A Strange New Mission...., Going to the moon...theocracy style
tedstryk
post Apr 25 2005, 04:38 AM
Post #1

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...di_satellite_dc

Apparently they plan to send an Islamic lunar-sighting probe!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Apr 25 2005, 05:00 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 190

Sooo....have they heard of moon phase calendars? Last I heard the orbit of the moon was constrained to sub-meter accuracy. rolleyes.gif Sigh, what happened to you muslim world? You used to be the world leader in astronomy, chemistry, physics.... I guess that's what rampant religious fundamentalism does to science and rational inquiry. sad, really.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 28 2005, 11:29 AM
Post #3

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

QUOTE (deglr6328 @ Apr 25 2005, 12:00 AM)
Sooo....have they heard of moon phase calendars? Last I heard the orbit of the moon was constrained to sub-meter accuracy. rolleyes.gif  Sigh, what happened to you muslim world? You used to be the world leader in astronomy, chemistry, physics.... I guess that's what rampant religious fundamentalism does to science and rational inquiry. sad, really.

Yup, that's how religion works... if the book says you have to *see* it, you can't just go look in some calendar. Especially if you mix religion and paranoia - the calendar was undoubtedly published by infidels and might be a hideous lie. It's just like the food rules, the clothing rules - locked in for ever.

(signed) a proud infidel

(AKA Phil)

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Apr 28 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 103

I was an expat in Saudi Arabia in the early-mid 1980's. The holy month of Ramadan began a day earlier one year than it was supposed to (I think that was 1984). A cleric claimed he saw the new moon - a day earlier than it should have been visible according to the almanacs, and in fact several hours *before* astronomical new moon occurred.

So, we expats woke up one morning to find out that the fasting and other changes (like different office hours) had begun a day before everyone was prepared for them. I assume that the faithful who had gone to the mosques for the pre-dawn prayers got the word early, so they had a chance to gorge before sun-up and the day of fasting began.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:02 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.