Post #136

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

And here's a map of the new names. --E
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
peter59
post Apr 15 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #137

Group: Members
Member No.: 299

Raw images available.
http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/messenger/msgrmds_1001/
Attached Image

I wish you a pleasant evening with beautiful pictures.

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Apr 15 2009, 08:38 PM
Post #138

Member No.: 523

Thanks for the heads-up, Peter. This is sweet.
Here's the calibrated version of 4 MESSENGER single-frame-global-color views of Mercury so far:

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 16 2009, 01:20 AM
Post #139

Administrator

Yes, Peter, thanks for the heads up! And awesome images, Gordan.

Hmm. Anybody have any idea what the difference between the three volumes is? There's one called MDIS, one called msgrmds_1001, and one called msgrmds_2001, and they all seem to contain the same files.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 16 2009, 01:40 AM
Post #140

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Eye-popping work as usual, Gordan!

That is really an intriguing little world, isn't it? Still can't believe how different it looks from MESSENGER than it did from Mariner 10; what a difference 30+ years in technological progress makes!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Apr 30 2009, 08:20 PM
Post #141

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (Juramike @ Oct 6 2008, 06:09 PM) *
Combination of Phil Stooke's image and my image of the Southern Basin:
Attached Image

Compare also with image seen here in Phil Stookes post (this thread, post#100) here (Oct 9, 2008).

The Southern Basin is the 700 km impact crater Rembrandt.

space.com article: http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0904...cury-globe.html
space.com picture in today's article:
Attached Image

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
scalbers
post May 3 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #142

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (ugordan @ Apr 15 2009, 08:38 PM) *
Thanks for the heads-up, Peter. This is sweet.
Here's the calibrated version of 4 MESSENGER single-frame-global-color views of Mercury so far:

Very nice Gordan. I may try this in my map (e.g. the lower right one). Out of curiosity do you have any comment on the way your colors compare with the various versions of PIA11364?

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA11364

Is there a question per chance of whether the color saturation gets increased when one does contrast stretching? I know we discussed the color of Mercury in some past posts - if I could find them.

Thanks,

Steve

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 4 2009, 08:34 AM
Post #143

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (scalbers @ May 4 2009, 12:30 AM) *
Is there a question per chance of whether the color saturation gets increased when one does contrast stretching? I know we discussed the color of Mercury in some past posts - if I could find them.

Yes, I said it earlier in some of the other posts. The composites shown here were not gamma corrected for the computer screen, making them contrast-enhanced and the colors are too exaggerated. I personally prefer gamma-correct stuff, though it appears I'm in a minority here as that washes down albedo differences and color, making the images less pleasing to others (though making them closer to actual appearance).

I did produce two gamma corrected global views from flyby 1 and written a short image advisory in the description explaining the reasoning.

A few notes here: even our Moon appears brownish when calibrated this way, and in fact a lot of digital camera images taken from the International Space Station & Shuttle show it brownish while it appears perfectly gray to us down here. I don't know how to explain it, other than it's a psychological thing and automatic "white balancing" in the human eye. This also suggests if you actually stared at Mercury for a while, it'd start to appear gray as well. Unless you held a piece of white paper in front of you for comparison I guess. It is more coppery-brownish than the Moon, but not terribly so. Its albedo markings are also weaker than lunar ones.

Color is really subjective depending on viewing conditions and we could go on discussing it for ages, but it's OT here so I'll just stop my rant here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post May 5 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #144

Member No.: 184

Yes, maybe a thread on Mercury's color would be an idea to consider. Meanwhile I noticed this Earth-based image showing a conjunction with the Moon and Venus that almost shows a hint of brown color in Mercury (compared with Venus)?

http://www.possumobservatory.co.nz/moon_ve...-800asa-web.jpg

http://www.possumobservatory.co.nz/latest_...-continuing.htm

Steve

+Quote Post
peter59
post Jul 1 2009, 08:56 AM
Post #145

Member No.: 299

Flyby Visualization Tools update.
Mercury Flyby 2, Planned and Actual Images
http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/the_mission/visualization.html

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jul 1 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #146

Member No.: 590

Strictly speaking, I think we're expecting some tools for Flyby 3 now, since it's just a bit over one Mercury-year away.

--Greg

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 2 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #147

Administrator

Has anybody out there assembled any of the outbound NAC mosaics from Flyby 2? I'm in need of a high-resolution version of the Mercury-looks-like-a-giant-watermelon view.

--Emily

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Sep 3 2009, 02:54 AM
Post #148

Member No.: 4270

I second that request.
I have a 8,145 by 9,305 px, 6.2 Mb global mosaic from the first flyby, and have been itching for one from the second flyby as well.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 3 2009, 04:15 AM
Post #149

Administrator

I know they exist. I asked politely to see if the mission would release one, but they said no and that I could go make my own from the data in the PDS. Public engagement fail.

--Emily

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 3 2009, 04:31 AM
Post #150

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Huh. That was a puzzling response by them, esp. considering your stature in the planetary science community.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:08 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.