Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn's first orbit, including RC3, March 6, 2015- June 15, 2015
Phil Stooke
post Jun 11 2015, 03:08 AM
Post #436

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Please link to the original images at the Dawn website, rather than some image hosting site with pop-up ads.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Jun 11 2015, 03:37 AM
Post #437

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (Habukaz @ Jun 10 2015, 03:56 PM) *
Also in the release is, among other things, a nice mosaic of one of the two big craters in the southern hemisphere. These scratch marks north (?) of it have an interesting appearance:

Yes that feature did catch my eye also, it resembles glacier shearing, and might be a comparatively young feature.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jun 11 2015, 07:25 AM
Post #438

Member No.: 3995

Ceres spot in the parking lot? smile.gif

Attached Image

Fracture/conduit? Check.

Salt deposits? Check.

There is even a dark halo, but the origin of this one is quite different.

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jun 11 2015, 01:56 PM
Post #439

Member No.: 5458

And is that a giant pair of feet?! Aliens confirmed on Ceres! News at 11!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jun 11 2015, 06:14 PM
Post #440

New image, contrast enhanced:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jun 11 2015, 06:32 PM
Post #441

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jun 10 2015, 03:12 PM) *
Yeah -- the dark streak appears to be a shadow cast by a ridge of some type, as the sun is coming from the bottom of the image.

If you look at this earlier image, in the craters lower in the image, especially right above the caption, there are dark deposits that really do not appear to be shadows.
http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/display.cfm?News_ID=49244

I would not bet that all the low albedo features in the image you're discussing are shadows.

Here, too, there are dark features on the crater slopes that don't seem to all be shadows:
QUOTE (Gladstoner @ Jun 11 2015, 01:14 PM) *
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jun 11 2015, 06:45 PM
Post #442

Member No.: 542

Great view of the 'sand dollar' in the upper right there. This is a good orbit from which to capture the whole of the Ceres's biggest features within a frame. Soon we will be too close for that.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jun 11 2015, 07:26 PM
Post #443

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Jun 11 2015, 01:32 PM) *
Here, too, there are dark features on the crater slopes that don't seem to all be shadows:

Indeed. This darkish area (Piazzi) has been noticed since the early Hubble observations.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jun 11 2015, 10:36 PM
Post #444

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jun 10 2015, 03:12 PM) *
.... things that occur to me, looking at the zoomed-in image:

1) The secondary white spots look like a long quonset-style building, with smaller outbuildings arranged around it...

2) The main spot looks like the saucer section of a Constitution-class starship, with the longer piece representing the engineering hull. Not much left of the nacelles, just a few small pieces, so they must have blown apart upon impact...

wink.gif

Or maybe it's where the underpants gnomes stash their contraband.

+Quote Post
John Broughton
post Jun 12 2015, 06:01 AM
Post #445

Member No.: 7397

This is a section of the floor of the western of the two southern basins, including light and dark markings seen since January. North is at top.
Attached Image

As mentioned earlier, I suspect both light and dark markings represent volcanic deposits in regions where the crust is weak. That's why light and dark markings are often found on fault lines and in proximity with one another.

My suspicion is that light-toned spots represent salt gradually deposited over a period, and therefore should show varying degrees of positive relief, depending on how long each site was active. I'm yet to see any spots displaying definite signs of impact-related excavation (the consensus explanation in this forum since day 1). The light-toned area left of centre appears to include a ridge on a fault line. If I'm not being fooled by the lightng angle, two thirds of the way along it is a steep cone-shaped mountain. Judging by other large Cererean basins, that mountain looks too small and steep to be its original central peak. The ridge itself could represent a piece of crust that has been broken and tilted prior to formation of the mountain on top.

And I suspect dark markings result from impacts elsewhere, forcing water to explode through those weak points in the crust, spraying and flooding the area with mud -- the basin floor right of centre has clearly ruptured, just where it is darkest. By the way, just at the top of that rupture is a curious mound with two depressions in it that seems to have formed there sometime after the groove it is sitting on.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jun 12 2015, 10:47 PM
Post #446

In the newest release, another crater with a central pit:

Attached Image

This seems to be a recurring theme.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jun 13 2015, 12:29 AM
Post #447

Member No.: 15

I'm agreeing a lot with John's points above. Especially where he notes that the darkest albedo unit seems to overlay the area around the cracks on the right of the image. This looks like a classic example of fissure volcanism, where the Cerean equivalent of fire fountains sprayed from the fissures, emplacing the Cerean equivalent of pyroclastic material over the surrounding terrain. Compare this to the black/orange/red/brown volcanic glasses on the Moon that were emplaced by ancient fire fountains. (Look up the orange/red soil and dark mantling found at Apollo's Taurus-Littrow landing site for good examples.)

The thing I wonder about is how ancient are the landforms we're seeing? Except for impact alteration, any volcanism (even cryovolcanism) on Ceres driven by internal heat would have to have shut down gigayears ago. I wonder if Ceres would have looked pretty much exactly as it looks now three billion years ago?

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Julius
post Jun 13 2015, 06:51 AM
Post #448

Member No.: 741

QUOTE (Gladstoner @ Jun 11 2015, 07:14 PM) *

Attached Image

Are we sure that is an impact crater?

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Jun 13 2015, 11:18 AM
Post #449

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

The Piazzi dark feature, and its proximity to the nearby impact structure, reminds me of the dark pyroclastic halo on the southern rim of Mare Orientale (albeit far more diffuse):

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Jun 13 2015, 02:02 PM
Post #450

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (Gladstoner @ Jun 13 2015, 12:47 AM) *
In the newest release, another crater with a central pit: This seems to be a recurring theme.

Indeed, yet smaller craters do seem to often have that central peak we've learned to expect. Even in that image there's a few such craters at lower right.
So was that central pit a bright area similar to spot 5 in the past? If that turn out to be correct, the case for ice grow stronger, since a pit would suggest something have been removed/evaporated, salts could remain though leaving the pit bright so have they dusted over or darkened by some other mechanism.....?

+Quote Post

31 Pages V  « < 28 29 30 31 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:18 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.