21 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Spirit - 2010 Winter@Troy, The first stationary science campaign
fredk
post Dec 10 2010, 05:19 AM
Post #226

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

Spirit map update for sol 2458. How sad.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/tm-...it-sol2458.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PaulM
post Dec 17 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #227

Member No.: 3233

I understand that when contact was lost with Viking 1, it entered a mode in which it tried to communicate with Earth at randon times of the day similar to the mission-clock fault mode that Spirit may currently be enduring.

I would like to know whether if the level of effort currently being employed to talk to Spirit had been tried on Viking 1 then contact could have been re-established with Viking 1? Were the two problems essentially the same? Given that Viking 1's RTGs kept its electronics really warm, how long might Viking 1 have continued to try to phone home? Could Viking 1 still be trying to phone home today? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Dec 17 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #228

Member No.: 1241

Spirit's winter solstice was May 13,2010
We lost contact on May 22
She entered Spring in middle November 2010
Summer Solstice will be mid April 2011
And Fall arrives in late September 2011 (all times approximate)

...so Spirit is one month into Spring (which is like 2 weeks of spring on Earth)
If she is in one piece we should hearing from her anytime now...

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
brellis
post Dec 17 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #229

Member No.: 1700

Hoping for a dust angel to wipe her plates clean! smile.gif

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Jan 5 2011, 08:11 AM
Post #230

Member No.: 172

Happy New Year 2011 dear Spirit
with all our wishes for your good recovery
(just to help you and this topic roll into 2011)
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Jan 5 2011, 03:58 PM
Post #231

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (brellis @ Dec 17 2010, 04:40 PM) *
Hoping for a dust angel to wipe her plates clean! smile.gif

...and hopefully not "angel dust", as that will REALLY cause problems for her!

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
Ipparchus
post Jan 8 2011, 11:22 AM
Post #232

Member No.: 4055

I`d like you to help me understand something. I have read in the September 30, 2010 Planetary Society MER Update that: "When there is enough power to wake-up, Spirit will get up for between five and 10 minutes, long enough to power things up and check for a signal called solar groovy, which essentially means the rover has 1.1 amps of power coming off its solar array. " and "...so eventually it will be waking up in the time period when its gets a solar array wake-up, another signal from the solar array indicating that the rover has 2 amps of power coming off it. “That, in turn, signals an autonomous wake-up to the CPU,” Nelson pointed out. " How many watt-hours are the 1.1 and 2 amps? huh.gif

--------------------
"It`s one small step for a man. A giant leap for all mankind!" Armstrong, Apollo 11, 1969.

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Jan 8 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #233

Member No.: 212

hop for the best

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 8 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #234

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 33

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pr.../20110104b.html Claiming to be the author of about 75% of what you publish is a little disingenuous, don't you think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jan 9 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #235

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

I'm assuming that this refers to current available on the bus rather than what is coming off the arrays themselves before it gets into the power management and distribution system. The power bus on the MER's is nominally 28V so 1.1A would be just over 30Watts and 2A would be 56Watts. Those are instantaneous numbers. Assuming those are peak values at noon then a (very rough) approximation of the daily power available in watt Hours would be about 3x that number so 1.1A would be around 90 watt hours and 2A would be 168 watt hours. That range seems about right given that Spirit went silent when the daily power numbers dropped below about 130watt hours per sol.

I'm making a lot of assumptions there though so you can take those with a fairly large grain of salt.

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Jan 10 2011, 08:45 AM
Post #236

QUOTE (PaulM @ Dec 17 2010, 09:54 PM) *
rolleyes.gif

Dear Paul M, here are my answers, if I may :

Q/ I understand that when contact was lost with Viking 1, it entered a mode in which it tried to communicate with Earth at randon times of the day similar to the mission-clock fault mode that Spirit may currently be enduring
A/ Unfortunately no (see why herebelow), contact was lost when some instructions were sent from Earth to VL1 on November 19, 1982, for renewing its long-term scientific program : i.e. including the taking of 300° panoramic pictures and the management of its batteries after February 1990 and until 1996 (!). On January 1982, VL1 was already re-programmed with an "help" mode to ensure a minimal telecom mode to Earth should there is an incident (i.e. call back home on an automatic basis). A new programmation sequence was decided late August 1982 and inside those instructions, were sent some erroneous commands (un-tested before their sending by lack of budget) that erased the position of Earth in the Martian sky (that were already in its memory until December 1994)...

Q/ I would like to know whether if the level of effort currently being employed to talk to Spirit had been tried on Viking 1 then contact could have been re-established with Viking 1 ?
A/ A few days after the incident (end of November 1982), the bad antenna pointing was identified and a decision was taken to send new commands at maximum DSN power, hoping that they would even bounce off the Martian surface close to the Lander in case the antenna was pointing towards the ground... No answers were received, unfortunately

Q/ Were the two problems essentially the same?
A/ No, because they were NO more active orbiters around Mars at this time to help sending commands to VL1. Only a direct link from Earth to VL1 (through its hi-gain antenna) was available, and only once per day because of the DSN being busy at this time. Spirit is in a better position to regain contact with us : there is still a direct link available from Earth PLUS several daily telecom links opportunities available from orbiters around Mars

Q/Given that Viking 1's RTGs kept its electronics really warm, how long might Viking 1 have continued to try to phone home?
A/ Until December 1994 at least, with hopes that the RTGs would give enough power until 1996

Q/Could Viking 1 still be trying to phone home today ?
A/ Unfortunately no : I think its batteries are long dead and its antenna is stuck sad.gif

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Jan 11 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #237

QUOTE (Astro0 @ May 21 2010, 06:33 AM) *
The start of a brand new day. Enjoy

Astro0, thanks to your nice "sunrise" and "sunset" visions, I had the idea of extracting the colors (just the colors themselves, not the contrast) of the Pancam noon pics (the pics taken to build the 'Calypso' Panorama) and paste those colors on the b&w pics (which gave the contrast) taken at sols 2001 -sunrise- and sol 2002 -sunset-.
Here are the results from these merges (as a reduced version to save space on the Forum).
Now you can enjoy the nice real colors seen (i) at sunrise, (ii) at early afternoon (in fact, a segment that could be part of the 'Calypso' Panorama) and (iii) at sunset over Von Braun...
It's a calm vision on Mars to be enjoyed listening to Mozart or Bach concerti...
And dedicated to all the contributors to this nice UMSF Forum and the Planetary Society Members (not forgetting the PanCam team members : thanks to them we have pictures from Mars !). Enjoy smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jan 11 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #238

Member No.: 542

I just want to applaud. smile.gif That's a beautiful piece of work.
(On my ridiculously bright monitor the first one looks best.)

+Quote Post
climber
post Jan 11 2011, 11:51 PM
Post #239

Member No.: 682

Very inspiring indeed Olivier, may Spirit ear you call...
Come on baby, wake up! Give us more of these.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jan 12 2011, 03:50 AM
Post #240

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

QUOTE (vikingmars @ Jan 12 2011, 09:17 AM) *
Astro0, thanks to your nice "sunrise" and "sunset" visions, ...

I can't take all the credit for that, if you read back further, mhoward had done a fantastic QTVR months earlier.

Nonetheless, brilliant job vikingmars. the place feels 'alive' from the colours you've introduced.
A fitting tribute to our (currently) absent friend smile.gif

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2020 - 10:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.