3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hayabusa movies
Blue Sky
post Jan 24 2012, 11:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6317

On Feb 11, 2012 will be the theatrical release of a dramatic movie about the Hayabusa mission. It looks like an expensive production: they built a copy of the main JAXA control room for the film.

Here is the web site: http://www.hayabusa2012.jp/index.html

You can watch some trailers there. Watch the one marked 'ver 2' in particular.

It's all in Japanese, but hopefully there will be an eventual DVD release with subtitles.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bdunford
post Jan 24 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 965

Here's an English translation of the trailer that I made with the help of some friends:

http://www.ridingwithrobots.org/2011/12/ro...pace-the-movie/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blue Sky
post Jan 25 2012, 12:04 AM
Post #3

Your translation is actually for a different Japanese movie about Hayabusa!
The one I posted about was directed by Tomoyuki Takimoto, and stars Ken Watanabe.
The full title reads "Hayabusa – Return From Afar".

And yet another one comes out March 10, more of a documentary.

+Quote Post
bdunford
post Jan 25 2012, 12:08 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 965

Woah! I just assumed it was the same film without even clicking the link. Wow, two. The trailers are remarkably similar, but both look good to me. Thanks very much for posting that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 25 2012, 12:28 AM
Post #5

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I want to see these. Thanks for the trailers, you guys!!!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jan 25 2012, 12:35 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 197

Alright now -- show of hands -- after seeing the trailer who thinks they are going to cry at the end of the movie?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 25 2012, 01:07 AM
Post #7

Merciless Robot

I can't cry, but I may well develop annoying completely unrelated oil leaks around my optical sensors. If anyone says anything about it, they can bite something shiny... wink.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Blue Sky
post Jan 25 2012, 01:10 AM
Post #8

You can order the older one right now from the Amazon Japan web site, though not available until March 7.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%81%AF%E3%82%84...1647&sr=1-2

Be warned that Japanese DVD's are ridiculously expensive even before shipping, and they are coded for Region 2 so check whether your computer maybe can play them. This one does have English subtitles.

There are actually a few listed. To see them, go to www.amazon.co.jp, select 'DVD' from the dropdown and paste this into the search box -> はやぶさ. (Hint, use Chrome browser and it's built in translation feature)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 25 2012, 02:50 AM
Post #9

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I cried watching the trailer. Oh boy.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 25 2012, 03:29 AM
Post #10

Merciless Robot

You're still a dude. I leaked some unidentified substance myself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 25 2012, 05:38 PM
Post #11

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Oh my goodness, there's a Blu-Ray box set coming out that looks like it even includes a board game...
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0055BCP98/
I am totally willing to buy this, and have a Hayabusa movie night at my house, if I can figure out how to play it. I am guessing my Region A Blu-Ray player will not play it though....?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Blue Sky
post Jan 25 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #12

It looks like there are 3 disks in the box, so you get a DVD and BluRay version. I have never tried this, but I think software DVD players are more lenient about region coding than the hardware ones. Especially on Linux. There are region-free hardware players too, like this one from Samsung. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DVD-C350-Reg...duckduckgo-d-20

Hard to make out how the board-game works in that small photo. Seems to be made out of paper.
You are looking at a $100 expense there, including shipping, so research carefully before ordering. (And tell us what you find out)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 25 2012, 09:06 PM
Post #13

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I paid not much less than that to get the BluRay of Kaguya HD footage from Japan. Worth every.single.penny.

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Jan 26 2012, 03:47 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 181

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 25 2012, 12:38 PM) *
I am guessing my Region A Blu-Ray player will not play it though....?

I am very excited to purchase this myself.

The Blu Ray disc is Region A as A is the Americas and much of SE Asia including Japan (yea). I would expect the DVD would be region 2 however, which is Europe, the Middle East, and Japan.

A little OT, does a US Amazon Login work for Amazon.jp? I haven't even figured out yet were for sure to log in! blink.gif

[Also worth noting: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=FXXF-54530]

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
Blue Sky
post Jan 26 2012, 06:27 PM
Post #15

I was able to log in on the co.jp site using my amazon.com credentials. Once you get to the "My Account" page you will see an option "would you like to see this page in English" which you might find useful.

Translation of actual product pages is rather hit or miss, as Google's translation service is rather bad for Japanese. (I can read just enough Japanese to at least know when Google gets it wrong) Don't forget to look for "International Shipping", and be sitting down when you see the prices. Exchange rate is about ¥77 to the US$.

QUOTE (Pertinax @ Jan 26 2012, 10:47 AM) *
A little OT, does a US Amazon Login work for Amazon.jp? I haven't even figured out yet were for sure to log in! blink.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:50 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.