Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Route Map
Phil Stooke
post Apr 11 2020, 06:39 PM
Post #1381

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

My version of the updated map. The recent path has been updated from JPL mapping. EDIT: except I forgot the small move on sol 2702. I replaced the earlier image with a corrected one.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nogal
post Apr 18 2020, 12:52 PM
Post #1382

Member No.: 4824

Update to sol 2734. I too forgot the 2702 sol, labelling it 2700 instead! Thanks for bringing it up Phil.
Curiosity drove about 31m on sol 2734, confidentely descending from the Greenheugh pediment and moving to a location near sol 2658.
Just another few meters and it will pass the 22km mark!
Fernando
Attached File  The_Martian_Way_MSL_Curiosity_Sol_2734_2020APR18.kmz ( 778.96K ) Number of downloads: 217

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 18 2020, 09:56 PM
Post #1383

Thanks! Very useful as usual. I will be back on the job in a few days.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 20 2020, 09:41 PM
Post #1384

OK - just catching up on some Moon stuff in preparation for next year, which will be very busy.

Here is a map update to sol 2734. I shifted big blocks of names onto other maps of individual sites and added an inset map to untangle the southbound and northbound parts of the route. It's tricky trying to map something as it happens because you don't know what the map layout should look like when you start.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 26 2020, 06:37 AM
Post #1385

A very rough update to sol 2744. I think the location should be fairly good, but the path needs work so a more fully edited version will follow when I know more and have a bit of time.

Phil

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
nogal
post Apr 26 2020, 04:07 PM
Post #1386

I was waiting for those names ... Curiosity has tottaled over 22km (the marker's location is a best guess) and looks like it is getting ready to take a closer view of Tower Butte.
Update to sol 2742.
Fernando
Attached File  The_Martian_Way_MSL_Curiosity_Sol_2742_2020APR25.kmz ( 780.18K ) Number of downloads: 178

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 27 2020, 08:04 PM
Post #1387

Here's a map or sol 2745. I forgot the distance marker, I will add it next time.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Apr 27 2020, 08:47 PM
Post #1388

Member No.: 542

Hi Phil - There's another name I feel bound to query. I'm not aware of any place in Scotland named Crossbill though there are several Crosshills. My daughter happens to live very close to one of them. Thanks as always for the maps.

Nigel

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 27 2020, 09:26 PM
Post #1389

I always welcome corrections and queries. The name I give comes from the Status Reports, but they are not always correct. I will check later when the Sci Ops group reports are in the Analysts' Notebook. And they are also not always correct! I'm going to make your change now on my map and ask questions later.

One other change I make is to represent names as placenames, not file names (omitting underscores, for instance).

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 2 2020, 02:50 AM
Post #1390

Map update to sol 2747, the new drill site. We will be here for a few weeks. I put a marker in for 22 km but I think I need to move it slightly.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
nogal
post May 2 2020, 11:47 AM
Post #1391

Update to sol 2747.
Fernando
Attached File  The_Martian_Way_MSL_Curiosity_Sol_2747_2020MAY02.kmz ( 781.22K ) Number of downloads: 214

+Quote Post
nogal
post May 22 2020, 01:04 PM
Post #1392

Here is an update to the collection of notional routes / planed traverses.

I have added a new version (the 9th!) of the Mount Sharp Ascension Route. The route is shown in Figure 1 of the paper, submitted to the 51st LPSC, "2426 - Mass Movements and Debris Deposits in the Grand Canyon and Gediz Vallis,Gale Crater, Mars".

I am indebted to UMSF member Paul Hammond (PaulH51) for not only calling my attention to the paper but also for sketching the route and very generously sharing it with me. With his permission, I have made a few changes so any errors you may find are my responsibility only. We both suspect that, in some places, alternative traverses are shown. However, we have chosen to interpret the route as if all paths will be followed, which leads to some segments being passed by two or three times.

As with previous paths, this is a notional path, and Curiosity will follow it only approximately, just compare the actual route with them. At 11.2 km in length, the route passes many interesting places and Curiosity might need a few years to investigate them all! Looking forward to it and enjoying the scenery.
Fernando

Attached File  MSL_Planned_Routes_2020MAY21.kmz ( 192.8K ) Number of downloads: 285

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 2 2020, 03:11 AM
Post #1393

A drive on sol 2780 as we begin a quick drive to the start of the sulfate unit, AKA great big hills with spectacular scenery. I will add a few names on the next update.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 3 2020, 07:07 AM
Post #1394

50 m further east on sol 2781.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 5 2020, 11:14 PM
Post #1395

Looks like A 55-60 m drive east again, threading a path between the dark sandy patches. We can see a break in the dark sand to the northeast which will presumably be our path. While we are making these longer drives I will revert to a smaller scale map.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

143 Pages V  « < 91 92 93 94 95 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:57 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.