Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mercury Flyby 2
scalbers
post Oct 19 2008, 04:59 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 184

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 6 2008, 07:59 PM) *
This is a rough fit of the inbound coverage to Steve's map, to give an idea of the locations of features. I took IanR's image (above) and projected it to make the terminator a straight line, then overlaid it on Steve's map and fiddled with the scales until there was a reasonable match between features in the radar images and these new navigation images. There are about 10 or 12 matches between radar and messenger, so I think it's roughly correct. I emphasize roughly though, as the distortions to fit this to the map are very ad hoc.

Following up on this placement, here is how a new test version of my map shows the Flyby 2 coverage. It's interesting how the previous radar coverage matches the Messenger images, such as in the multi-ringed crater near the upper left limb of the approach crescent image.

Attached Image

Steve
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Oct 20 2008, 01:18 AM
Post #122

Member No.: 114

That looks great!

Can't wait to see final product! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
charborob
post Oct 22 2008, 01:40 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 3908

A new image from flyby 2 on the Messenger website.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Oct 25 2008, 06:01 PM
Post #124

Here's the full resolution post Decepticon...

http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/sos/sos.html#MERCURY

Also shown here at slightly lower resolution as an attachment:

Attached Image

Steve

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 25 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #125

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Here's Steve's new map in polar equidistant azimuthal projection. North:

Attached Image

and South:

Attached Image

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 26 2008, 01:32 AM
Post #126

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Beautiful...and distinctly alien. This is not the Moon's bigger brother.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Oct 26 2008, 02:50 PM
Post #127

Phil's north polar projection nicely illustrates the rays emanating from that crater at a high northern latitude. Looks like in both polar regions we see (mostly from radar) some craters where ice is suspected.

I might be able to expand the usage of a Mariner 10 south polar region image in the map. However there are apparently other high resolution Mariner 10 images near the south pole that could be added. An example would be if I can find an image that looks similar to this link below without the labels (and projected from a spacecraft point of view).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...alia_region.jpg

Here is one such image mosaic that may work even if it's a bit contrasty looking:

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA03101

The Chao-Meng Fu (very close to the south pole) and Bernini craters region would be the most interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chao_Meng-Fu_(crater)

So perhaps with these and other images if anyone can point to any I can improve the south polar appearance.

Steve

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Oct 30 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #128

Member No.: 557

Latest news from MESSENGER.

More of Mercury

The pictures, graphs, and accompaning caption stories from the new conference yesterday:

Science results from NASA conference

Edit - Some more stuff:

Diverse color

Close up color

Exospheric magnesium

Solar wind interaction

Exosphere comparison

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 30 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #129

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

The lack of a hemispherical dichotomy is interesting, though not surprising since they are likely to be the result of random events, the biggest survivable impacts. Particularly interesting to me, though not mentioned, is the small number of large basins. A few more might appear in the areas of high sun or near-limb imaging, or the small gaps still remaining, but it looks now as if Caloris is the only big basin. The Moon has quite a few roughly Caloris-sized basins (within a factor of 2 diameter, I mean) on a smaller surface.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Nov 8 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #130

It's proving to be interesting to navigate the Mariner South Polar mosaic (middle link two posts up) in a consistent way with the other imagery. The location of Bach from the Mariner 10 basemap (and USGS Gazeteer) at latitude -68.5 S appears to be inconsistent with the position of the south polar crater Chao-Meng Fu in the map from the top link. This map has Bach straddling the -70 S line. My next step is to try and match the Mariner SP mosaic with the -68.5 S location of Bach. I'll be curious to see if the South Pole with this solution remains inside Chao-Meng Fu. Perhaps the Wikipedia position of this crater (87.3 S, 132 W) may be a good reference point as well.

In Phil's polar projection one can see the circular feature in the underlying radar data that looks like it may in fact be Chao-Meng Fu. A cursory glance suggests that the location seems consistent with the narration above, and with the suggestion that the South Pole may lie barely outside the rim of this crater.

The south pole mosaic looks to be able to improve the resolution of my map south of around 55 S latitude, or maybe a bit further north.

Steve

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Nov 12 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #131

Member No.: 624

I was doing a major house cleaning yesterday and came across my book "Atlas of Mercury" (NASA SP423) which I bought at the JPL bookstore on my only visit there on my Honeymoon in 1980. I have no use for it and it's in impeccable shape.

Anyone want it let me know. No charge. Preferences to Canadian residences to avoid cross border issues. I also have that huge Lunar Orbiter Photographic Atlas I no longer really need.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 12 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #132

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

Wow, I have both of those, but they hold way to much nostalgic value for me to ever part with them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Nov 15 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #133

This version of the map has slightly adjusted navigation of the Messenger images. It also has the Mariner 10 south polar mosaic included up to about 45S. Chao-Meng Fu fits nicely at the Wikipedia page location with the south pole lying just outside its rim. The similar looking crater on the radar data remains just on the other side of the south pole.

Attached Image

Full res version at http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/sos/sos.html#MERCURY

That's the latest,

Steve

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Nov 18 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #134

Guests

http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/gallery/scienc...mp;image_id=274

MESSENGER team publishes a new image - Raphael crater!

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 20 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #135

Administrator

Member No.: 454

USGS announced some new crater names for Mercury and this interesting item:

The theme for montes on Mercury has been amended to "Word for "hot" in various languages."

I'm working on placing the new names on Steve's map, then on the flyby pic. At first glance, I think we are mostly talking about names on the inbound crescent, but that might be wrong. EDIT: I was wrong. They're mostly on the outbound view from flyby 1.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:51 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.