Reply to this topicStart new topic
SMART-1 impact, September 2006
Phil Stooke
post Sep 3 2006, 04:14 AM
Post #61

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Well, unfortunately the Clementine LWIR image strips don't cover the nominal impact point. Here is a mosaic of four orbits, containing all the images in the area. The nominal impact point is right in the middle, between the two strips. Each strip is a composite of two orbits. This can be compared with the new AMIE mosaic to see where the strips lie.

LWIR images are difficult to process but give very nice views of the surface, as long as the point you want is covered!

Phil

(PS does anyone else on planet Earth actually use these images?)

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MizarKey
post Sep 3 2006, 05:29 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 45

Does anyone know if there's anywhere on the web broadcasting live via telescope? I'm telescope challenged and was hoping to see the impact..

--------------------
Eric P / MizarKey

+Quote Post
GravityWaves
post Sep 3 2006, 05:51 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 723

QUOTE (MizarKey @ Sep 3 2006, 02:29 AM) *
Does anyone know if there's anywhere on the web broadcasting live via telescope? I'm telescope challenged and was hoping to see the impact..

Spaceflightnow ( www.spaceflightnow.com/news ) says the best phots might come from Amateur astronomers, the guys over at nasaspaceflight were running a live thread with impact images from a webcam inside the ESA controll room.

Still no press release....but they have a lot of info on Europe's pre-impact activities as Smart-1 comes to an end

The ESA website says 'ESA-webportal will publish results as soon as they are available late on 2 September and early on 3 September.'

+Quote Post
ermar
post Sep 3 2006, 06:10 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 605

According to the ESA, the impact took place according to schedule.

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/SMART-1/SEMBY5BVLRE_0.html

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Sep 3 2006, 07:05 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 116

I've been chasing the news, but it has been scarce so far. Apparently an observatory in Hawaii detected a "bright flash," according to this article.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Jyril
post Sep 3 2006, 08:29 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 408

The CFHT image of the flash is available here.

--------------------
The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Sep 3 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 150

Thanks, Jyril... I suspect these are the very first published images of the impact.
About the flash, apparently the explosion is big: it's apparent size is 24 pixel (or 7 arcsec) in the outermost part and 9pixel/2.7arcsec in the inner/most luminous (saturated?) region... these numbers correspond to a "hot gas bubble" of 5-12Km diameter. I do not know if these value are "real" because, even if well above instrument resolution (a fraction of arcsec, see here), we do not know the atmospheric conditions sad.gif and they do not published the FWHM figure... in fact, I suspect that the true moon surface detail are the very blurred (do not considetr the very dark spots or other bright, well defined features probably arising from the sensor) and, based on this, seeing is very bad and SN ratio is high. sad.gif
Probably, only some convoluted image can tell us real size of the bubble.
Obviously, SMART crater isn't visible (should be less than 1/60 pixel size) wink.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Sep 3 2006, 10:30 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 523

I suspect the brightness of the flash will be much more useful than measuring its dimensions (which is very dependant on seeing conditions, instrument characteristics and the sort). I wonder if any good spectra were acquired?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Sep 3 2006, 10:44 AM
Post #69

Guests

The impact site would be a good target for the future Lunar Reconaissance orbiter..

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Sep 3 2006, 11:44 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 174

Given the low impact speed, this is *not* a hypervelocity impact. Metal and rock debris leaving the impact crater at high velocity will be hot, but probably barely hot enough to glow thermally at visual wavelengths. <I'd like to see a calculation on the maximum kinetic heating possible> There should be some visible flash from remaining hydrazine and maybe shorting batteries and the like.. hard to guess how much.

I'd think a flash would be much more visible at thermal infrared wavelengths.. 5 micrometer or longer. Having an acutal flash dection will pinpoint the impact point better than raw spacecraft L.O.S. timing, I'd presume, and provide a good coordinate for future high and eventually ultra-high imaging.

+Quote Post
hal_9000
post Sep 3 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #71

Member No.: 358

SMART-1 on IFR
http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/News/Smart1/
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Sep 3 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 212

There are some brief reports at the Planetary society website;

http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00000688/
http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00000686/ (includes a beautiful mosaic of the impact region from ESA, also at ESA site)

mosaic link:
http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/smart_...onAMIEMap_H.jpg

there are about 4. check the weblog for more:

Just As Planned

Sep. 2, 2006 | 23:00 PDT | Sep. 3 06:00 UTC

Weblog Archiveby Jennifer Vaughn

SMART-1 scientist Detlef Koschy confirmed that mission control lost the SMART-1 signal at 10:42:19. He reported that folks at ESOC applauded when the "mission ended just as planned." Team members at ESOC are now downloading final pictures. SMART-1 took images up to about 5 minutes before impact.

We also heard from a group of amateur astronomers who have set up at Los Angeles' Griffith Observatory. They did not observe anything unusual, nor did we see anything here at The Planetary Society. We're still waiting to hear from the worldwide network of observatories to see if an impact blast or ejecta plume was seen.

+Quote Post
Guest_Myran_*
post Sep 3 2006, 12:42 PM
Post #73

Guests

I can only confirm whats been said, but yes the Swedish Space Corporation have that image up now also with a link to the Canada France Hawaii Telescope.
Someone might wonder what the Swedish Space Corporation got to do with SMART? Well SMART was proposed and designed by SSC, and built by Saab/Ericsson space (Formerly Saab-aerospace) in Linköping Sweden. After completion SMART was handed over to ESA for launch and the daily operations of the mission.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 3 2006, 03:47 PM
Post #74

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I was just thinking about how many things have hit or landed on the moon... some we might be uncertain about - are the Soviet orbiters still in orbit, for instance? - Luna 10 was high enough that it may still be in orbit - but making a few assumptions, I think SMART-1 may be the 60th spacecraft to reach the surface. I count 20 Lunas (including upper stages of two of them), five Rangers, seven Surveyors, five Lunar Orbiters, 20 bits of Apollo hardware, Hiten, Prospector and SMART-1. I'm not counting things like the Luna 9 landing stage or the Surveyor main engines, ejected before landing, and I'm not counting Luna 17 and Lunokhod 1 (etc) as two items. So a bit of a fudged list.

Some we can't locate on a map - e.g. the Apollo 16 LM ascent stage or the Apollo 15 subsatellite. I think that 50 could be plotted on a map.

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
garybeau
post Sep 3 2006, 05:49 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 256

Not sure if the telescope/camera has the resolution to pick out a crater from the impact, but it sure
looks like there is something visible from the before and after pictures.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:58 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.