IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  « < 13 14 15  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Beyond Lewis and Clark Gap, Sol 4482- (September 2, 2016-)
climber
post Yesterday, 05:02 PM
Post #211

Group: Members
Member No.: 682

I understand now why the original route goes (also) near the fresh crater, steepless route.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Today, 12:57 AM
Post #212

Group: Members
Member No.: 3988

QUOTE (Floyd @ Mar 27 2017, 09:22 AM) *
Opportunity's solar panels look like wings of a squirrel suit, but do you think they will be any good for base jumping?

Opportunity and Spirit's solar panel wing shape has always reminded me of the wings of a B-2 Stealth bomber. I wouldn't try base jumping to try it out though....I heard somewhere awhile back that because of it's stereo vision based autonomy, You can send a command to tell it to drive off a cliff and Oppy will detect the cliff and stop or ignore the command all together. It will try and find away around it and if it can't, will stop and wait for further instructions. If autonav was disabled though, could be possible I suppose? Paolo or Doug?

Of coarse I'm not suggesting anything...

+Quote Post
djellison
post Today, 02:32 AM
Post #213

Administrator

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Yup - you can set tilt limits (that would get triggered early off a cliff) - every drive gets those. If AutoNav is on, it would see something like that as a hazard and stop - depending on what parameters you gave it.

I think this was simply a blind drive to the edge of the previous NavCam mesh though. That's what usually gets you the most bang per buck (meters per Whr)

D

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 13 14 15
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2017 - 02:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.