9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
InSight Cruise Phase, Events during Mars transit prior to EDL
propguy
post May 24 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 6507

TCM1 was completed 5/22 (yeah!). biggrin.gif Press release at: https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7138

Can't provide much more data than in the news release but the S/C performance was great and we hit the desired DV well within 1 sigma. Very healthy spacecraft and now we are on a path to Mars! Lots to do in the coming months, but so far a really smooth cruise!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 25 2018, 12:42 AM
Post #17

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Music to our ears, Propguy; thank you!!! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post May 25 2018, 12:53 AM
Post #18

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (propguy @ May 24 2018, 08:00 PM) *
TCM1 was completed 5/22 (yeah!). biggrin.gif Press release at: https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7138

Can't provide much more data than in the news release but the S/C performance was great and we hit the desired DV well within 1 sigma. Very healthy spacecraft and now we are on a path to Mars! Lots to do in the coming months, but so far a really smooth cruise!

Good to hear.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 2 2018, 12:23 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 5221

The cubesats have done their TCMs as well ( https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2018-123 )

Looks like B has a leaky valve, but it should be able to make it as well (showing how useful twin spacecraft are!)

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Aug 21 2018, 01:13 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 6853

InSight's Inner Sanctum Revealed (PIA22647): This long-exposure image (24 seconds) was taken by Instrument Context Camera (ICC) of NASA's InSight Mars lander. The image shows some of the interior features of the backshell that encapsulates the spacecraft. The backshell carries the parachute and several components used during later stages of entry, descent, and landing. Along with the heatshield, the backshell protects NASA's InSight Mars lander during its commute to and entry into the Martian atmosphere. The annotations in this image call out discernable components in the backshell -- the heatshield blanket, harness tie-downs, and cover bolts for the ICC. The heat shield blanket provides thermal protection from the hot and cold temperature swings encountered during cruise, and the high heat that will occur during Mars atmospheric entry. The tie-downs are used to secure harnesses (or other objects) so they do not move around inside the aeroshell while in flight. The ICC cover bolts secure a protective transparent window to the camera during cruise and entry, descent and landing. The cover is opened after landing and is not visible during surface operations. This image has been stretched to bring out details in the dimly lit scene. The illumination of the components on the inside of the backshell comes from sunlight entering around the edges of cutouts in the backshell to accommodate steering thrusters. link
Attached Image
Attached Image

EDIT: Not sure why I cant see the images in this post, they looked fine in the preview, but are not shown. I'm seeing them as downloads, but I cant download them. I removed and re uploaded them but the issue remains. You can get both images from the link to the Photojournal post.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 24 2018, 02:00 AM
Post #21

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Do we know anything yet about the image release policy for Insight? I would hope we will see all images released quickly, as we have come to expect from NASA Mars missions. Hopeful cartographers need to know!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Oct 26 2018, 12:09 AM
Post #22

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

Any news on Insight being updated on Eyes, so we can watch the approach and landing ?

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Oct 26 2018, 01:10 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 4270

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 23 2018, 08:00 PM) *
Hopeful cartographers need to know!

I'm certainly looking forward to your routemaps laugh.gif

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 28 2018, 03:02 PM
Post #24

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (MahFL @ Oct 25 2018, 04:09 PM) *
Any news on Insight being updated on Eyes, so we can watch the approach and landing ?

Not going to happen I’m afraid - there just aren’t the resources to pull it off.

+Quote Post
Guest_mcmcmc_*
post Oct 29 2018, 02:49 PM
Post #25

Guests

QUOTE (MahFL @ Oct 26 2018, 01:09 AM) *

I don't know where he gets the data, anyway here they are:
http://www.whereisroadster.com/insight/

I'll see if I can turn them into something more graphical like I did for Hayabusa 2 and OSIRIS-Rex.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Oct 31 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 5221

InSight press conference on now, everything with the spacecraft remains nominal. Newest thing is confirming MRO will try to image the landing (and I can update my avatar at last)!

+Quote Post
Guest_mcmcmc_*
post Nov 7 2018, 07:07 PM
Post #27

Guests

Insight will have same EDL profile of Phoenix, so while we wait for november 26th we can imagine how it will be: this video mixes real mission control audio+video with video simulation to show what happened 10 years ago and what will happen 3 weeks from now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH5pNFROlYU

Note: for some reasons, the "freefall phase" after parachute jettisoning is not called like that for Insight, but instead called "gravity turn"; then engines are started ("Powered descent phase"), and after 3 seconds of freefall+deceleration Insight will enter the "Constant velocity phase"; once Insight slows down to 30 km/h (around 50m from ground) it turns on ground contact sensors on legs; at 8 km/h engines are turned off, to prevent too much regolite from being blown around, and a final free-fall (few centimeters) starts, and we are on Mars.

This document analyses actual Phoenix EDL recorded data:
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntr...20080034645.pdf

Reconstructed Insight timeline (from multiple inconsistent sources):

Text version:
CODE
n    t    alt m    v m/s    v mph    v kmh    Event
1    -420                    cruise stage detachment
2    -390                    Entry turn starts
3    -300                    Entry turns end
4    0     128000      75301      13000      17017     atmosphere entry
5    100                    7.4g
6    223     12000     415    928    1494    Parachute
7    238     10300     132    295    475.2    heat shield jettisoned
8    248.0                    leg1
9    248.5                    leg2
10    249.0                    leg3
11    249.5                    legs ready
12    300     5500                 Radar on
13    333     2300                 Radar acquires ground
14    351     1100     61    136    220    Parachute/Lander separation
15    354     900                 Gravity turn start (free fall)
16    378     51     8    17    28    Constant velocity start (powered descent)
17    393.75        2.2    5    8    Engine off
18    394    0    0    0    0    Touchdown

Status monitor:
http://win98.altervista.org/space/exploration/

Phoenix EDL analysis:

Sources:
https://www.seis-insight.eu/en/public-2/the...mission/landing
https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/timeline/land...escent-landing/
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/press_kits/in...ion/Layer-2.jpg

+Quote Post
propguy
post Nov 9 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 6507

QUOTE (mcmcmc @ Nov 7 2018, 01:07 PM) *
Note: for some reasons, the "freefall phase" after parachute jettisoning is not called like that for Insight, but instead called "gravity turn"; then engines are started ("Powered descent phase"), and after 3 seconds of freefall+deceleration Insight will enter the "Constant velocity phase"; once Insight slows down to 30 km/h (around 50m from ground) it turns on ground contact sensors on legs; at 8 km/h engines are turned off, to prevent too much regolite from being blown around, and a final free-fall (few centimeters) starts, and we are on Mars.

Actually gravity turn is not a freefall. There is a very short freefall once we separate from the backshell and parachute (~0.5 second) and then we begin the tip-up portion of powered descent. That lasts ~2.5 seconds (the tip-up is the align the lander with the velocity vector, which should still have some appreciable horizontal velocity, whereas when we drop out of the backshell we will mostly be dropping down). Then we begin gravity turn which is the main portion of powered descent where we are eliminating the horizontal velocity and reducing vertical velocity down to 2.5 m/sec or so. After we hit that vertical velocity limit we enter the final phase of powered descent called constant velocity. Constant velocity is where we descend at the 2.5 m/sec rate until one of the three legs achieves contact with the surface and the descent engines are then turned off. This is one of the keys to powered descent. The main goal is to achieve constant velocity not too close to the surface (or you risk hitting at too high a speed) or too high (or you end up using too much fuel since you have a very long time at this slow descent rate). As shown in the above Phoenix diagram we spend a third of powered descent in constant velocity while only descending the last 50 meters or so (luckily also at a lower thrust since at this point we only have to thrust at a value equal to the Mars gravity of the lander, so fuel usage is lower). So to summarize, the freefall begins at separation from the backshell and parachute, followed by tip-up, then gravity turn, and then constant velocity, and then landing (Whoohoo!).

Here is a little InSight summary too (without providing any true details, which I am not allowed to provide, that must come from official sources). We are as you know nearing Mars. S/C is performing beautifully. We have 3 potential maneuvers left (TCM4, 5, and 6) set on the next 3 Sundays (11/11, 18, and 25). These are only required to fine tune the entry location and time (i.e. TCM3 pointed us at the correct location, these are used to adjust for errors in final arrival location). This is the same plan that Phoenix had and they only performed the middle one (TCM5). If I were to guess I think that may be or path to entry too, but that is simply a guess. Also today I am reviewing the final EDL sequence for upload (one of the many reviewers who have to approve) and that should go up in the next week (same sequence we have had for a while, we just rerun one final time with the latest vehicle state and entry parameters for timing). Starting to get very real and will be quite busy in 2 weeks as we get ready for entry.

P.S. My company has put out a website about InSight EDL and it has lots of facts plus a podcast I am in with one of our system engineers. You can even see what I look like (I am the guy in the dark shirt on the right in the photo). I hope you find the website interesting.

Go InSight and Go Marco! (so hopefully we get real time EDL data just like we did on Phoenix).

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/news/f...ng-to-mars.html

+Quote Post
Guest_mcmcmc_*
post Nov 13 2018, 01:16 PM
Post #29

Guests

QUOTE (propguy @ Nov 9 2018, 10:11 PM) *
so hopefully we get real time EDL data just like we did on Phoenix

Thanks, very interesting. NASA site has a lot of pictures but very few science/engineering data!

I really would like to setup a simulator for Insight like I did for OSIRIS-Rex, but specifically for Insight EDL, with multiple countdowns for each phase. I was thinking about synching it with youtube animation of EDL. Synching it also to realtime telemetries would be great! I don't know if it is feasible in just 12 days, but I want to try.

Planned development phases:
1) Setup multicounter page - quick & easy once I have the timeline... which I posted above.
2) Synch to youtube - I need to study youtube API and find the most suitable video/animation of Insight; looks quite feasible in time.
3) Synch to realtime telemetries - Possible only if:
a) fast network available
B) official json data available
c) anonymous CORS access to data allowed
d) only main events shown (at least 10 seconds one from the other)

Do you think you could setup in such a short time a json URL with realtime telemetries?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 13 2018, 03:22 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (mcmcmc @ Nov 13 2018, 05:16 AM) *
Do you think you could setup in such a short time a json URL with realtime telemetries?

Not to rain on your parade, but this is extremely unlikely to happen. For past missions the EDL data were released to PDS years after the landing. Even the MSL landing simulation on Eyes wasn't based on realtime data AFAIK.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:30 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.