13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Iapetus Far-Encounter between March 25 and April 18 2006
scalbers
post May 20 2006, 03:52 PM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 184

Well Decepticon it could be useful, depending on where the imaging is done. I'll have to look at the animation again in the office, though I recall it seemed to mostly cover familiar territory. You might consider that on my map there are a variety of resolutions used depending on location. I know I had used images from 1.3millon km and farther though much of that territory has since been superseded by closer images. Clearly if you're in some of the blank areas any resolution would be helpful. So we might have check in more detail to more fully answer your question.

One fun thing I've been developing in my software is an option allowing me to overlay an image automatically only in those areas where the resolution (coupled with spacecraft zenith angle) represents an improvement. While other factors (such as phase angle, etc.) should also be considered it's interesting to see where a new image gets pulled in.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TritonAntares
post May 22 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #182

Member No.: 516

Hi some 'colorful' news from Iapetus,
here a nice pic-pair from the JPL-site:

Monochrome image:
Date: 2006-04-08
Distance: 866.000 km
Resolution: 5 km/pxl

Color image:
Date: 2006-04-09
Distance: 692.000 km
Resolution: 4 km/pxl

Bye.

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post May 23 2006, 01:28 AM
Post #183

Guests

Lovely piece of work. (And don't forget that good color images of Iapetus are scientifically important, since the dark material extending onto the trailing side of Iapetus seems to be distinctly less reddish than that on the leading side, supporting the new theory that the shape of the dark and light regions has been modified by the effects of warming by sunlight.)

+Quote Post
scalbers
post May 23 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #184

Member No.: 184

Very interesting to learn more about the pattern of colors on Iapetus. I wonder if this image is corrected to look like an RGB image would (i.e. "near-true" color) or should be categorized as false color since it is taken with the UV, G, and IR filters? Curious that CR maybe looks a bit yellower than in some of the other color releases.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 23 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #185

Member No.: 523

I'd venture to say the image looks so funny, compared to previous "true" color and false color images is because they used the IR3 filter in place of the IR1 usually used for stretched, "true-like" color (IR1-GRN-UV3). I had similar results pop up using the PDS data from the New Years flyby.
Attached Image

IR1-GRN-UV3, "natural-looking" color.

Attached Image

IR3-GRN-UV3, stretched/false color.

My guess on the true color of the Iapetus' dark stuff would be something like the first image above, but a less saturated shade of brown. The color differences across CR would be even less discernible in a RGB view, probably looking very monotone and dull.

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:05 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.