7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Europa Flyby - PJ45, September 29, 2022
Decepticon
post Sep 13 2022, 02:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 114

Juno is set to flyby of Europa on Sept. 29, 2022 (PJ45)

I can't wait to see the results of this flyby!

Sadly not much information is available online.

Jason Has a beautiful animation of encounter on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9bx1GcoqEE...nel=volcanopele

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 13 2022, 11:36 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 497

Junocam will take four RGB images on one-minute intervals starting at around terminator crossing (roughly 09:37:30 UT), using the same method used for the Ganymede imaging last year. I'm not sure when we can expect the data to show up, hopefully before that weekend but no guarantees.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Sep 14 2022, 04:02 AM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Thanks for that bit of info! In the morning I’ll make a set of preview images. I made one that I posted on Twitter but I think that was for the opportunity after the one you mentioned.

Attached Image

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
StargazeInWonder
post Sep 14 2022, 07:02 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9140

It seems, from the blurry quality of the base map in the upper right of the preview image, that there's reason to expect that this image may be an upgrade on the best coverage we have of that part of Europa. That would be great.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 14 2022, 03:58 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (StargazeInWonder @ Sep 14 2022, 12:02 AM) *
It seems, from the blurry quality of the base map in the upper right of the preview image, that there's reason to expect that this image may be an upgrade on the best coverage we have of that part of Europa.

Probably. USGS coverage maps claim 6 km/pix over that area and we should get 2-4 km/pix. But we've found that the coverage maps are often optimistic about resolution, as some of it is motion-blurred or otherwise not great. On the other hand, it's a fast flyby and I don't want to overpromise anything.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Sep 14 2022, 04:19 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 351

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 14 2022, 08:58 AM) *
Probably. USGS coverage maps claim 6 m/pix over that area and we should get 2-4 km/pix. But we've found that the coverage maps are often optimistic about resolution, as some of it is motion-blurred or otherwise not great. On the other hand, it's a fast flyby and I don't want to overpromise anything.

6 m/pix is several order of magnitude better than 2-4 cm/pix. Is the first number or scale misstated?

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 14 2022, 04:35 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (vjkane @ Sep 14 2022, 08:19 AM) *
6 m/pix is several order of magnitude better than 2-4 cm/pix. Is the first number or scale misstated?

Sorry, yes, obviously, I meant km/pix. Edited.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Sep 14 2022, 05:01 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 14 2022, 09:35 AM) *
Sorry, yes, obviously, I meant km/pix. Edited.

Do that all the time myself. rolleyes.gif

Looking forward to this flyby. Will be especially interested in what the microwave radiometer finds about the ice shell structure, but expect that will have to await publication of a peer-reviewed paper unlike the raw images.

Out of curiousity, I presume that the microwave radiometer is a passive instrument - is this correct?

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 14 2022, 05:13 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (vjkane @ Sep 14 2022, 09:01 AM) *
Out of curiousity, I presume that the microwave radiometer is a passive instrument - is this correct?

Correct. Strictly speaking, there's no such thing as an active radiometer. Anything that has active and radiometer in the name is probably some kind of hybrid radar/radiometer, but MWR is not that, it's receive-only.

https://dataverse.jpl.nasa.gov/file.xhtml?f...amp;version=1.0 is sort of old, but the full Springer paper is paywalled, alas.

--------------------

+Quote Post
StargazeInWonder
post Sep 14 2022, 07:50 PM
Post #10

Some write-ups of Juno's microwave radiometer observations of Ganymede have recently been published, about a year after the flyby, and should give a rough idea of what capabilities it has regarding Europa.

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU...GU22-10748.html

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Sep 14 2022, 07:50 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 13 2022, 04:36 PM) *
I'm not sure when we can expect the data to show up, hopefully before that weekend but no guarantees.

One thing to keep in mind for everyone is that Artemis is playing havoc on the DSN schedule for a lot of missions. The first launch opportunity is on the 27th and if that is a go and succeeds, there be might some impact on the schedule for later that week. So if images show up later than everyone expects compared to previous perijoves, that could be why.

--------------------

+Quote Post
StargazeInWonder
post Sep 14 2022, 09:32 PM
Post #12

DART will reach its destination on September 26. It's going to be a big week.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Sep 14 2022, 10:53 PM
Post #13

Going with Mike's first image time, here are preview versions of each JunoCAM image:

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Sep 14 2022, 11:47 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 14 2022, 10:13 AM) *
Correct. Strictly speaking, there's no such thing as an active radiometer. Anything that has active and radiometer in the name is probably some kind of hybrid radar/radiometer, but MWR is not that, it's receive-only.

Thanks. The depths of measurements in Europa's ice shell from a presentation about a year ago made me wonder if the instrument did have an additional active mode.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 14 2022, 11:52 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Sep 14 2022, 02:53 PM) *
Going with Mike's first image time, here are preview versions of each JunoCAM image...

Nice, but my sims show Europa not leaving the FOV so quickly. Are you using a C kernel like juno_sc_prl_220928_221105_jm0450a_v01? There's a 4.5 degree offset from grav orientation for this pass.

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:24 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.