should take that would be most useful for people.

I was planning on doing something similar, although hopefully more robust. (Those html sources a bit of a mess, >90% white-space!)
Does anybody know if the RESTfull interface behind http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ supports any form of listing? Anybody having JPL webmasters in their contactlist/network?

Greetings,
Ludo.

Ps. Great to see such an interesting forum. I ended up here through Stu's blog, you guys are really close to the fire. Thanks for your brilliant work in outreach!

+Quote Post
MarsCraft
post Aug 9 2012, 05:15 AM
Post #609

Pando, That is cool about the morse code! You are right... awesome. Great catch!

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 9 2012, 12:51 AM) *
As I've done with past missions, I'm planning to produce some web pages that will help me and you browse these data sets better. I do this through manipulating the source html of the web pages in Excel, a process that would no doubt cause all the real programmers here to cackle with derision. Anyway, I'm wondering what form these pages should take that would be most useful for people.

As a start, here's an Excel file containing URLs and timestamps of all MARDI frames downlinked to date, including the 18 full res ones.
(Note: change the extension from .zip to .xlsx in order to open)

I guess my version of MS Office/Excel is too old... could not open the file. Tried the extension change on both the zipped and unzipped versions, did get folders and greyed out files. Eh... I'll be updating everything soon.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 9 2012, 05:20 AM
Post #610

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

.xlsx is the Office 2007 version extension.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
walfy
post Aug 9 2012, 05:23 AM
Post #611

Member No.: 5161

Holy cow, this puts my marriage, my sleep, work, all in jeopardy. laugh.gif The images are big and crisp, and already a deluge! Here's my take on that beautiful mast-cam shadow with part of Mt. Sharp.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
MarsCraft
post Aug 9 2012, 05:25 AM
Post #612

I totally understand. And, the 3D's are neat to see. I don't have a pair of Anaglyph glasses, but I am using the inside cover of Jim Bell's book, 'MARS 3-D', it was a nice Christmas present that now seems to keep on giving.

QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 9 2012, 12:20 AM) *
.xlsx is the Office 2007 version extension.

Thanks, that explains it. I've just been getting back from lengthy projects in the deep woods.

+Quote Post
Art Martin
post Aug 9 2012, 05:27 AM
Post #613

Member No.: 2455

Ok, added another frame to this 3D. Not perfect but this is fun.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Keatah
post Aug 9 2012, 05:29 AM
Post #614

Member No.: 4206

QUOTE (Pando @ Aug 9 2012, 05:09 AM) *
The holes in the wheels spell out JPL in Morse code! biggrin.gif Whoever thought of that, it's just awesome.

Morse Code seems to be a fad that's slowly catching on. In external WesternDigital disk drives, like the MyBook series for example, the air vents are Morse Coded.

But here, the holes are also part of the visual odometry system. The software can count the marks as the rover progresses through a traverse. And if the marks don't correspond to x amount of wheel rotation, then there is slippage. This is just one of the many ways to help prevent dig-ins which could end the mobile part of the mission.

Though of course, with wheels that big I can just about imagine the rover floating through any sand trap!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 9 2012, 05:32 AM
Post #615

Administrator

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Keatah @ Aug 8 2012, 09:29 PM) *
Though of course, with wheels that big I can just about imagine the rover floating through any sand trap!

Surface ground pressure for Curiosity is about the same as for Spirit and Opportunity.

+Quote Post

77 Pages V  « < 39 40 41 42 43 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2019 - 12:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.